Slow-Cooked Brown Sugar Pulled Pork – Perfect For Any Occasion!
I’m excited to share with you my favorite recipe for brown sugar pulled pork! It’s one of those dishes that I can’t get enough of, and it always impresses my family and friends. This recipe is simple to make and uses just a few ingredients, yet the flavor is out of this world! The pork is cooked in an amazing blend of spices and herbs, and the brown sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness. There’s nothing better than chowing down on some of this delicious pulled pork, especially when it’s served with some warm, fluffy rolls and a side of coleslaw. This is one recipe you won’t want to miss!
Brown Sugar Pulled Pork Recipe
- 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Start off by prepping your ingredients. Take the pork shoulder roast and cut it into 2-inch cubes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork cubes and cook until they are browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, and cinnamon until combined.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the pork cubes and stir to coat.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar and chicken broth into the skillet and stir. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 3 hours, remove the skillet from the heat and let the pork cool for 15 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred the pork into small pieces.
- Serve the pork with your favorite sides and enjoy!
- Calories: 341
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Sodium: 412mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 17g
- Protein: 27g
What flavor combinations make this dish so tasty?
The delicious flavor combinations in this Brown Sugar Pulled Pork dish make it truly tantalizing! The sweetness of the brown sugar is balanced by the smoky, savory taste of the pork, while a hint of garlic and mustard add an extra kick. The combination of these seasonings and ingredients creates a unique flavor that can’t be matched. As if that wasn’t enough, the addition of apple cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce brings an extra level of complexity to the overall flavor.
How can this dish be served as a main course or as a side dish?
This delicious and savory dish of Brown Sugar Pulled Pork can be used in so many ways! It’s perfect as a main course, served alongside a side of creamy mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Or, it can be served as a side dish to accompany roasted chicken or a juicy steak.
What are the key benefits of making brown sugar pulled pork?
Tender and Juicy: Brown sugar pulled pork is the perfect dish to make if you’re looking for a succulent and juicy pork roast. The brown sugar adds a unique sweetness that helps to tenderize the pork, resulting in a melt-in-your-mouth experience that’s sure to be a hit.
- Versatile: Brown sugar pulled pork can be used in all sorts of dishes, from tacos and burritos to sandwiches and salads. The versatility of the dish makes it an ideal choice for any occasion, whether you’re having a casual dinner with friends or a more formal dinner party.
- Easy to Make: Brown sugar pulled pork is incredibly easy to make. All you need to do is combine the ingredients in a slow cooker and let the dish cook for a few hours. You can also bake it in the oven or on a grill for a delicious smoky flavor.
- Healthy: Brown sugar pulled pork is a healthier alternative to traditional pulled pork. The brown sugar helps to cut down on the fat and calories, making it a great choice for people who are trying to eat healthier.
- Affordable: Brown sugar pulled pork is an affordable dish that won’t break the bank. It’s a great option for busy families on a budget, since it can be made with ingredients that are easy to find and won’t cost a lot.
What tips can you share for creating the perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture?
Take your time: Patience is key when it comes to achieving that perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture. Don’t rush the cooking process and take the time to get it just right.
- Low and slow: The best way to get that melt-in-your-mouth texture is to cook your brown sugar pulled pork at a low temperature for a longer period of time. This allows the pork to slowly infuse with the flavors of the marinade and create a sumptuously tender texture.
- Get sticky: Another key to achieving that melt-in-your-mouth texture is to get your pork as sticky and caramelized as possible. This can be done by basting the pork with the marinade while it’s cooking.
- Let it rest: Once the pork is cooked, let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. This will help lock in all the flavors and allow the pork to be even more tender and succulent.
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment and try different marinades and cooking techniques to get that perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture.
What are some of the health benefits of eating brown sugar pulled pork?
Brown sugar pulled pork is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy the flavors of barbecue without compromising the nutritional value of your meal. Here are some of the health benefits of eating this delicious dish:
- Brown sugar pulled pork is a great source of protein. It contains lean pork, which is packed with essential amino acids that are necessary for cell growth and muscle repair. This makes it an excellent choice for those looking to build muscle or maintain a healthy weight.
- Brown sugar pulled pork is also an excellent source of iron, which helps to transport oxygen and other nutrients throughout the body. Eating this dish is a great way to ensure your body has enough iron to keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
- Rich in healthy fats, brown sugar pulled pork helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. By eating this dish, you can help to balance your cholesterol levels and keep your heart healthy.
- Brown sugar pulled pork is also high in B vitamins, which are essential for a healthy metabolism. Eating this dish can help to keep your metabolism running smoothly, which will help you burn more calories and maintain a healthy weight.
- Lastly, brown sugar pulled pork is low in sodium, making it a great choice for those looking to reduce their sodium intake. Eating this dish can help you to stay hydrated, regulate blood pressure, and reduce your risk of developing hypertension.
All in all, brown sugar pulled pork is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy the flavors of barbecue without sacrificing the nutritional value of your meal.
What are the best side dishes to pair with brown sugar pulled pork?
When it comes to pairing a delicious side dish with brown sugar pulled pork, it’s hard to go wrong! Whether you’re throwing a potluck or hosting a backyard BBQ, there are so many delicious options to choose from. Here are some of our favorite side dishes to pair with brown sugar pulled pork:
- Baked beans: Baked beans are a classic side dish for pulled pork. Not only does their smoky flavor pair perfectly with the sweetness of the pork, but they’re also an easy and budget-friendly option.
- Coleslaw: Another classic side dish for pulled pork (and BBQs in general) is coleslaw. Not only does its crunchy texture provide a nice contrast to the juicy meat, but it’s also a great way to get more veggies into your meal.
- Potato salad: Potato salad is a great way to add a bit of extra flavor and texture to your pulled pork. It’s easy to make, and you can customize it to your liking with whatever herbs and spices you’d like.
- Mac and cheese: Mac and cheese is always a crowd pleaser and it pairs perfectly with brown sugar pulled pork. Whether you make it from scratch or use a box mix, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone at the table.
- Cornbread: Cornbread is a great way to make your meal a bit more hearty. It’s also a great way to get some extra carbs into your meal, and it pairs perfectly with pulled pork.
By combining brown sugar pulled pork with any of these delicious side dishes, you’re sure to have a meal that everyone will love.
What other recipes can be made using the same ingredients as brown sugar pulled pork?
If you’ve already tried your hand at making delicious brown sugar pulled pork, why not use the same ingredients to make something else tasty? With just a few simple tweaks, you can transform your pork into a variety of unique dishes that are just as appetizing as the original. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Barbecue Pork Sandwiches: Take your pulled pork and stir in a few tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce. Place the pork onto a toasted bun and top with a drizzle of mayonnaise and some crisp lettuce. It’s the perfect way to enjoy a classic dish with a twist!
- Pulled Pork Tacos: Mix together your pulled pork with a few tablespoons of taco seasoning and scoop it into taco shells with diced tomatoes, onion and cheese. Top with a dollop of sour cream and salsa for a Mexican-inspired meal.
- Pork Quesadillas: Combine your pulled pork with some diced bell peppers, shredded cheese and a sprinkle of taco seasoning. Place the mixture between two flour tortillas and cook on a griddle until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve with a side of guacamole and sour cream.
- Pulled Pork Pizza: Spread some pizza sauce over a pre-made pizza crust and top with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and your pulled pork. Bake until the cheese is melted and enjoy a unique take on a classic Italian dish.
These are just a few ideas for recipes you can make with the same ingredients as your brown sugar pulled pork.