I have a special place in my heart for blueberry cornbread. I have been making it for years, and it’s always been a hit with my family and friends. I love the way the sweetness of the blueberries contrasts with the slightly nutty flavor of the cornmeal. The texture is always just perfect – slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and moist in the middle. It’s the perfect accompaniment to a summer barbecue or an autumn family gathering. I look forward to sharing this recipe with you so you can experience the same deliciousness I do every time I make blueberry cornbread!
Blueberry Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, yellow corn meal, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and light brown sugar until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, then pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cornbread cool in the pan for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.8 g
- Sugar: 8.7 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
- Sodium: 192 mg
- Fiber: 2.1 g
What makes blueberry cornbread so special?
Blueberry cornbread is special because it combines the sweetness of blueberries with the savory taste of cornbread. It’s like having the best of both worlds in one delicious treat! The sweet blueberries and cornbread pair perfectly together, making it a great alternative to traditional cornbread. The added blueberries also give it a unique flavor that can’t be replicated with any other ingredients.
What are some interesting ways to serve blueberry cornbread?
If you’re looking for a delicious way to enjoy blueberry cornbread, you’re in luck! There are some truly creative and interesting recipes out there that will make this classic dish shine. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Blueberry Cornbread Muffins: If you’re looking for a sweet and moist snack, these blueberry cornbread muffins are perfect. Top them with a dollop of honey butter for even more flavor.
- Blueberry Cornbread Cake: Give your blueberry cornbread a twist by turning it into a cake! This recipe is incredibly moist and flavorful, and it makes a great dessert for any occasion.
- Blueberry Cornbread Pancakes: Who said pancakes have to be boring? Jazz up your breakfast by making blueberry cornbread pancakes. Top them with your favorite syrup and enjoy.
- Blueberry Cornbread Pudding: This creamy and delicious pudding is an excellent way to use up leftover blueberry cornbread. Add a dollop of cream and some fresh blueberries to make this dessert even better.
No matter how you decide to serve blueberry cornbread, it’s sure to be a hit.
How do you get a moist and fluffy texture in your cornbread?
- Getting a moist and fluffy texture in your blueberry cornbread is easy! Here are a few helpful tips to ensure that your cornbread turns out perfectly every time:
- Use a combination of cornmeal and all-purpose flour. The combination of the two starches helps create a light and fluffy texture.
- Add butter or olive oil to the batter. This will help keep the cornbread moist and provide flavor.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Mix just until the ingredients are combined. Overmixing can make the cornbread tough.
- Use a combination of fresh and frozen blueberries. The fresh berries will add sweet flavor, while the frozen ones help keep the moisture in the cornbread.
- Bake the cornbread until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
What tips and tricks can you use to make blueberry cornbread more flavorful?
Add an extra hint of sweetness – Spice things up with some honey, brown sugar, or maple syrup. Honey goes especially well with blueberries, as does maple syrup.
- Amp up the vanilla – Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract for a stronger vanilla flavor.
- Make it moist – Try adding a little bit of melted butter or Greek yogurt to the batter for a delicious, moist texture.
- Boost the blueberry flavor – To get an extra punch of blueberry flavor, add a few tablespoons of blueberry jam or compote to the batter.
- Add a crunch – Toss in some chopped nuts or oats to give the cornbread a crunchy texture.
- Spice it up – A little bit of cinnamon or nutmeg will add a warm, spicy flavor to the cornbread.
- Make it cheesy – Top the cornbread with some shredded cheese for a delicious and cheesy twist.
How do you know when blueberry cornbread is done baking?
The best way to know when your blueberry cornbread is done baking is to use a toothpick or cake tester to check the center. If it comes out clean, you can be sure your blueberry cornbread is done!
- You’ll also want to keep an eye on the top of your cornbread – when it begins to turn golden brown, it’s likely getting close to being done.
- A good rule of thumb is to always keep the baking time to within the range suggested in your recipe. Overbaking can ruin the texture of the cornbread, so watch the clock!.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to use your nose! A delicious aroma coming from the oven is usually a sign that your blueberry cornbread is ready to be taken out.
What are the health benefits of adding blueberries to cornbread?
Adding blueberries to cornbread can have a huge impact on your health. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can help support a healthy immune system, provide essential energy, and improve overall health.
- Blueberries are known to contain a high amount of antioxidants, which help protect the body from oxidative damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. They also have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- They are also a great source of vitamin C, which is an essential vitamin for boosting the immune system and protecting against illnesses. In addition, blueberries provide fiber and potassium, which can help regulate blood pressure and aid in digestion.
- Blueberries also contain a variety of minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and zinc, which can help support healthy bones and tissues. Furthermore, they provide essential fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6, which can help improve heart health.
- Finally, adding blueberries to your cornbread can help to make it a more nutrient-dense snack or meal. This can help you to feel fuller for longer, as well as providing essential nutrients for your body to use and store.
Overall, adding blueberries to your cornbread can provide a range of health benefits, from boosting the immune system to improving overall health.
What are some unique variations of blueberry cornbread?
When it comes to blueberry cornbread, the possibilities are endless! From sweet to savory, simple to complex, there are so many unique variations you can try. Here are some of our favorite recipes to get you started:
- Honey-Cinnamon Blueberry Cornbread – This sweet and spicy variation combines the traditional cornbread base with the sweetness of honey and a hint of cinnamon. Top it off with a sprinkle of blueberries and you’ve got a delicious treat!
- Blueberry Bacon Cornbread – For a savory twist, try this variation which combines salty bacon and tangy blueberries. The combination of flavors is sure to be a hit!
- Orange-Blueberry Cornbread – This recipe adds in a hint of citrus to the mix with freshly grated orange zest. The orange flavor pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the blueberries, and it looks beautiful too!
- Coconut-Blueberry Cornbread – If you’re looking for something unique, try this coconut-blueberry cornbread. The coconut adds a subtle sweetness, and the blueberries are a great contrast in texture.
- Buttermilk Blueberry Cornbread – Buttermilk is the key to making this cornbread extra fluffy and delicious. Add in some fresh or frozen blueberries and you’ve got a treat that’s sure to please.