These vegan taquitos have been a staple in my family for years! I remember my mom making them for us as a special treat when I was a kid – the combination of beefy seitan, melted vegan cheese, and crunchy corn tortillas was always a hit. We all loved the way the taquitos had a perfect balance of flavor and texture, and I’m excited to share this recipe with you. Whether you’re vegan or not, these Beefy Vegan Taquitos will be sure to please everyone’s taste buds!
Beefy Vegan Taquitos Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegan beef crumbles
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 small corn tortillas
- vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and garlic, and sauté until they are softened and lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for another minute or two.
- Add in the black beans, vegan beef crumbles, and vegan cheese. Stir to combine and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- In a small bowl, heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, dip both sides of the tortilla into the hot oil for about 10-15 seconds to soften.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the beefy vegan filling onto the center of the tortilla, and roll up tightly. Place the rolled taquito onto a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling until all are rolled.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Serve hot with your favorite vegan dips and toppings. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 taquito
- Calories: 98
- Total Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 246mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 8.6g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.3g
- Sugars: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.1g
What type of vegan beef substitute is best for vegan taquitos?
The best vegan beef substitute for vegan taquitos is seitan.
Seitan is made from wheat gluten and is a particularly versatile vegan meat substitute. It has a texture and flavor that closely mimics the texture and flavor of cooked ground beef. In terms of nutrient content, seitan is high in protein and iron, making it an excellent source of both. It’s also low in fat, making it a healthier alternative to traditional beef.
When making vegan taquitos, it’s best to use a pre-seasoned seitan. This will give the taquitos a more flavorful and authentic taste. Additionally, seitan can be cooked in a variety of ways, making it a great option for taquitos. It can be cooked in a skillet, air-fried, or even oven-baked if desired.
To make vegan taquitos with seitan, start by pre-heating the oven to 375°F (190°C). Then, cook the seitan according to the directions on the package. Once cooked, shred the seitan with two forks and set aside. Next, warm the tortillas and fill each one with the seitan, black beans, and vegan cheese. Roll each filled tortilla into a taquito shape and place on a baking sheet. Bake the taquitos for 15 minutes, and then serve with your favorite vegan toppings.
Seitan is the perfect vegan beef substitute for vegan taquitos, thanks to its flavorful and authentic taste. Plus, it can be cooked in a variety of ways, making it an versatile option. With these tips, you can make delicious vegan taquitos the whole family will love.
What are vegan taquitos and what are their health benefits?
Vegan taquitos are a vegetarian-friendly, cruelty-free alternative to the traditional beef-filled taquito. They are made with plant-based ingredients, like beans, tofu, and vegetables, and they are usually rolled into a tortilla shell.
Health benefits of vegan taquitos include:
- High in plant-based protein: Vegan taquitos are packed with protein from beans, nuts, and tofu, providing a great source of nutrition for vegetarians and vegans.
- Low in saturated fat: Unlike traditional beef-filled taquitos, vegan taquitos are low in saturated fat and cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Low in calories: Most vegan taquitos are low in calories, making them a great snack option for those watching their weight.
- High in fiber: Vegan taquitos are filled with fiber from plant-based ingredients, helping to keep you full and satisfied for longer.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Plant-based ingredients are great sources of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and E, as well as iron and magnesium.
What are some tips and tricks for making vegan taquitos?
Make sure to use vegan-friendly ingredients. Keep an eye out for dairy-free vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, and vegan refried beans.
- Prepare the filling ahead of time and let it cool before rolling it into the taquitos.
- Use a good quality vegan tortilla so that the taquitos won’t crack while rolling.
- Preheat the oven to bake the taquitos.
- Brush the taquitos with a bit of oil before baking to make them crispy.
- Bake the taquitos for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the taquitos with salsa, guacamole, and/or vegan sour cream for extra flavor.
What ingredients are needed to make vegan taquitos?
To make delicious vegan taquitos, you will need a few simple ingredients. The main ingredients for this vegan-friendly version include: vegan ground beef, canned black beans, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, vegan cheese, and tortillas. You will also need some oil for frying.
Vegan ground beef is the star of this dish, and is available in many different varieties. The most popular type of vegan ground beef is made from textured vegetable protein (TVP) and is usually flavored with spices to mimic the flavor of beef. It can be found in most health food stores.
Canned black beans are a great way to add protein and fiber to the dish, and are a great substitute for the traditional beef filling. Drain and rinse the beans before using. Diced tomatoes add more flavor and texture, and taco seasoning helps to give the taquitos a Mexican flair.
Vegan cheese can be added for a creamier, more flavorful filling. Look for a vegan cheese that melts well, as this will give the taquitos a gooey and delicious texture.
Tortillas are the final ingredient. Use smaller, 6-inch tortillas for easier rolling, and make sure they are soft and pliable so they don’t crack when rolling.
Once the ingredients are assembled, the taquitos can be assembled and fried in oil.
What steps are necessary to make vegan taquitos?
To make vegan taquitos, you will need to gather a few ingredients, prepare them, and then assemble the taquitos.
First, you will need to gather your ingredients. You will need vegan tortillas, vegan cheese, vegan beef crumbles, canned black beans, canned corn, diced tomatoes, vegan sour cream, and any other desired ingredients for additional flavor.
Next, you will need to prepare the ingredients. To do this, heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the vegan beef crumbles. Cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Next, add the black beans and corn to the pan and cook until heated through. Finally, stir in the diced tomatoes and any desired seasonings.
Once the ingredients are prepared, you will need to assemble the vegan taquitos. To do this, lay the vegan tortillas out flat on the counter. Divide the vegan cheese among the tortillas and spread it in an even layer. Top with the prepared beef crumbles and any desired additional ingredients. Carefully roll up the tortillas and place them seam-side down on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, or until the tortillas are golden brown and crispy.
Finally, serve the vegan taquitos with vegan sour cream, salsa, or any other desired toppings.
What are creative ways to serve vegan taquitos?
Creative ways to serve vegan taquitos can range from traditional Mexican-style dishes to more inventive recipes. Here are some ideas for vegan taquito recipes to try:
- Vegan Taquito Bowls: Create a vegan version of the classic Mexican dish by layering vegan taquitos with beans, vegetables, and vegan cheese. Top with vegan sour cream and salsa for a delicious and nourishing meal.
- Crispy Baked Taquitos: For a healthier take on taquitos, try baking them. Simply roll vegan taquitos in a thin coating of vegan butter and bake until golden and crispy. Serve with a side of guacamole or salsa.
- Vegan Taquitos Casserole: A vegan taquitos casserole is a great way to feed a crowd. Layer vegan taquitos with vegan cheese and vegetables, then bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Chorizo and Potato Taquitos: Make a vegan version of the classic Mexican dish by substituting vegan chorizo for the beef. Stuff vegan taquitos with potatoes, vegan chorizo, and vegan cheese, then bake until golden and delicious.
- Sweet Potato Taquitos: For a tasty and nutritious twist on vegan taquitos, try stuffing them with sweet potatoes. Simply mash cooked sweet potatoes, mix in some spices, and stuff the taquitos. Bake until golden and serve with a side of vegan sour cream.
No matter how you choose to serve vegan taquitos, you can be sure they’ll be a hit! With a variety of creative recipes to choose from, you can enjoy the flavors of Mexican cuisine without the meat.
What condiments can be used to enhance the flavor of vegan taquitos?
When it comes to vegan taquitos, condiments are key for adding flavor and texture. Popular condiments that can be used to enhance the flavor of vegan taquitos include salsa, guacamole, vegan cheese sauce, and vegan sour cream.
Salsa is one of the most popular condiments to accompany vegan taquitos. It adds a spicy kick and plenty of flavor to the dish, and there are many varieties to choose from. Try a mild, medium, or spicy variety, depending on your preference. You can also opt for a fruity salsa made with mango, pineapple, or other fruits.
Guacamole is another great condiment for vegan taquitos. Not only is it delicious, but it adds a creamy texture and a subtle flavor. Traditional guacamole is made with avocados, tomatoes, onion, and lime juice, but you can also add other ingredients like cilantro and jalapeno for extra flavor.
Vegan cheese sauce is a delicious way to add extra flavor and creaminess to vegan taquitos. You can make your own vegan cheese sauce with nutritional yeast, vegan cream cheese, plant-based milk, and seasonings. Or, you can purchase a ready-made vegan cheese sauce to save time.
Finally, vegan sour cream is an excellent condiment for vegan taquitos. It adds a creamy texture and a tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with the vegan taco filling. You can make your own vegan sour cream with cashews, vegan yogurt, and seasonings, or you can purchase a store-bought version.