This dish is a unique and delicious twist on the classic shakshuka. It combines crispy latkes with a flavorful green shakshuka, and is perfect for a weekend brunch or anytime you’re craving something hearty and satisfying. The best part is that it’s easy to make, and can be tailored to your liking by adding additional toppings like feta cheese or chopped herbs. Give it a try – you won’t be disappointed!
- -1/3 cup olive oil
- -1 large onion, chopped
- -3 cloves garlic, minced
- -1 1/2 lbs mixed greens, chopped
- -1/4 cup veg stock
- -1 cup mixed fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, basil), chopped
- -1 tsp za’atar spice blend (or thyme or oregano)
- -1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño pepper (about 1 pepper)
- -1 tsp salt
- -1/4 tsp black pepper
- -1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg + more to taste
- -.5 to .75 cups half and half cream
1. Fill a large bowl with cold water and soak the potatoes and onions for 10 minutes to release the potato starch.
2. While the potatoes and onions soak, prepare the ingredients for your shakshuka by finely chopping the onion, slicing the garlic, removing stems from greens, and finely diced 1 tablespoon of jalapeño. Also measure out 1 cup packed of chopped mixed fresh herbs.
3. Set a clean kitchen towel on the counter near the sink. Using your hands, lift handfuls of potatoes and onions out of water while squeezing out as much water as possible back into bowl (potato starch will settle at bottom).
4. Set squeezed-out mixture onto towel, fold over, and squeeze out remaining liquid before setting aside.
5. Let potato water settle for 5 minutes then drain all but white potato starch at bottom of large bowl into another smaller bowl or container .
6. Add squeezed-out mixture to sludge in bottom of large bowl then add 2 eggs, salt ,and pepper before stirring it all together—set latke batter aside .
7. Make shakshuka by adding olive oil to 12 inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat then adding onions once shimmering and cooking until light golden
- Serving size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 511
- Fat: 33 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated fat: 25 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Sugar : 6g