I love making empanadas. They’re so easy to customize with whatever ingredients I have on hand, and they’re always a hit with my family. My favorite empanadas are the Baked Chicken Empanadas. They’re savory, delicious and full of flavor. The best part is that they’re baked – so I don’t have to worry about deep-frying them! This recipe is my go-to for a quick and tasty meal that my whole family enjoys.
Baked Chicken Empanadas Recipe
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen empanada shells (such as Goya® discos)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- ½ cup Mexican-style corn
- 1 fire-roasted hatch green chile, chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning (such as Goya®)
- ½ cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, corn, green chile, and adobo seasoning and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the Oaxaca and Cheddar cheeses.
- Place the empanada shells on a baking sheet. Divide the filling among the shells and fold them closed.
- Bake the empanadas for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 empanada (125g)
- Calories: 206
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Sodium: 442mg
- Fiber: 1.3g
The origins and cultural significance of the dish.
Baked Chicken Empanadas are a traditional dish originating from Latin America that has become a popular favorite around the world. Its roots trace back to the Spanish settlers who arrived in the Americas in the 16th century, bringing their own culinary traditions with them. Empanadas are a type of pastry that is filled with various ingredients, such as meats, cheeses, and vegetables, and then folded and sealed before being baked. The classic baked chicken empanada includes shredded chicken, onions, garlic, and bell peppers, all seasoned with a blend of Latin American spices.
The dish has become a symbol of Latin American culture, with many countries developing their own unique variations on the original recipe. Empanadas are popular party foods, served at weddings, holidays, and other celebrations. They can also be enjoyed as a quick snack or light meal. The combination of spicy, savory, and sweet flavors makes them a favorite among children and adults alike.
No matter where they are made or enjoyed, baked chicken empanadas are sure to bring a feeling of warmth and flavor to any meal. Their rich cultural history and delicious flavor make them a favorite in Latin American kitchens and beyond.
The health benefits of the ingredients used in the dish.
Chicken: Chicken is a lean protein source that is extremely versatile in many types of dishes. Baked chicken empanadas provide a healthy and delicious way to get your daily protein requirement. Chicken is also high in essential vitamins and minerals, such as B vitamins, phosphorus and selenium.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is widely known for its potential health benefits. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which can help reduce bad cholesterol levels in the body and promote healthy arteries. It is also a rich source of antioxidants and can help improve overall heart health.
- Bell peppers: Bell peppers are highly nutritious and are an excellent source of vitamin C, beta carotene, folate and potassium. They are also rich in antioxidants, which can help protect against certain diseases.
- Cheese: Cheese is a great source of calcium, which can help build strong bones and teeth. It is also high in protein and can provide a boost of energy.
- Onions: Onions are a great source of dietary fiber, which can help promote healthy digestion. They are also rich in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and protect against certain diseases.
- Flour: Flour is an excellent source of carbohydrates, which can help provide energy and help keep you feeling full for longer. It is also a great source of important vitamins and minerals, such as iron, B vitamins and thiamin.
The history of the dish and its evolution over time.
Baked Chicken Empanadas have a long and interesting history that spans several centuries and cultures. Originating in Spain and Portugal, these savoury pastries are believed to have been introduced to Latin America in the 1600s. Since then, these baked treats have evolved to include a variety of different fillings.
The original empanadas were filled with pork, beef or fish, and were usually fried instead of being baked. However, as the dish spread across Latin America, so did the ingredients and preparation methods. Chicken became a popular filling, as well as vegetables and cheese. In Mexico, for example, the popular baked chicken empanadas are filled with shredded chicken, onions, bell peppers and cheese.
Today, baked chicken empanadas can be found all over the world. In some countries, the recipes have been adapted to include a variety of different ingredients, from olives to potatoes to jalapeños. The baking method has also become popular, as it is seen as a healthier alternative to frying.
No matter what country they are found in, baked chicken empanadas remain a beloved snack or appetizer that is sure to please any crowd. It’s no wonder they have become such a popular dish, with their long and interesting history and delicious flavour combinations.
Various regional variations of the dish.
Baked Chicken Empanadas are a popular dish throughout the world, and each region has its own unique version. From Latin American countries to the Mediterranean, there are countless regional variations of this delicious dish. Here are just a few of the regional variations of Baked Chicken Empanadas:
Latin American Variations
In Latin American countries, Baked Chicken Empanadas often have a light and flaky crust and are filled with a mixture of chicken, vegetables, and spices. These empanadas are often served with a side of salsa or a dipping sauce.
In the Mediterranean, Baked Chicken Empanadas are typically stuffed with an aromatic mix of chicken, vegetables, and spices and then baked until golden brown. The crust is often crispy and buttery, and the empanada is usually served with a dollop of yogurt or a fresh salad.
In Asian countries, Baked Chicken Empanadas often feature a savory filling of chicken, vegetables, and spices, as well as a crispy fried exterior. These empanadas are usually served with a soy-based dipping sauce or a sweet and spicy chili sauce.
No matter which version you try, Baked Chicken Empanadas are sure to be a hit. These delicious dishes are perfect for any occasion, and the various regional variations make them even more special.
How to customize the dish to individual tastes.
When making baked chicken empanadas, there are many options for customizing the dish to individual tastes. To begin, consider the type of chicken you will use. For a mild flavor, opt for white meat, or for a bolder flavor, choose dark meat. Additionally, the seasonings used to flavor the chicken can be adjusted to suit personal preferences.
When it comes to the dough, you may want to experiment with different types of pastry dough, such as a whole wheat or spelt version. Also, consider adding a bit of grated cheese to the dough for a cheesy crust.
When it comes to the filling, you can get creative and change up the vegetables or add other ingredients such as diced tomatoes, olives, or roasted red peppers. You could also add additional spices and herbs to the filling, such as oregano, thyme, or smoked paprika.
The glaze used to top the empanadas can also be changed. For a sweeter glaze, try adding a bit of honey or maple syrup. Alternatively, for a savory glaze, add cheese, garlic, and spices.
With these simple tips, you can customize your baked chicken empanadas to suit your individual tastes.