This cake is a classic. The combination of maraschino cherries and nuts is irresistible, and the fluffy cake is the perfect base for this delicious treat. This cake is sure to be a hit at any party or gathering.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 2 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ⅔ cup whole milk, room temperature
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup whole milk or cream
- 6 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract or cherry extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or one 9×13-inch cake pan.
2. Reserve 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice. Coarsely chop the cherries to make 1/2 cup. Set aside.
3. Sift cake flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and set aside.
4. Beat shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 1/3 cups white sugar and beat until well combined; add egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition..
5. Combine 2/3 cup milk and reserved 1/4 cup cherry juice; add flour mixture to shortening mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.. Stir in chopped cherries and nuts then pour batter into prepared pans.. 6 In preheated oven bake cakes until they spring back when lightly touched with a finger or a tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes for round cakes (or 30 to 35 minutes for a 9×13 inch pan); cool
- Calories: 2037
- Fat: 95g
- Saturated fat: 58g
- Unsaturated fat: 27g
- Trans fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 272.5g
- Sugar: 172.5 g Fiber: 4.2 g Protein: 16 g