Deliciously Moist Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake is the perfect indulgence for your sweet tooth! I’ve been baking this cake for years and it’s always a hit with my family and friends. It’s simple to make, but tastes like something from a bakery. I love the spicy pumpkin flavor and the crunchy streusel topping. Plus, it’s made with whole wheat flour and doesn’t require any butter or oil. I’m sure you’ll love this cake as much as I do!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground ginger and ground cloves.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, light brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and stir to combine.
- Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Finally, stir in the milk and chopped walnuts.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and pour the batter in. Sprinkle the raw sugar on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy!
- Calories: 391
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Sodium: 219mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 57g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 32g
- Protein: 7g
What makes this recipe special?
This Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake recipe is special because it’s the perfect balance of healthful and delicious! The fluffy, moist cake is made with wholesome ingredients like whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt, and natural sweeteners. It also has a subtly spiced pumpkin flavor, making it a great seasonal treat. Plus, the crunchy streusel topping adds an irresistible texture and flavor to this classic dessert.
What are the health benefits of using whole wheat flour?
Whole wheat flour is a great alternative to other flours for baking. It is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that provide a range of health benefits.
- Whole wheat flour is rich in dietary fiber, which helps promote better digestion and can aid in weight loss. It also contains essential minerals like iron, zinc, and magnesium which are important for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Whole wheat flour is high in complex carbohydrates, which provide sustained energy throughout the day. It also contains B vitamins, which help to regulate metabolism and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Whole wheat flour is a great source of antioxidants, which help to reduce inflammation and protect the body from disease. The fiber content helps to reduce cholesterol levels, which can help to prevent heart disease.
- Whole wheat flour is a healthier alternative to white flour as it is not heavily processed. It also helps to boost the immune system and can help to reduce the risk of certain illnesses.
Overall, whole wheat flour is a great option for baking and provides a range of health benefits. Incorporating it into your diet can help to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
What are some tips and tricks for baking the perfect whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake?
If you’re looking to make the perfect whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake, here are some tips and tricks you can use!
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F. This is the perfect temperature for baking any kind of cake.
- Combine the wet ingredients together in one bowl, and the dry ingredients in another. This will help ensure that all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray. This will make it easier to remove the cake from the pan after it’s done baking.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Don’t over mix the batter, as this can make the cake dense and dry.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon, sugar, and chopped nuts on top for a bit of crunch.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool before serving.
What makes whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake the perfect fall dessert?
Whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake is the perfect fall dessert because it has the warm, comforting flavors of the season! The pumpkin and spices in the cake provide a rich, earthy flavor while the whole wheat flour adds a nutty, wholesome note. It’s a delicious, healthy treat that everyone can enjoy. Plus, it goes perfectly with a steaming cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.
How can you customize this recipe to make it your own?
If you’re looking to make this Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake your own, there are plenty of ways to customize the recipe. The great thing about baking is that almost anything can be adjusted to fit your tastes! Whether you’re looking to increase the sweetness or make the cake a bit more savory, here are some ideas to get you started.
First, if you want to make the cake a bit sweeter, you can increase the amount of sugar in the recipe. You can also replace some of the granulated sugar with brown sugar or honey to add a deeper sweetness. For a more savory cake, you can add some spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, or cloves to the batter. These spices pair nicely with the pumpkin and will give the cake a subtle savory flavor.
You can also switch up the type of pumpkin you use. If you want a richer flavor, try roasting the pumpkin instead of using canned. You can also replace the pumpkin with sweet potatoes or carrots for a unique flavor.
If you’re looking for a more decadent cake, you can add some chocolate chips or nuts to the batter. Walnuts, pecans, and almonds all pair nicely with the pumpkin. You can also use other dried fruits like raisins or cranberries.
Finally, you can top the cake with a simple glaze or frosting. You can make a traditional glaze with powdered sugar and cream or try something a bit more creative like a maple cream cheese frosting.
Making this Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake your own is easy and fun. With a few simple tweaks, you can create a unique and delicious dessert that everyone will enjoy.
What ingredients can you substitute if you don’t have all the ingredients?
No problem! If you’re missing an ingredient or two to make your Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake, there are plenty of handy substitutes you can use instead. To make the cake, you’ll need all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, pumpkin puree, eggs, butter, vegetable oil, and brown sugar. But don’t worry if you don’t have all of these ingredients at hand. Here are some replacements you can use in a pinch:
- All-Purpose Flour: If you don’t have all-purpose flour, you can use any type of baking flour, such as cake flour, wheat flour, or whole wheat flour (which you can also use as a substitute for whole wheat flour).
- Pumpkin Puree: If you don’t have pumpkin puree, you can use canned pumpkin, mashed sweet potatoes, or even mashed bananas.
- Eggs: If you don’t have eggs, you can use flax seed eggs or a mixture of 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water to replace one egg.
- Butter: If you don’t have butter, you can use vegetable oil, coconut oil, or even applesauce.
- Brown Sugar: If you don’t have brown sugar, you can use granulated sugar instead.
Now you can have your cake and eat it too! Even if you don’t have all the ingredients for your Whole Wheat Pumpkin Coffee Cake, you can still make a delicious treat by substituting other ingredients.
What are some creative ways to serve whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake?
If you’re looking for creative ways to serve up a delicious whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake, you’re in luck! There are so many different ways to enjoy this tasty treat that are sure to please everyone. From adding a scoop of ice cream to turning it into a trifle, here are some of our favorite creative ways to serve whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake.
- Topping it with Whipped Cream: Adding a dollop of freshly whipped cream is a great way to top off your coffee cake. Not only does it add a bit of sweetness and creaminess, it also looks beautiful. You can also top it with some toasted pecans or walnuts for a crunchy contrast.
- Turning it into a Trifle: Trifles are always a show-stopping dessert. Take your coffee cake and cut it into cubes and layer it in a bowl with some heavy cream, pumpkin puree, and spices. Top it off with a sprinkle of cinnamon and you’ve got yourself a delicious and impressive trifle.
- Serving it with Ice Cream: Ice cream is a classic way to top off any dessert. For this coffee cake, add a scoop of your favorite ice cream to a plate and top it with a hearty piece of the cake. This is sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike!
- Making a Parfait: Parfaits are a great way to make a dessert look fancy. Layer the cake in a glass with some yogurt, cream, pumpkin puree, and spices. Top it off with a sprinkle of cinnamon and you’ve got yourself an easy and delicious parfait.
No matter how you choose to serve your whole wheat pumpkin coffee cake, it’s sure to be a hit! With these creative ideas, you’re sure to find a way to enjoy this delicious treat.