I love baking and I’m always looking for new and exciting recipes to try. Today, I am so excited to make these delicious Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies. I know they’ll be a hit with my family and friends because they are easy to make and so full of flavor. I can’t wait to get started!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Let’s make some delicious Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies!
- Gather all the ingredients: 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (softened), 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, light brown sugar and white sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, blending well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 8 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Now your Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are ready to enjoy!
- Calories: 341 per serving
- Total Fat: 15.6g
- Saturated Fat: 9.4g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Sodium: 283mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 44.7g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.8g
- Sugars: 28.5g
- Protein: 4.5g
What makes whole wheat chocolate chip cookies special?
Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are special because they offer a delicious combination of the classic flavors of a classic chocolate chip cookie, combined with the nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour. These cookies are a healthier alternative to traditional chocolate chip cookies, and they still taste just as amazing!
Whole wheat flour offers a variety of health benefits, including providing essential nutrients such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is also high in antioxidants and helps to regulate blood sugar levels. With all these health benefits, it’s no wonder that whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are becoming more and more popular.
Not only are whole wheat chocolate chip cookies healthier, but they also have a distinct flavor that sets them apart from regular chocolate chip cookies. Whole wheat flour adds a nutty and slightly earthy flavor that pairs well with the sweetness of the chocolate chips. The texture is also slightly different, with a more chewy and hearty texture that is sure to satisfy.
Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without sacrificing nutrition. They are a healthier alternative to traditional chocolate chip cookies and still just as delicious.
What substitutes can you use to make them healthier?
If you want to make your whole wheat chocolate chip cookies healthier, there are several substitutions you can use to achieve this. You can try using whole wheat flour instead of white flour, substituting applesauce for butter, and using dark chocolate chips instead of regular semi-sweet morsels.
Whole wheat flour is a great substitution because it has a lower glycemic index than white flour, meaning that it raises your blood sugar level more slowly. It will also add a nuttier flavor to your cookies. You can substitute applesauce for butter because it has fewer calories and less fat. Applesauce also adds a hint of sweetness to your cookies.
Finally, dark chocolate chips are a healthier alternative to semi-sweet morsels. Dark chocolate has fewer calories and is a good source of antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation in the body. It also has a richer flavor than semi-sweet chips, so it will add a deeper flavor to your cookies.
By incorporating these substitutions into your recipe, you can make your whole wheat chocolate chip cookies healthier without sacrificing flavor.
How do you make sure the cookies turn out soft and chewy?
Add an extra egg yolk – Egg yolks are full of fat, which helps keep the cookies soft and chewy.
- Choose the right fats – Use butter, rather than oil, for the best texture.
- Use brown sugar – It has more moisture than white sugar, so it helps keep the cookies soft.
- Don’t overmix – Overmixing activates the gluten in the flour, which can make the cookies tough instead of soft and chewy.
- Underbake – Take the cookies out of the oven when they’re still soft and a bit underbaked. They’ll continue to cook in the pan, and will be perfectly chewy when they cool.
What are the advantages of using whole wheat flour for cookies?
When it comes to baking delicious chocolate chip cookies, there’s no denying the advantages of using whole wheat flour. Not only does it add a unique nutty flavor to your cookies, it also packs a powerful nutritional punch. Here are some of the top benefits of using whole wheat flour when baking your chocolate chip cookies:
- High Nutritional Value: Whole wheat flour is richer in vitamins, minerals, and fiber than all-purpose flour, making it a healthier choice for your cookies. It also boasts a higher protein content, which means it’s more filling and will help you stay fuller for longer.
- Better Taste: Not only does whole wheat flour add a nutty flavor to your cookies, it also adds a unique texture that can’t be achieved with all-purpose flour. Plus, it adds a natural sweetness, so you don’t have to add as much sugar to your recipe.
- Heart Health: Whole wheat flour contains high levels of magnesium, folate, and fiber, all of which are essential for maintaining heart health. Studies have found that eating whole grain foods, such as whole wheat flour, can reduce the risk of heart disease.
By using whole wheat flour when baking your chocolate chip cookies, you can rest assured knowing that you’re doing something good for your body while also indulging in a delicious treat.
What are the different kinds of chocolate chips you can use for the cookies?
When it comes to making delicious chocolate chip cookies, the sky’s the limit with the different kinds of chocolate chips you can use! From semi-sweet to dark and even white chocolate chips, you’re sure to find the perfect pairing for your whole wheat chocolate chip cookies. Here are some of the most popular options:
Semi-Sweet: Semi-sweet chips are a classic choice for baking chocolate chip cookies. They have a creamy and sweet flavor that’s not too overpowering. Plus, they go great with other ingredients like nuts, dried fruits, and even marshmallows.
Dark Chocolate: For a more grown-up version of a classic chocolate chip cookie, dark chocolate chips are the way to go. They’re rich and intense, and they’re great for adding complexity to your cookie. Plus, they look and taste amazing when they’re melted.
White Chocolate: White chocolate chips are a great way to add a unique twist to your whole wheat chocolate chip cookies. They’re creamy and sweet, with a hint of vanilla. Plus, they’re a great way to make your cookies look especially fancy.
Butterscotch: Butterscotch chips are a great way to add a unique flavor to your cookies. They’re sweet and buttery, with a hint of caramel. They’re perfect for giving your cookies a more complex flavor.
Peanut Butter Chips: Peanut butter chips are a great way to add a nutty, salty flavor to your cookies. They’re a great way to make your cookies more interesting, and they’re also a great way to satisfy a sweet and salty craving.
No matter what kind of chocolate chips you use, you’re sure to make some delicious whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.
What recipe variations can you make with whole wheat chocolate chip cookies?
You can make so many variations of whole wheat chocolate chip cookies! Whether you’re looking to add a bit of crunch, boost the flavor, create something a bit more indulgent, or give your cookies a health-boost, there are plenty of recipes to try.
If you’re looking for something a bit crunchier, try adding some hazelnuts and oats. Or, if you want to give your cookies some extra flavor, you can add some dried cranberries and cinnamon. For an indulgent twist, why not add some white chocolate chips or peanut butter chips? Or, if you want to give your cookies a health-boost, try adding some chia seeds, flax seeds, and walnuts.
You can also get creative by combining different variations. For example, try adding dried cranberries and white chocolate chips for a sweet and fruity cookie. Or, add some peanut butter chips and oats for a crunchy and nutty cookie.
So, don’t be afraid to experiment and try different combinations—you might be surprised by what you come up with! With so many delicious variations to make, you’re sure to find the perfect combination of flavors to suit your taste.