I’m so excited to share my Whole Lemon Layer Cake recipe with all of you! This cake has been a favorite of my family for years, ever since I discovered it in an old cookbook. I’m sure you’ve never tasted anything quite like it! The zesty lemon flavor, combined with the light and fluffy texture, makes this cake a hit every time I make it. Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on this delicious treat!
Whole Lemon Layer Cake Recipe
55 to 85 . mins
- 3 large lemons
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- Welcome to my Whole Lemon Layer Cake recipe! A delicious and zesty cake that is sure to become a family favourite.
- Here’s what you’ll need: 3 large lemons, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest.
- Let’s get started! Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until it’s light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the buttermilk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Finally, stir in the lemon zest.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely before frosting.
- Enjoy your delicious Whole Lemon Layer Cake!
- Calories: 936, Fat: 43.3g, Saturated fat: 26.6g, Cholesterol: 170mg, Sodium: 451mg, Carbohydrates: 125.2g, Fiber: 3.3g, Sugar: 58g, Protein: 11.8g
What is so special about a whole lemon layer cake?
A whole lemon layer cake is something special! It’s a delicious and beautiful way to enjoy the tart and tangy flavor of lemons. Not only is it a tasty treat, but it’s also easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a stunning cake that’s sure to wow your guests.
The classic lemon layer cake is made with layers of lemon-infused cake, filled with a sweet and tart lemon curd, and topped with a creamy lemon buttercream. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors creates a perfect balance that is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
Plus, the bright yellow color of the cake makes it the perfect dessert for a summer party or a bright spring day. And the creamy frosting and lemon glaze add a beautiful finishing touch.
So what is so special about a whole lemon layer cake? It’s delicious, beautiful, and easy to make. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of lemons in a stunning and delicious dessert.
What tips and tricks can you share to make a perfect whole lemon layer cake every time?
Get the freshest, juiciest lemons you can find – this is the key to a delicious cake!
- Grate the zest from your lemons before you squeeze out the juice – this will give your cake a delicious citrusy flavor.
- Use a stand mixer to make sure your butter and sugar are well-mixed before adding the other ingredients.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until they are light and fluffy – this will give your cake a nice texture.
- Fold in the dry ingredients slowly and gently – this will ensure that your cake is light and fluffy.
- Add some fresh lemon juice to the batter for an extra punch of flavor.
- Grease and flour your cake pans before you pour in the batter – this will ensure that your cake won’t stick to the pan.
- Bake your cake at the right temperature and for the right amount of time – this will ensure that your cake is cooked through without being dry.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the lemon glaze – this will prevent the glaze from melting off the cake.
- Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the glaze over the cake – this will give your cake a nice glossy finish.
What are some of the key ingredients used to make a whole lemon layer cake?
When it comes to whole lemon layer cakes, there are some key ingredients that you’ll need to make the perfect cake! The most important ingredients are lemons, butter, eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract, and cream cheese.
The lemons you’ll use for the cake are what give it its signature flavor. Make sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best taste, and you may want to zest some of the lemon peel to add in as well.
The butter is used to give the cake a light, fluffy texture. It also helps to bind the ingredients together. For best results, use softened or melted butter.
Eggs are essential for the cake as they provide structure and stability. They also add a richness and creaminess to the cake.
Flour is used to give the cake its structure and help it rise. A combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour is best.
Sugar helps to sweeten the cake and add moisture. Granulated sugar is the most commonly used type of sugar.
Baking powder helps the cake rise and gives it a light texture.
Salt is added to balance out the sweetness and bring out the flavors of the other ingredients.
Vanilla extract is used to add flavor and depth to the cake.
Finally, cream cheese is often used to make the icing for the cake.
What are the steps involved in making a whole lemon layer cake?
Making a whole lemon layer cake is surprisingly easy and incredibly delicious! You only need a few simple ingredients and a little bit of patience, and you’ll be rewarded with a delicious treat. Here are the steps you’ll need to take to make a perfect whole lemon layer cake.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease two 8-inch cake pans with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients: 1 cup buttermilk, ½ cup vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and 3 eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Add the juice and zest of 1 lemon and mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from the pans.
- Make the lemon syrup. In a small saucepan, heat 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of lemon juice until the sugar has dissolved.
- 0. Once the cakes have cooled, use a paring knife to level the top of each cake.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate and brush with half of the lemon syrup.
- Spread the lemon curd on top of the cake layer.
- Place the other cake layer on top, and brush with the remaining lemon syrup.
- Frost the cake with your favorite buttercream frosting.
- Decorate the cake with fresh lemon slices and serve!
Your whole lemon layer cake is now ready to enjoy! This delicious and easy-to-make cake is sure to delight your family and friends.
What are some creative ways to serve a whole lemon layer cake?
There are so many delicious and creative ways to serve a whole lemon layer cake! Whether you’re looking for something traditional and classic, or something fresh and modern, here are a few ideas to get you started.
If you want to keep things traditional, you can’t go wrong with a simple dusting of powdered sugar or a light glaze. Alternatively, you can take things up a notch with a dollop of freshly-whipped cream and a sprinkle of lemon zest. This adds a bit of extra flavor and texture to the classic presentation.
If you’re looking for something a bit more modern, why not try a decadent chocolate ganache? Simply melt some high-quality chocolate and combine it with cream, then pour over the top of the cake. This adds a rich and indulgent flavor that’s sure to please.
Another great way to dress up a whole lemon layer cake is with a light and airy meringue. Simply whip together sugar and egg whites to create a light and fluffy topping that adds a delightful sweetness.
Finally, you can always get creative with fresh seasonal fruits and berries. Whether you use strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or something else, these add a colorful and flavorful accent to the cake.
No matter how you choose to serve it, a whole lemon layer cake is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. With these creative ideas, you can dress up your dessert and make it as unique as your taste buds desire.