I absolutely love making my own homemade Walnut Brittle! It’s been a family recipe passed down through generations, and I’m so excited to finally share it with you. This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy dessert or snack. You’ll get that crunchy-sweet goodness you love with every bite. Not to mention, it’s also a great way to use up any leftover walnuts you have sitting around! Let’s get cooking!
Walnut Brittle Recipe
- 2 cups of walnuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Start by prepping your ingredients by measuring out 2 cups of walnuts, 1 cup of white sugar, 1/2 cup of light corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Now, let’s get started! In a large pot, add the walnuts, sugar, and corn syrup. Heat on medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- When the sugar is completely dissolved, raise the heat to medium-high and continue stirring constantly.
- After 15-20 minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken. Take the pot off the heat and add the baking soda, vanilla extract and sea salt. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet and spread it out evenly. Let the brittle cool for 5 minutes before breaking it into pieces.
- Let your Walnut Brittle cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. Enjoy your delicious and crunchy homemade Walnut Brittle!
- Calories: 1545
- Total Fat: 97g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 1668mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 147g
- Dietary Fiber: 11g
- Sugars: 128g
- Protein: 25g
What makes walnut brittle such an irresistible treat?
You might not be able to put your finger on it, but there’s something special about walnut brittle that makes it so irresistible. It could be the crunchy yet sweet texture, the nutty flavor, or the way the candied walnuts are encased in a golden caramel. Whatever the reason, it’s a treat that’s sure to please!
To begin, the combination of crunchy, sweet, and nutty makes walnut brittle a delicious treat. When you bite into it, your taste buds are met with a delightful combination of flavors. The crunchiness of the brittle is juxtaposed with the sweet caramel, and the nutty flavor of the walnuts gives it a nice balance. The texture is also a big part of what makes walnut brittle so enjoyable. It’s crunchy yet still has a bit of chewiness to it.
Another thing that makes walnut brittle so irresistible is the way the walnuts are encased in a golden caramel. The caramel provides the perfect coating for the walnuts and adds a bit of extra sweetness. The final product is a beautiful golden treat that looks almost too good to eat.
Finally, the versatility of walnut brittle makes it a favorite amongst sweet tooths everywhere. You can enjoy it on its own or you can use it to top off a variety of sweet treats, from ice cream to brownies. You can even add it to your favorite hot drinks (such as hot cocoa or cider) for a special treat.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, walnut brittle is a delicious and irresistible treat. Its combination of crunchy, sweet, and nutty flavors make it hard to resist, and the way the walnuts are encased in a golden caramel adds an extra layer of deliciousness.
What tips and tricks can you use to ensure your walnut brittle turns out perfectly?
If you want to make the perfect walnut brittle, then you need to follow these tips and tricks!
- Make sure you have all the ingredients ready before you start – that means having the butter, sugar, walnuts, and baking soda measured out and within easy reach.
- Grease the pan generously with butter to prevent the brittle from sticking.
- Simmer the sugar, butter, and water over medium heat until the mixture reaches 300°F (150°C) on a candy thermometer.
- Add the baking soda and walnuts, stirring constantly to incorporate them evenly.
- Once the brittle has reached a golden-brown color, it’s time to pour it into the greased pan.
- Spread the brittle evenly in the pan with a spoon or spatula, and allow it to cool completely before breaking the brittle into pieces.
- Store the walnut brittle in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
What are the health benefits of walnut brittle?
Walnut Brittle is packed with protein, healthy fats, and fiber, making it a nutritious and delicious snack!
- Eating Walnut Brittle is a great way to get your daily dose of essential nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- As an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, it can help reduce inflammation and boost brain health.
- Walnut Brittle also contains monounsaturated fats, which can help lower bad cholesterol and improve heart health.
- It is also rich in antioxidants that can help protect your cells from damage and reduce your risk of chronic diseases.
- Eating Walnut Brittle can also help you feel fuller for longer, making it a great snack choice for weight loss.
- Enjoying a small piece of Walnut Brittle can also help boost your energy levels and mood.
How can you make your own walnut brittle at home?
Making your own walnut brittle at home is easier than you might think! With just a few ingredients and some patience, you can create a delicious treat that’s sure to impress your friends and family. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
First, you’ll need to gather your ingredients. For walnut brittle, you’ll need a cup of white granulated sugar, a quarter cup of light corn syrup, four tablespoons of salted butter, a teaspoon of baking soda, and a cup of walnuts.
Once you’ve got your ingredients together, you’ll need to start the cooking process. Begin by melting the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat. Once it’s completely melted, add in the sugar and corn syrup. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients are completely incorporated.
Next, increase the heat to medium-high and add the walnuts. Stir the mixture constantly for the next five minutes. Once the mixture has thickened and turned a light golden brown, turn off the heat and stir in the baking soda. As soon as the baking soda is incorporated, pour the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Allow the walnut brittle to cool for at least an hour before you break it into pieces. Enjoy your homemade walnut brittle and share with friends.
What are the key ingredients to making the perfect walnut brittle?
Making the perfect walnut brittle is all about getting the right ingredients and following the right steps. You’ll need to have walnuts, light corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, and salt. These are the key ingredients for a tasty and crunchy brittle.
To begin, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved. Then, add the walnuts, stirring constantly for two minutes.
Next, pour the mixture onto a greased baking sheet and spread it evenly. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until it turns golden brown. Once it’s done, sprinkle baking soda over the brittle, stirring it around until it’s evenly distributed.
Let the brittle cool before breaking it into pieces. The result should be a deliciously sweet and crunchy walnut brittle that you can enjoy with friends and family. With these key ingredients, you can make the perfect walnut brittle every time.
What are some creative ways to serve and enjoy walnut brittle?
Serving and enjoying walnut brittle doesn’t have to be boring! Here are some creative ways to bring out the rich and nutty flavor of this classic treat:
- Spice it up! Add a kick of flavor to your walnut brittle by mixing in some chili powder, cayenne pepper, or ground cinnamon.
- Make it crunchy. For a crunchier version of walnut brittle, bake it in the oven for a few minutes and then break it into pieces.
- Add a twist. Mix in some dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, or chopped dates for a unique twist on this classic treat.
- Take it to the next level. For an extra special treat, try dipping chunks of walnut brittle in melted chocolate.
- Enjoy it in a smoothie. Blend up some ripe banana, a few pitted dates, a handful of walnuts, and a chunk of walnut brittle for a delicious and nutritious smoothie.
No matter how you choose to serve and enjoy walnut brittle, you’re sure to love its rich and nutty flavor.
What other types of brittle can you make with the same ingredients and techniques used to make walnut brittle?
You can make all kinds of brittles with the same ingredients and techniques used to make walnut brittle! All you need is sugar, butter, some kind of nut (or a combination of nuts!), and a heavy-bottomed pot. You can make peanut brittle with peanuts, or combine multiple nuts like pecans and almonds. You can even use seeds like sesame or pumpkin. The possibilities are endless!
Making your own brittle is a fun and easy kitchen activity – plus, it’s a great way to customize your favorite treats. You can make your brittle as crunchy or chewy as you like, and add in any kind of flavorings you want. Add a pinch of cinnamon for a warm and cozy taste, or a few drops of peppermint extract for a cool, wintery flavor. You can even dip your finished brittle in melted chocolate for a delicious twist!
No matter what type of brittle you make, the process remains the same. All you have to do is combine the butter, sugar, and your nut of choice in the pot, and heat it up until it reaches the desired consistency.