Vegan Potato And Butternut Squash Curry Recipe
I’m so excited to share this delicious vegan potato and butternut squash curry recipe with you! I recently discovered this curry and I just can’t get enough of it. The combination of the creamy butternut squash and the nutty potatoes is simply divine. Plus, the spices give the curry a great kick of flavor. I’m sure you’ll love this vegan curry as much as I do!
Vegan Potato and Butternut Squash Curry Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Hey there! Let’s make this delicious Vegan Potato and Butternut Squash Curry. Gather up the following ingredients: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 small onion, chopped, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 large potato, peeled and diced, 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced, 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1/4 cup frozen peas, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, salt and black pepper to taste.
- First, heat up the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften. Add the garlic, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Then add the potato, butternut squash, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the vegetables are tender, add the frozen peas, cilantro, salt and pepper. Simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- And that’s it! Your Vegan Potato and Butternut Squash Curry is ready to enjoy! Bon appetit!
- Calories: 462
- Fat: 30.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 692 mg
- Carbohydrates: 42.9 g
- Fiber: 8.3 g
- Protein: 9.3 g
- Sugar: 8.3 g
What type of spices and herbs pair best with this vegan curry?
If you’re making a vegan potato and butternut squash curry, you’ll want to choose spices and herbs that complement the sweetness of the squash, the earthiness of the potatoes and the subtle heat of the curry. For a fragrant and flavorful dish, try combining cumin, coriander, cayenne, ginger, and turmeric. These warm spices give the dish a rich and zesty flavor. To brighten and freshen the dish, add a pinch of cardamom and some fresh chopped cilantro. Finally, a dash of lime juice adds a citrusy note and helps to balance out the flavors.
What type of vegan sides perfectly complement this curry?
If you’re looking for the perfect side dish to complement your vegan potato and butternut squash curry, you’re in luck! There are so many delicious vegan sides to choose from that are sure to make this curry even better.
For a delicious, hearty side dish, roasted vegetables are a great option. You can easily roast potatoes, carrots, onions, and any other vegetables you have lying around to pair with the curry. Plus, roasting vegetables is easy and quick, so it’s a great side dish choice when you’re short on time.
Rice is another classic side dish that goes perfectly with curry. Whether you want to use white or brown rice, jasmine or basmati, it’s sure to be a tasty addition. For an even heartier dish, try making vegan fried rice with vegetables and tofu.
If you’re looking for something a bit lighter, a simple vegan salad with greens, tomatoes, and cucumbers is the perfect option. You can add in some other vegetables, like peppers or onions, to make it even more flavorful.
Finally, for a delicious and healthy side dish, try making a vegan-friendly quinoa salad with fresh veggies, herbs, and a tangy dressing. Not only is this side dish packed with flavor, but it’s also full of healthy nutrients that are sure to make your curry even better.
No matter what type of side dish you choose, you’re sure to make your vegan potato and butternut squash curry even better.
What are the health benefits of vegan potato and butternut squash curry?
You may have heard about the health benefits of vegan food, but you might not have considered vegan potato and butternut squash curry as a nutrient-packed meal. This vegan curry is surprisingly nutritious, and comes with a variety of health benefits. Let’s take a look!
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: This vegan curry is packed with vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A and C, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron. These are all essential for a healthy and balanced diet.
- Low in calories: This vegan curry is lower in calories than other curries, making it a good option for those looking to lose weight.
- High in fiber: Potatoes and butternut squash are both good sources of dietary fiber, which helps maintain a healthy digestive system and can help lower cholesterol levels.
- High in antioxidants: Butternut squash is loaded with antioxidants, which can help reduce the risk of certain diseases and protect your cells from damage.
- Good for your heart: The combination of potatoes, butternut squash, and other spices in this vegan curry can help reduce inflammation, which can benefit your heart health.
So, there you have it — vegan potato and butternut squash curry is a delicious, healthy meal that comes with a variety of health benefits.
How to make vegan potato and butternut squash curry in a pressure cooker?
You can easily make vegan potato and butternut squash curry in a pressure cooker in no time! Here’s how:
- Start by preparing the vegetables. Peel and dice the potatoes and chop the butternut squash into cubes.
- Heat some oil in the pressure cooker and add the potatoes and butternut squash cubes. Stir well and then add some salt and spices, such as cumin, coriander and turmeric.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pressure cooker and mix with the vegetables.
- Add a can of coconut milk and some vegetable stock to the pressure cooker and mix everything together.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, release the pressure from the pressure cooker and open the lid.
- Stir the curry and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve the vegan potato and butternut squash curry with some cooked rice or some fresh naan bread.
How to make vegan potato and butternut squash curry in an instant pot?
Making vegan potato and butternut squash curry in an Instant Pot is easy, delicious and nutritious! Here’s how to make it:
- Gather the ingredients: You’ll need potatoes, butternut squash, a can of coconut milk, yellow or red curry paste, minced garlic, onion, vegetable broth, lime juice, diced tomatoes, and fresh herbs like cilantro.
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop the potatoes and butternut squash into cubes. Mince the garlic and onion.
- Add the ingredients to the Instant Pot: Add the potatoes, squash, garlic, onion, canned coconut milk, curry paste, vegetable broth, and lime juice to the Instant Pot.
- Cook: Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Finish: Open the lid and stir in the diced tomatoes and fresh herbs. Let the curry simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve: Serve the curry over white or brown rice.
How to customize vegan potato and butternut squash curry to suit your dietary needs?
Want to make this vegan potato and butternut squash curry dish your own? Here are some tips to customize it to your dietary needs:
- If you’re looking to add a bit of heat, try adding some diced jalapeños or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- For a more cheesy flavor, add some nutritional yeast flakes.
- If you want to make it creamier, add some coconut milk or vegan cream cheese.
- To make it extra hearty, try adding cooked quinoa or cooked lentils.
- For a protein-rich version, add some cooked chickpeas or tofu.
- Add a bit of sweetness with a tablespoon of maple syrup or a pinch of cinnamon.
- If you’re looking for an extra boost of flavor, try adding some freshly minced ginger or garlic.
- For a bit of crunch, try topping with some roasted cashews or slivered almonds.
- To make it even more nutritious, add some fresh or frozen vegetables such as spinach, peas, or bell peppers.
- If you’re looking for a low-carb option, replace the potatoes with diced cauliflower or broccoli.
With these tips, you can customize this vegan potato and butternut squash curry to your dietary needs and make it the perfect dish for you.