When I first decided to try my hand at vegan baking, I was a little intimidated. But when I stumbled across this recipe for Vegan Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins, I knew I had to give it a go. As soon as I took my first bite, I was hooked! The sweet and zesty lemon flavor combined with the crunchy poppy seeds made for a delicious, moist muffin that was surprisingly easy to make. I was so impressed that I’ve been making this recipe ever since, and I’m sure you’ll love it too.
Vegan Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins Recipe
20 – 25 mins
50 – 55 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until everything is well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted vegan butter and organic cane sugar until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until everything is fully combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is just combined. Careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter into the lined muffin pan, filling each cup about ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your delicious vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins!
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 220
- Total fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 29g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugars: 14g
- Protein: 3g
What makes these vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins so delicious?
There’s something special about vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins that make them irresistibly delicious! The bright burst of citrus flavor, combined with the crunchy texture of poppy seeds, makes these muffins truly mouth-watering. The vegan-friendly ingredients also mean that these muffins are free from animal products and are perfect for those with dietary restrictions.
The vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins start with a moist, fluffy batter made with vegan-friendly ingredients such as soy milk and vegetable oil. For additional flavor, the batter is then mixed with poppy seeds, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, and lemon zest. The combination of these ingredients creates a unique and flavorful blend of sweet and tart.
These muffins are then baked in the oven until they are lightly golden brown and their tops are slightly crisp. The result is a perfectly fluffy muffin that is bursting with sweet and tart citrus flavor. The poppy seeds add a nice crunch to the muffin, making it even more irresistible.
Vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins are the perfect treat for any occasion. They are quick and easy to make, and their delicious flavor is sure to please.
Are vegan muffins healthier than non-vegan muffins?
Absolutely! Vegan muffins are much healthier than non-vegan muffins! Vegan muffins are typically made with whole grain flour and use healthier alternatives for fats and sugars. For example, vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins can be made with unrefined coconut oil and honey instead of butter and refined sugar. This combination of healthier ingredients makes vegan muffins a much better choice.
Vegan muffins are also a great choice for those looking to reduce their intake of animal products. Replacing dairy and eggs with plant-based substitutes like almond or oat milk and ground flax meal is an easy way to make a tasty vegan muffin.
In addition to being healthier than non-vegan muffins, vegan muffins are often lower in calories. Since vegan muffins tend to use less fat and sugar than non-vegan muffins, they can be a great choice for those looking to watch their weight.
All in all, vegan muffins are a great option for those looking for a healthier alternative to non-vegan muffins. They are lower in calories, use healthier ingredients, and are a great way to reduce your intake of animal products.
How do you incorporate lemon and poppy seed flavors into vegan muffins?
Making vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins is a great way to incorporate both lemon and poppy seed flavors into one delicious treat! Here are some simple tips on how to make vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins that are full of flavor:
- Start with a vegan muffin mix – you can find vegan muffin mixes at most grocery stores. Be sure to read the ingredients list to make sure the mix is vegan.
- Add lemon juice and zest to the mix for an extra burst of lemon flavor. The zest will also give the muffins a unique texture.
- Mix in poppy seeds for an added crunch and nutty flavor.
- Bake the muffins according to the package instructions.
- Serve warm with vegan butter or a vegan cream cheese spread.
By following these simple steps, you can create vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins that are full of flavor and texture.
What tips can you provide for making the perfect vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins?
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together ¾ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup vegetable oil, ¼ cup almond milk, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Grease a muffin tin with vegan butter or coconut oil and fill with the muffin mixture.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, if desired.
What vegan ingredients can be used to make these muffins?
When it comes to baking vegan muffins, the possibilities are endless! Whether you’re looking for a healthier option or just want to try something new, vegan ingredients can be used to make delicious vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins with ease. Here are some of the ingredients you can use:
- Unrefined Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is a great vegan alternative to butter and one of the best options when baking vegan muffins. It adds moisture and a subtle sweetness to the muffins, while also helping to keep them fluffy and light.
- Coconut or Soy Milk: Non-dairy milks are perfect for vegan baking as they provide the necessary moisture for a light and fluffy texture. Coconut and soy milk are both good choices for vegan muffins.
- Unrefined Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is a great vegan alternative to regular white and brown sugars. It’s an unrefined sweetener that adds a delicious caramel-like flavor to the muffins.
- Flaxseed or Chia Seeds: Ground flaxseed or chia seeds can be used as an egg replacer in vegan baking. Simply mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for a few minutes before using.
- Lemon Juice and Zest: Lemon juice and zest add a delicious zing to the muffins, making them irresistible!
These are just a few of the vegan ingredients you can use to make vegan lemon-poppy seed muffins.