As someone who loves to bake, I have to say that Three-Berry Crumble Slab Pie is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s a great showstopper for special occasions, but it’s also easy enough to throw together on a weeknight. I love the combination of juicy berries, sweet crumble topping, and flaky pastry crust – it’s a perfect treat for any time of year!
Three-Berry Crumble Slab Pie Recipe
- 2 (15-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 cups mixed fresh raspberries, blackberries and blueberries
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons demerara or turbinado sugar
- Let’s make a delicious Three-Berry Crumble Slab Pie!
- First, we’ll need to preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Next, unroll the two packages of refrigerated piecrusts and lay them out on a lightly floured surface. Place one of the sheets in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan and press it up the sides.
- Now, it’s time to make the filling! In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in the cold butter until it’s in small pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mixed fresh raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries together. Add the apricot preserves and almond extract and stir. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the fruit mixture and toss to coat.
- Spoon the fruit mixture onto the piecrust in the baking pan and spread it evenly. Top with the remaining piecrust and brush with water. Sprinkle the demerara or turbinado sugar on top and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the Three-Berry Crumble Slab Pie cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 400
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 66g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 33g
- Protein: 4g
What makes a three-berry crumble slab pie so delicious?
You have to taste it to believe it – a three-berry crumble slab pie is absolutely delicious! This delectable dessert is made with a buttery, flaky crust topped with a generous layer of juicy, sweetened berries and finished off with a yummy crumb topping. Every bite is packed with the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors.
The key to making a delicious three-berry crumble slab pie lies in the quality and freshness of the ingredients. Start off with a buttery pastry dough to form the base of the crust. Then, choose sweet, ripe berries such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. The sweetness of the berries should be balanced with a bit of sugar and a pinch of lemon juice. Finally, the crumb topping is a mixture of butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
Another important factor that contributes to the deliciousness of this pie is the baking time. A three-berry crumble slab pie needs to bake until the crust is golden-brown and the crumb topping is lightly browned. This will ensure a crispy, flaky crust and a perfectly cooked crumble topping.
To get the ultimate delicious three-berry crumble slab pie, be sure to use the freshest ingredients and bake it for the right amount of time.
What are some tips and tricks for making a three-berry crumble slab pie?
Preheat your oven to 350°F — you’ll want to get it nice and hot for the best results.
- For the filling, you’ll need a good mix of berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Combine the berries in a bowl with a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar and mix well.
- Now, make the pie crust. Combine 1/2 cup of cold butter with 2 cups of all-purpose flour and a pinch of salt. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to work the butter into the flour until it’s crumbly.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter, then lay the pie crust dough in the dish, pressing it down evenly.
- Pour the berry mixture into the crust and spread it out.
- For the topping, mix 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of butter. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to work the butter into the other ingredients until it’s crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the berry mixture and press it down gently.
- Bake the pie for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
How can you turn a classic crumble pie recipe into a slab pie?
You can turn a classic crumble pie recipe into a slab pie by using a larger pan and increasing the quantity of the ingredients. Slab pies are large enough to feed a crowd, so doubling up on the recipe is the way to go! To create a three-berry crumble slab pie, start with a 9×13-inch baking dish and scale up the ingredients.
Making a slab pie starts with a large, rectangular baking dish and an easy pastry crust that covers the entire bottom of the dish. To make the pastry crust, use your favorite pie crust recipe and double up the ingredients. Roll out the dough and press it into the dish, making sure to press it up the sides.
Next, prepare the berry filling. For this recipe, you’ll need three cups of fresh or frozen raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Mix the berries together with a half cup of sugar and two tablespoons of cornstarch. The cornstarch helps to thicken the filling. Pour the berry mixture into the pastry crust.
For the crumble topping, you’ll need two cups of all-purpose flour, two cups of rolled oats, a cup of brown sugar, and a cup of melted butter. Mix the dry ingredients together and then stir in the melted butter. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the berry filling and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Let the pie cool before serving.
With a few simple steps, you can turn a classic crumble pie recipe into a delicious three-berry crumble slab pie. This dessert is perfect for special occasions, holidays, or just a special treat.
What types of berries should you use for a three-berry crumble slab pie?
When it comes to making a delicious three-berry crumble slab pie, you can’t go wrong with a mix of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. These three berries provide a balanced flavor profile and a unique texture that will take your slab pie to the next level.
Blueberries bring a sweet and tart flavor to the mix and make the pie filling beautifully colorful. And the juicy burst of flavor they provide is unmatched. Blackberries have a strong flavor, and make the pie filling especially flavorful. The tartness of the blackberry pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the blueberries. Raspberries add a delicate sweetness and give the pie filling a unique texture.
Using these three berries in your three-berry crumble slab pie will create a delicious combination that will have your guests coming back for more.
How can you maximize the flavor of a three-berry crumble slab pie?
You can maximize the flavor of your three-berry crumble slab pie by making sure to choose the right berries and taking the time to prepare them properly. Fresh, ripe, seasonal berries are always best, as they will have the most flavor. If you’re using frozen berries, make sure to thaw them and drain off any excess liquid before using them in your pie.
One way to bring out the flavor of the berries without overpowering them is to add a bit of citrus. A squeeze of lemon or orange juice, or a teaspoon of zest, can really add a bright, tart flavor that will make the fruit really pop. Another way to add flavor is to sprinkle some spices like cinnamon or nutmeg into the crumble topping.
You should also take care to prepare the crumble topping with plenty of butter and sugar. The butter will add richness, while the sugar will caramelize and add a delicious crunch. Finally, don’t forget to bake the pie until it’s golden brown. This will ensure that the flavors have time to meld together and the topping gets nice and crispy.
By taking the time to choose the right ingredients, prepare them properly, and bake the pie until it’s golden brown, you can maximize the flavor of your three-berry crumble slab pie.
What are the key steps to making the perfect three-berry crumble slab pie?
Making the perfect three-berry crumble slab pie is easier than it looks. All you need are a few simple steps and you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a yummy treat. Here are the key steps to making the ultimate three-berry crumble slab pie:
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, make the pie dough by combining the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add in the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Next, add in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour.
- When the dough is ready, roll it out on a lightly floured surface so it’s about a half-inch thick. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then fit the dough into it. Place the crust in the freezer for ten minutes.
- Now it’s time to make the filling. In a large bowl, toss together the blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Add in the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt and stir until combined. Once the filling is ready, spread it evenly over the crust.
- To make the crumble topping, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in the butter until you have a crumbly texture. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the fruit and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Let the three-berry crumble slab pie cool for about an hour before serving.
What ingredients do you need to make a three-berry crumble slab pie?
Making a delicious three-berry crumble slab pie doesn’t have to be daunting! To get started, all you need are a few simple ingredients:
- Your favorite pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- cups of fresh or frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries work best)
- /4 cup of granulated sugar
- tablespoons of cornstarch
- teaspoon of lemon zest
- /4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- /4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- /3 cup of rolled oats
- /3 cup of all-purpose flour
- /3 cup of light brown sugar
- /3 cup of cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
Once you have all your ingredients ready, you can start to assemble your three-berry crumble slab pie.