I have been making this delicious Sticky Chinese Spareribs recipe for years and it always gets rave reviews from my friends and family. The ribs are marinated in a sweet and spicy soy sauce and then cooked until the sauce is thick and sticky. The result is a dish that is bursting with flavor and will have everyone coming back for seconds. I promise you, these ribs will quickly become a favorite!
Sticky Chinese Spareribs Recipe
- 3 lbs pork spareribs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Place the pork spareribs in a large baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, ketchup, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the spareribs, making sure to coat them evenly.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°F and uncover the spareribs.
- Continue baking for an additional 60 minutes, or until the ribs are nicely glazed and sticky.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and enjoy!
- Calories: 387 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 28.5 g
- Fat: 19.3 g
- Protein: 24.9 g
- Sodium: 1090 mg
- Sugar: 21.2 g
- Cholesterol: 74.5 mg
- Fiber: 0.9 g
What are the key ingredients for sticky chinese spareribs?
The key ingredients for making sticky Chinese spareribs are garlic, hoisin sauce, ketchup, honey, and five-spice powder.
Garlic is essential for giving the spareribs a savory, umami flavor. This can be added either in a paste or as freshly chopped or minced garlic.
Hoisin sauce is another key ingredient for creating the signature sweet and savory flavor of Chinese spareribs. It is made from fermented soybeans, sweet potatoes, chili peppers, and vinegar.
Ketchup is necessary for the spareribs to achieve the desired sticky, glossy coating. It also helps to bind the flavors together.
Honey is used to add a hint of sweetness and helps to give the ribs a glossy finish.
Finally, five-spice powder is essential for bringing out the classic Chinese flavors. This blend of spices typically contains anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and Szechuan peppercorn.
These five ingredients work together to give Chinese spareribs an irresistible sticky, sweet and savory flavor.
How do you prepare the spareribs for cooking?
Cut spareribs into 2-3 inch sections.
- Once cut, season the ribs with a mixture of Chinese five spice, garlic powder, and salt.
- Marinate the ribs overnight in a mixture of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Fry the spareribs in the skillet for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the spareribs are lightly browned, add the marinade and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 30-40 minutes until the spareribs are cooked through.
- Finish by turning up the heat and reducing the sauce until it reaches a sticky glaze.
How do you make the sauce for the ribs?
Making the Sauce for Sticky Chinese Spareribs:
- In a medium saucepan, combine ¼ cup each of soy sauce, honey, and ketchup, and 2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce.
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until all the ingredients have combined.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger. Stir until they are blended into the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if the sauce is too thick.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- The sauce should be thick, sweet, and savory.
- Use the sauce to coat the spareribs and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Are there any tips to ensure the ribs turn out perfectly?
Yes, there are a few tips to ensure that your sticky Chinese spareribs turn out perfectly:
- Marinade the ribs for a minimum of 12 hours – marinating your ribs for up to 24 hours will result in the fullest flavor for your ribs.
- Start to cook the ribs indirectly on a medium heat – this ensures that the meat cooks slowly and the ribs become ultra tender.
- Use a combination of honey and soy sauce – this provides a rich, sticky glaze with a delicious sweetness.
- Baste the ribs every 15 minutes – this keeps the ribs succulent and prevents them from drying out.
- Finish the ribs off by grilling them over a direct heat – this gives the ribs that smoky, caramelized flavor.
What techniques should be used to ensure the ribs are cooked through?
When cooking Chinese spareribs, there are several techniques that should be used to ensure they are cooked through. First, it is important to pre-cook the ribs before adding the sauce. This can be done by boiling them for 10-15 minutes before brushing with a marinade or sauce. Additionally, the ribs should be placed in a baking dish with a small amount of liquid such as water, broth, or apple cider vinegar. This will help the ribs cook evenly and tenderize the meat. Finally, the ribs should be covered with aluminum foil and baked in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes to an hour. This will ensure they are cooked through and have that sticky, glazed finish.
What flavors should be used to enhance the ribs?
When it comes to sticky Chinese spareribs, there are a few flavors that can be used to enhance the dish. The key is to find the right combination of sweet, salty, and umami flavors that will bring out the sticky, succulent texture of the ribs.
Some recommended flavors to use include honey, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and five-spice powder. Honey will add a touch of sweetness, while hoisin sauce and soy sauce bring out the savory and umami flavors of the dish. Garlic, ginger, and sesame oil will give the ribs a flavorful and aromatic kick. Finally, the five-spice powder will give the ribs an unmistakable Chinese flavor.
For a unique twist, you can also experiment with other flavors such as Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, chili sauce, and brown sugar. The possibilities are endless, so you can find the combination that works best for you and your taste buds.
Whatever flavors you decide to use, the result should be a plate of delicious and irresistible sticky Chinese spareribs that will have your family and friends asking for more. With the right combination of flavors, you can make sure that your ribs are the star of the show.
What accompaniments go well with sticky chinese spareribs?
When it comes to the perfect accompaniment for sticky Chinese spareribs, there are a few options to choose from. While the ribs are full of flavor on their own, a few side dishes can really elevate the meal.
To keep the meal traditional, steamed white or brown rice is a great addition. The simple, starchy complement also helps to round out the meal and make it more filling. Other Chinese staples like noodles, bok choy, and stir-fried vegetables are also great accompaniments.
For a more western-style meal, mashed potatoes are a great pairing with the ribs. The creamy, buttery potatoes contrast perfectly against the salty, spicy ribs. A side salad is also a great way to add a bit of lightness to the meal.
No matter what side dishes you decide to serve with the ribs, it’s important to make sure that you have some kind of sauce to go with them. Sweet and sour sauce, hoisin sauce, or a spicy chili sauce all pair nicely with the ribs and will help to bring out the flavor.