Delicious Sourdough English Muffins – The Best Homemade Breakfast Treat
I have been baking sourdough English muffins for years now and I can confidently say that they are the best breakfast treat around! I love the light and fluffy texture, not to mention the tangy flavor that comes from the sourdough starter. Plus, they are super easy to make – you don’t even need to knead the dough! So, if you’re looking for a delicious, homemade breakfast, give these Sourdough English Muffins a try!
Sourdough English Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Let’s make some delicious Sourdough English Muffins! First, gather your ingredients—you’ll need 2 cups of sourdough starter, 1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of sugar, ¾ teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 2 tablespoons of milk, 2 tablespoons of nonfat dry milk powder, and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sourdough starter, all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, milk, nonfat dry milk powder, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until everything is well combined.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Grease the griddle with butter or cooking spray, and spoon the batter onto the griddle.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side until the muffins are golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the muffins to a plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- Enjoy your delicious Sourdough English Muffins!
- Calories: 495
- Total Fat: 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
- Sodium: 922 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 74 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
What are sourdough english muffins and why are they special?
Sourdough English muffins are a delicious and unique twist on the classic English muffin. They feature a tangy, mildly sour flavor and a chewy texture, thanks to the tangy sourdough starter used in the recipe. If you’re looking for something new and interesting for breakfast, sourdough English muffins are definitely worth a try!
Sourdough English muffins have been around for centuries and have a much longer history than regular English muffins. Sourdough is made from a fermented mixture of flour, water, and wild yeast – a starter that can last for months or even years if it’s kept in a cool, dry place. This starter adds a tangy, slightly sour flavor to the English muffins and helps create a chewy texture that’s different from the traditional English muffin.
The flavor of sourdough English muffins can be enhanced by adding other ingredients such as dried fruits, nuts, or herbs. This makes them a great way to add a bit of variety to your breakfast routine. You can also top them with your favorite spreads or toppings to make a delicious and nutritious breakfast.
Sourdough English muffins are an excellent way to enjoy a unique breakfast. They’re easy to make and are sure to be a hit with your family. Plus, the tangy flavor of the sourdough starter makes them an interesting and flavorful addition to your morning routine.
What ingredients do you need to make sourdough english muffins?
If you want to make your own delicious sourdough English muffins, you’ll need some basic ingredients! Preparing these muffins at home is a great way to enjoy a tasty breakfast treat. All you need is some flour, sourdough starter, salt, sugar, and warm water.
To begin, mix together the flour, sourdough starter, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Make sure that all of the ingredients are evenly distributed. Then, add the warm water and mix together until the dough is combined. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
Once the dough is kneaded, place it in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise for about two hours in a warm place. Once the dough has risen, roll it out with a rolling pin until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into circles and place them on a baking sheet. Let them rise for another hour, then bake them in the oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
That’s all there is to it! With these few simple ingredients, you can make your own delicious sourdough English muffins.
How do you make sourdough english muffins?
Making delicious sourdough english muffins is a fun and easy baking project that yields amazing results! Here’s how you can make your own tasty treats:
- Make your sourdough starter by mixing together equal parts flour and water and let it sit at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- Once your starter is ready, mix together the ingredients for your dough: flour, salt, sugar, and starter. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place the balls onto a greased baking tray, cover with a damp cloth, and leave to rise for 2-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C.
- Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a 4-5 inch (10-12 cm) round disc.
- Grease a griddle or heavy skillet and heat it to medium-high heat.
- Place the discs onto the griddle, cover with a lid, and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place the cooked muffins on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool before serving.
What are the benefits of using sourdough when making english muffins?
Making English muffins with sourdough brings some fantastic benefits! Here’s why you should give it a try:
- Flavor: Sourdough English muffins have a unique, tangy flavor that you won’t find in store-bought muffins. The sourdough starter adds a delicious flavor to the muffin, making them more interesting to eat.
- Texture: Sourdough English muffins have a unique texture that’s unlike any other muffin. The sourdough starter helps create a denser, chewy texture that makes them more satisfying to bite into.
- Health Benefits: Sourdough English muffins are made with simple, natural ingredients like flour, water, and salt and are free of preservatives and artificial flavorings. This makes them a healthier choice than store-bought muffins.
- Cost-Effective: Making your own sourdough English muffins is much more cost-effective than buying them from the store. You can make a large batch and freeze them for later, which can save you money in the long run.
- Fun to Make: Making sourdough English muffins is a fun activity that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It’s a great way to spend time together in the kitchen and to create something delicious.
Making English muffins with sourdough is a great way to enjoy a delicious, healthy snack.
What are some tips for making the perfect sourdough english muffins?
You can make the perfect sourdough English muffins with a few simple tips. Here’s what you need to know:
- Get the right starter: You’ll need a good quality sourdough starter to make delicious English muffins. Make sure it’s active, lively, and well-fed.
- Knead your dough: Kneading your dough is essential for making the perfect English muffins. Mix it until it’s springy and elastic, and then let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Adjust the consistency: If your dough is too dry, add a little more water; if it’s too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Roll out the dough: Roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch thick. This will help ensure your English muffins are light and fluffy.
- Cut out your muffins: Use a biscuit cutter to cut out your muffins. Make sure the edges of each one are sealed.
- Start with a hot pan: Start with a pan that’s hot and well-oiled. This will help your English muffins brown evenly and give them a nice crispy crust.
- Flip and finish: Flip your English muffins halfway through cooking, and finish in the oven if needed.
What are some delicious recipes to try with sourdough english muffins?
Ready to try something new? Sourdough English muffins are so delicious and versatile, you’ll want to incorporate them into your weekly meal plan. Here are some delicious recipes to try with your sourdough English muffins:
- Sourdough Grilled Cheese: Make a classic grilled cheese with a twist! Spread butter on two slices of sourdough English muffin and fill with your favorite cheese. Place one muffin slice, butter side down, onto a hot skillet and top with cheese. Place the other muffin slice, butter side up, and cook until golden brown. Enjoy with a cup of tomato soup for a cozy meal.
- Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich: Beat two eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and scramble. Place scrambled eggs onto a sourdough English muffin and top with a slice of cheese and some cooked bacon or sausage. Place the other muffin slice on top and enjoy!
- Sourdough Pizza Muffin: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spread pizza sauce onto a split sourdough English muffin. Top with your favorite pizza toppings and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Sourdough French Toast: Dip a halved sourdough English muffin in beaten eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook in a hot skillet until golden brown. Top with your favorite syrup and enjoy!
These recipes are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to recipes you can make with sourdough English muffins.