When I’m in the mood for a filling and flavorful Mexican-inspired dinner, I turn to my family’s tried-and-true recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. This creamy and slightly spicy dish is always a hit, and it’s surprisingly simple to make. With its combination of juicy chicken, tangy sour cream, and a variety of spices, it’s a meal that’s sure to please any palate.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Depends on what needs to be done. If you need more time to prepare the ingredients, you can add up to 15 extra . mins
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and season with prepared spice blend. Cook for about 5 minutes, flipping as needed, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet and shred. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine enchilada sauce, green chilies, and sour cream.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Working one at a time, spread 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture down the center of a flour tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup of the shredded chicken and 2 tablespoons of the cheese blend. Roll up the tortilla and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining sauce mixture over the rolled enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake enchiladas in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Calories: 602,
- Total Fat: 24g,
- Saturated Fat: 9g,
- Cholesterol: 107mg,
- Sodium: 926mg,
- Carbohydrates: 59g,
- Fiber: 5g,
- Sugar: 5g,
- Protein: 38g
What makes sour cream chicken enchiladas so special?
Sour cream chicken enchiladas are special thanks to their delicious combination of creamy, cheesy, spicy, and savory flavors. This classic Mexican dish features a rich and creamy sauce made from sour cream, chiles, and cheese that envelops soft, flavorful chicken and a warm tortilla. The result is a comforting, flavorful dish that is sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
But what makes sour cream chicken enchiladas truly stand out is the combination of flavors and textures. The creamy sauce perfectly complements the juicy chicken, while the cheesy and spicy elements of the sauce bring an extra layer of flavor. The tortilla provides the perfect texture contrast to the creamy sauce, adding an extra element to the dish.
In addition to the combination of flavors and textures, what makes sour cream chicken enchiladas so special is the fact that they are easy to make. All you need is a few simple ingredients, and you can have a delicious meal on the table in no time. Plus, if you want to switch up the flavors of the sauce, you can easily add your own favorite spices and herbs to customize the dish.
Sour cream chicken enchiladas truly stand out from other Mexican dishes thanks to their delicious combination of flavors, textures, and ease of preparation. When you make this classic dish, you can be sure that everyone will be asking for seconds.
How can you customize sour cream chicken enchiladas to your taste?
The beauty of sour cream chicken enchiladas is that they are incredibly versatile and can easily be customized to your own taste. Whether you’re looking for a mild or spicy enchilada, a hearty dinner or a light lunch, there are many different ways you can customize sour cream chicken enchiladas.
One way to customize your sour cream chicken enchiladas is to choose the type of sauce you’d like to use. You can opt for a traditional red enchilada sauce for a classic flavor, or choose a mild green sauce or tomatillo sauce for a milder and slightly more acidic flavor. If you’re looking to add some heat, you can opt for a spicy red enchilada sauce or even a chipotle sauce.
Another way to customize your sour cream chicken enchiladas is to choose the type of cheese you’d like to use. While a classic blend of cheddar and Monterey Jack is always a great option, you can also get creative with your cheese selection. Try using a Mexican blend of cheeses with a combination of queso fresco, asadero, and cotija. Or, if you’re looking for a more indulgent option, use a blend of cheddar, cream cheese, and mozzarella for a creamy, cheesy enchilada.
Finally, you can customize your sour cream chicken enchiladas with different toppings. For a traditional topping, you can top your enchiladas with a blend of diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapenos. If you’re looking for a more indulgent topping, try topping your enchiladas with a mixture of melted cheese, sour cream, and diced avocadoes.
In conclusion, the beauty of sour cream chicken enchiladas is that you can easily customize them to your own taste. With different sauces, cheeses, and toppings available, you can create an enchilada that is truly unique and delicious.
What tips can you use to make the perfect sour cream chicken enchiladas?
Use a high-quality canned enchilada sauce for an easy, flavorful base.
- Grate your own cheese for fresher, better-tasting enchiladas.
- Add black beans and corn to the filling for extra nutrition and flavor.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs for maximum flavor.
- Make sure to season the chicken and the filling with a blend of spices.
- Use a high-fat sour cream for a creamier, richer enchilada.
- Use a combination of cheeses for added depth of flavor.
- Roll the enchiladas tightly so they don’t fall apart when served.
- Pre-cook the tortillas before filling them to prevent them from becoming soggy.
- Bake the enchiladas in an oven-safe pan to get the perfect golden-brown finish.
What are the key ingredients of sour cream chicken enchiladas?
The key ingredients of sour cream chicken enchiladas are chicken, onions, garlic, green chiles, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, sour cream, cheese, and tortillas. To make this delicious dish, begin by sautéing chicken, onions, garlic, and green chiles in a pan. Add in diced tomatoes and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. In a separate bowl, mix together the enchilada sauce and sour cream until combined. Assemble the enchiladas by layering a tortilla with chicken, the sour cream mixture, and cheese. Roll up the tortillas and place them in a baking dish. Cover with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese and bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
What sides pair best with sour cream chicken enchiladas?
When it comes to side dishes, there are many options to consider when serving sour cream chicken enchiladas. Popular sides to serve with these enchiladas include Spanish rice, refried beans, and a side salad. But you can also get creative and serve something a little different, like a roasted vegetable medley or a corn and black bean salsa.
Spanish Rice: This classic side dish is a great accompaniment to sour cream chicken enchiladas. It adds a flavorful, hearty base that pairs perfectly with the creamy sauce and savory filling of the enchiladas.
Refried Beans: Another great option to serve alongside sour cream chicken enchiladas is refried beans. The beans provide a hearty, protein-packed side dish that complements the enchiladas perfectly, and it’s easy to make.
Side Salad: A light, fresh side salad is the perfect accompaniment to these enchiladas. Choose a mix of greens, such as romaine, spinach, and arugula, and add in some tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers for a crunchy, flavorful salad. Add a light vinaigrette and you’re good to go!
Roasted Vegetable Medley: A colorful, flavorful medley of roasted vegetables is a great side dish to serve with sour cream chicken enchiladas. Choose a variety of vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and onions, and roast them in the oven until they’re tender and golden brown.
Corn and Black Bean Salsa: For a fun, flavorful side dish, try serving a corn and black bean salsa with your enchiladas. The sweet corn and black beans provide a delicious contrast to the creamy sauce and savory filling of the enchiladas. Add a little cilantro and lime juice for a zesty finish.