I am so excited to share with you my favorite recipe – Shakshouka! It’s a perfect comfort meal that is flavorful and easy to make. I have been making this dish for years and each time it’s just as delicious as the last. The combination of tomatoes, spices, and eggs create a truly unique and flavorful dish that is sure to please. I’m sure that you’ll love this dish as much as I do!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Let’s make a delicious shakshouka!
- tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- large yellow onion, diced
- cloves garlic, minced
- red bell peppers, diced
- teaspoons smoked paprika
- teaspoon ground cumin
- /4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- /2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- large eggs
- /4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- First, heat up a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the diced onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is softened and translucent.
- Next, add the bell peppers and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Then, add the smoked paprika, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper, stirring until everything is well combined.
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir until everything is fully incorporated. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Now, it’s time to add the feta cheese. Sprinkle the feta over the tomato mixture and gently stir until everything is combined.
- Next, make 6 little wells in the tomato mixture and crack one egg into each well. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and let cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.
- Once the eggs are cooked, sprinkle the fresh parsley over the top and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Your shakshouka is now ready! Serve and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 148
- Total fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 166 mg
- Sodium: 307 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Dietary fiber: 3 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Protein: 8 g
Have you ever tasted a traditional north african dish called shakshouka?
Yes, you have to try shakshouka! This traditional North African dish is a delicious mix of eggs, tomatoes, peppers, and spices. It’s typically served with crusty bread and is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Shakshouka is typically made with peppers or chiles, onions, garlic, and tomatoes—all cooked in a skillet or pan. You can also add spices such as paprika, cumin, and coriander, to give the dish a unique flavor.
The eggs are then added and cooked until they are set. The final dish is a flavorful mix of eggs and vegetables, perfect for any meal. Shakshouka is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. Add more vegetables or spices to make it your own.
Shakshouka is a great way to start the day. It is filling, nutritious, and full of flavor. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftovers.
What are some tips on how to make the perfect shakshouka?
Start with a good, flavorful base: Begin by cooking some onions, garlic and peppers in olive oil. To make it even more flavorful, add some spices like paprika and cumin.
- Create your tomato sauce: Add a can of crushed tomatoes to the mixture and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you want to add some extra flavor, try adding some olives or capers.
- Add the eggs: Once the tomato sauce is ready, create some small wells in the sauce and crack the eggs in the wells. Put a lid on the pan and let it cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Garnish and serve: Sprinkle some fresh parsley or cilantro on top and serve the shakshouka with some warm bread and feta cheese.
What makes shakshouka so special and delicious?
Shakshouka is truly special and delicious! This North African and Middle Eastern dish combines poached eggs in a flavorful tomato-based sauce. It’s the perfect combination of comforting and zesty flavors that will delight your taste buds. The great thing about shakshouka is that it can be eaten any time of day, from breakfast to dinner.
Shakshouka is made with a mix of peppers, onions, and garlic, sautéed together in olive oil. The vegetables are then combined with tomatoes, various spices, and sometimes meat. Once the mixture is cooked, poached eggs are added and cooked until they are just set. The result is a vibrant, hearty dish that is great for sharing.
The best part about shakshouka is its versatility. You can customize it to your taste by adding your favorite vegetables, or you can make it vegan by omitting the eggs. You can also make it spicier or milder with different types of chiles and spices. No matter how you make it, the combination of flavors will always be delicious.
Shakshouka is a great dish for any occasion, whether you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal or a brunch recipe worthy of a special occasion. With its mix of bold flavors and comforting textures, it’s sure to please everyone at the table. So don’t be afraid to try something new.
What type of ingredients and spices are typically used in shakshouka?
Shakshouka is a flavorful and traditional dish from Northern Africa that typically consists of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions. The spices and ingredients used in shakshouka can vary depending on the region or personal preference, but cumin, paprika, and garlic are often used to give the dish a distinctive flavor. Other spices like turmeric, cardamom, and coriander may also be added, as well as fresh herbs like parsley and cilantro. A pinch of sugar may be added to balance the acidity of the tomatoes, and some recipes may even include olives, feta, or other vegetables.
What are some interesting variations of shakshouka you can try?
You can have a lot of fun experimenting with shakshouka! From classic shakshouka recipes to fusion dishes, there are plenty of interesting variations to try. For example, you can add some feta cheese and olives to the mix to give it a Greek twist. Or why not add some smoked paprika and chorizo for a Spanish-style take? If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even try a Mexican-style version with chilies, tomatoes, and black beans.
What is the best way to serve shakshouka?
The best way to serve shakshouka is piping hot with a crusty loaf of bread to mop up all the delicious sauce! This classic North African dish is a flavourful combination of eggs poached in a tomato and pepper sauce. Perfect for any meal of the day, shakshouka is an easy and nutritious dish to whip up.
To start, you’ll need a large skillet to fry up some onions, garlic and peppers. Once they become fragrant and tender add in some tomatoes and tomato paste. Give the mixture a stir and let it simmer for a few minutes. Now comes the fun part – crack your eggs into the sauce and let them poach until the whites are set. Then, sprinkle the dish with your favourite herbs and spices for extra flavour.
Before serving, make sure the shakshouka is piping hot. You can even add a dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream for a creamy finish.
Why should you try making shakshouka at home?
You should definitely try making shakshouka at home! This delicious dish is a traditional breakfast from the Middle East, but it can easily become a favorite meal at any time of day. It’s a great way to start the day with a dose of protein and veggies, or an energizing lunch for a midday pick-me-up. Plus, you can customize it to your exact taste preferences.
Shakshouka is a simple dish to make. It starts with a base of tomatoes, onions, garlic and spices. Then, eggs are added and poached directly in the sauce. You can mix in your favorite vegetables, bits of cheese, or even add a bit of heat with some chili peppers. You can also use different types of eggs, so you can make a vegan version if you’d prefer.
The great thing about shakshouka is that it’s as nutritious as it is delicious. You get a good dose of vitamins and minerals from the veggies and eggs, and you can use healthy ingredients like olive oil, herbs, and low-fat cheese to make it even better for you.
Shakshouka is also a great way to get creative with your cooking. You can easily make it to suit your exact tastes, with unique combinations of ingredients and spices. Plus, it’s a quick and easy meal to prepare, so you can make it in no time at all.