When I think of summertime, one of the first things that comes to mind is the sweet taste of homemade plum jelly. I remember growing up, my parents would make batches of this delicious jelly from the plums we grew in our backyard. Every year, I looked forward to the sweet, fruity flavor of this jelly and the wonderful memories that came with it. Now, I’ve taken over the tradition and make this plum jelly for my family. It’s the perfect way to savor the taste of summer, no matter what time of year it is!
Plum Jelly Recipe
- 3 pounds of plums
- 1 package of pectin
- 6 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of butter (optional)
- Welcome to the world of homemade jam-making! Let’s get started making some delicious plum jelly.
- Start by washing and cutting up the plums. You’ll need 3 pounds of plums for this recipe.
- Put all of the cut-up plums into a large pot, then add 6 cups of sugar and 1 cup of lemon juice. Give it a stir!
- Next, add 1 package of pectin and mix everything together.
- Optional: Add 1 tablespoon of butter to give the jelly a smoother texture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Now it’s time to test the mixture. Put a spoonful of the jelly on a cold plate. If it sets up and is thick, then you know your jelly is ready. If not, keep cooking for a few more minutes.
- Once you’ve reached the desired consistency, it’s time to transfer the jelly into jars. Make sure to leave about 1/4 inch of space at the top.
- Finally, secure the lids on the jars and let them cool.
- Congratulations! You’ve just made your very own delicious Plum Jelly. Enjoy!
- Calories: 225 kcal
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 58 g
- Sugar: 57 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0 g
What type of dishes is plum jelly best suited for?
Plum jelly is a versatile and delicious condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes! It is particularly well-suited for sweet and savory dishes alike. From topping toast and bagels to adding a sweet kick to barbecued meats and glazing baked goods, there are so many delicious ways to use plum jelly!
If you’re looking for a unique twist on a classic brunch favorite, try making toast or waffles with a generous layer of plum jelly. You can also use it as an alternative to jam on sandwiches or as a sweet addition to oatmeal. For a savory spin on the classic condiment, try using plum jelly to glaze roasted vegetables or to baste grilled meats. It adds a subtle sweetness that can take a dish from ordinary to extraordinary.
Plum jelly is also great for baking. Try adding a few spoonfuls to your favorite muffin or cake recipe to give it a sweet kick. You can also use it as a topping for pancakes or waffles. For a special treat, you can make a simple plum jelly and cream cheese tart. The combination of sweet and creamy flavors is sure to be a hit!
Finally, plum jelly is an excellent accompaniment to desserts. It pairs perfectly with ice cream and yogurt, and can be used in fruit pies or tarts. You can also use it to top crepes, pancakes, and waffles for a special treat.
All in all, plum jelly is an incredibly versatile condiment that can be used in sweet and savory dishes alike.
Are there any other ways to use plum jelly besides on toast?
Absolutely! Plum jelly is a versatile spread that can be used in a variety of ways to make all sorts of delicious dishes. From sweet and savory recipes to jams and jellies, there are endless possibilities! Here are just a few ways to use plum jelly that you may not have thought of.
- Topping for yogurt or oatmeal. Plum jelly can be used as a topping for yogurt or oatmeal for a sweet and flavorful twist. Just a few tablespoons on top can satisfy any cravings for something sweet.
- Sauce for grilled chicken. Plum jelly can be used as a sauce or glaze for grilled chicken. Just combine it with a few other ingredients like soy sauce, garlic, and ginger to make a tasty marinade that will make your chicken even more delicious.
- Spread for sandwiches and wraps. Plum jelly can also be used as a spread for sandwiches and wraps. Just spread it on the bread or wrap and add your favorite ingredients. The jelly will give your sandwich an extra flavorful kick.
- Dessert topping. Plum jelly can be used as a topping for desserts like ice cream, cheesecake, or even brownies. The sweet and fruity flavor of the jelly will enhance any dessert.
- Jam or jelly. Of course, you can also use plum jelly to make your own jam or jelly. Just combine it with other ingredients like sugar, lemon juice, and pectin to make your own homemade preserves.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to use plum jelly that you may not have thought of. With a little creativity and experimentation, you can turn this versatile spread into something special. So the next time you reach for that jar of plum jelly, think outside the box and try something new.
What are the health benefits of eating plum jelly?
Eating plum jelly offers a variety of health benefits, such as:
- Boosting your immune system: Plums are full of antioxidants, which help to fight off free radicals and keep your immune system strong.
- Improving digestion: Plums are rich in dietary fiber, helping to maintain regularity and prevent constipation.
- Lowering cholesterol: The pectin found in plum jelly helps to lower your cholesterol levels, reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Promoting healthy skin: Plums are full of vitamin C, which helps to reduce wrinkles and keep your skin looking young and healthy.
- Controlling blood sugar: Plums are a low-glycemic food, meaning they won’t spike your blood sugar levels like other sugary treats.
- Providing essential vitamins and minerals: Plums are a good source of vitamins A, K, and E, as well as minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and iron.
- Supporting weight loss: Plums are low in calories and can help to keep you full, making them a great snack for those looking to shed a few pounds.
How does the flavor of plum jelly compare to other jellies?
Plum jelly is one of the most unique and flavorful jellies out there! It has a sweet yet tart taste that truly stands out from other jellies.
- The flavor of plum jelly is a combination of sweet and sour, thanks to the combination of sugar and tart plums. This makes it the perfect accompaniment to many dishes, from sandwiches to salads.
- Plum jelly has a much more intense flavor than other jellies like grape or apple. It is also slightly thicker in texture and has a deep purple hue.
- The flavor of plum jelly is unique and can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a dish. It pairs well with savory ingredients like cheese and meats, as well as sweet ingredients like fruits and nuts.
What’s the difference between homemade and store-bought plum jelly?
If you’re looking to make your own unique, tasty plum jelly at home, then there’s no comparison to the store-bought stuff! Homemade plum jelly is much more flavorful, often containing more natural ingredients than the store-bought varieties. It also has a better texture, as you can control the consistency and make it just the way you like it. Plus, you get the satisfaction of knowing that you made it all yourself – and that’s an unbeatable feeling!
When it comes to store-bought plum jelly, it’s usually made with some form of artificial preservatives and sweeteners to make it shelf-stable and last longer. This means that it often has a longer shelf-life than homemade varieties, but it won’t have the same freshness or flavor. Plus, you won’t know the exact ingredients that went into it, so it’s hard to guarantee that it’s all-natural or healthy.
Overall, homemade plum jelly is definitely the way to go if you want a unique, delicious, and all-natural treat.
How long does homemade plum jelly last in the refrigerator?
Homemade plum jelly can last up to two weeks in the refrigerator! This is great news for those who want to make their own jelly, but aren’t sure how long it will last.
When it comes to making homemade plum jelly, the shelf-life is much longer than you might think. If you store the jelly properly in a sealed container, and refrigerate it, it can last up to two weeks. This is great news for those who want to make their own jelly but don’t want to worry about it going bad.
The key to making sure your homemade plum jelly lasts is to make sure it is sealed properly. Use a tight-sealing lid and make sure it is properly sealed before storing it in the refrigerator. You should also make sure the jelly is well cooled before storing it, as this will help keep it fresh for a longer period of time.
It is also important to make sure you are using the jelly soon after you make it. The fresher the jelly, the longer it will last in the refrigerator. If you are not planning on using the jelly right away, you should freeze it. It can last up to six months in the freezer, so you can enjoy your homemade jelly all year long!
Making your own homemade jelly is a great way to enjoy the delicious taste of plums. And with proper storage, it can last up to two weeks in the refrigerator. So don’t be afraid to get creative in the kitchen and make your own plum jelly.