I remember trying Pie Iron Tacos for the first time at a camping trip when I was a kid. I was a bit hesitant at first, but I’m so glad I gave them a try! These savory tacos are cooked in a pie iron and are packed with flavor. The combination of melted cheese, seasoned beef, and crispy golden edges makes these tacos a camping favorite. If you’re looking for a simple yet delicious meal to make while camping, Pie Iron Tacos are a great option!
Pie Iron Tacos Recipe
- 8 Pie Iron taco shells
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat your Pie Iron to medium-high heat.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat, then season the beef mixture with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin.
- Place a Pie Iron taco shell on the Pie Iron, then add some of the beef mixture, followed by some shredded cheddar cheese.
- Close the Pie Iron, then cook for about 5 minutes, or until the shell is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Carefully remove the Pie Iron taco from the Pie Iron and place onto a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining Pie Iron taco shells, beef mixture, and cheese.
- Top the Pie Iron tacos with salsa, sour cream, and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve the Pie Iron tacos warm. Enjoy!
- Calories: 284
- Total Fat: 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
- Sodium: 424 mg
- Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Protein: 22.2 g
What is a pie iron and how is it used to make tacos?
A pie iron is a kitchen tool designed for cooking over an open fire or campfire. It consists of two hinged oval or round pieces of metal, usually cast iron, that open like a set of tongs. Sandwiches and other ingredients can be placed between the two halves of the iron, then clamped shut and cooked over a fire. Pie irons can also be used to make tacos.
Taco ingredients can be placed inside a folded tortilla, which is then put in the two halves of the pie iron. The halves are then clamped shut and the taco is cooked over the fire for a few minutes, until the tortilla is crispy and the filling is hot. The end result is a delicious campfire taco that can be topped with cheese, salsa, or other taco toppings.
Using a pie iron is a great way to have fun cooking over a fire. It allows for creative and custom tacos that can be tailored to different tastes. Plus, it’s an easy way to make delicious tacos with minimal mess and hassle. Pie irons also make great camping tools, as they are lightweight and easy to transport.
Whether you’re looking for a fun campfire activity or a convenient way to make tacos over an open flame, a pie iron is the perfect tool. With a little imagination, you can create some delicious and unique tacos that are sure to impress.
How do you season a pie iron taco?
How do You Season a Pie Iron Taco?
- Preheat your pie iron for 5-10 minutes over a campfire or on a stovetop.
- Generously season both sides of the taco with your favorite spices, such as salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder.
- Place the taco in the preheated pie iron and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings, such as cheese, salsa, sour cream, and lettuce.
What are some tips for cooking pie iron tacos?
Preheat your pie iron: Preheat your pie iron over a campfire, open flame or gas grill for about 10 minutes.
- Grease the iron: Apply a thin layer of butter to the inside of each side of the iron. This will help keep the taco filling from sticking.
- Fill the iron: Place a piece of bread in the iron and fill it with your favorite taco ingredients, such as ground beef, seasonings, Cheese, and salsa.
- Close the iron: Close the iron and press down lightly to seal the ingredients inside.
- Cook the taco: Cook over the heat source for about 4 minutes on each side, or until the bread is golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
What are the advantages of making tacos with a pie iron?
The primary advantage of making tacos with a pie iron is that it is an easy and fast way to cook tacos outdoors over a campfire or grill. This method allows for a delicious and convenient meal in just minutes. Additionally, tacos cooked in a pie iron are more flavorful due to the direct heat and smoky flavor of the fire. Furthermore, the process of making tacos with a pie iron requires minimal cleanup, as the tacos are cooked inside the iron itself.
Using a pie iron to make tacos is also a great way to get creative with your taco fillings. As the taco is cooked in the pie iron and sealed shut, any combination of ingredients can be used to make a unique and tasty meal. Pie irons come in a variety of sizes and shapes, so you can make tacos to suit any appetite. They also come with removable plates, so you can switch out plates to customize the taco shape or size.
Finally, making tacos with a pie iron is a fun and sociable way to enjoy a meal outdoors with family and friends. It is a great activity for camping trips and summer barbecues, as everyone can make their own custom tacos in the same amount of time. With a pie iron, creating a delicious and interactive meal is easy and enjoyable.
What types of fillings work best in pie iron tacos?
When making pie iron tacos, it’s important to choose the right filling to ensure a delicious and tasty meal. The most popular and traditional filling ingredients for pie iron tacos are ground beef, shredded cheese, and refried beans. Ground beef is an excellent source of protein and is a great base for the filling. Shredded cheese adds a richness and creaminess to the tacos and refried beans bring in a nice texture and extra flavor.
For a vegetarian option, consider using black beans, mushrooms, and onions. Black beans are a great source of fiber and are full of flavor. Mushrooms add a meaty texture and the onions bring in a nice sweetness. This combination of ingredients makes a delicious vegetarian filling.
For a lighter option, use shredded chicken, corn, and bell peppers. The chicken is high in protein and the corn and bell peppers bring in a nice sweetness. This combination also adds a great crunch and texture to the tacos.
For a heartier option, try using ground sausage, potatoes, and jalapeños. The ground sausage adds a nice smoky flavor, the potatoes add a hearty texture, and the jalapeños bring in a nice kick of heat. This combination makes for a very satisfying meal.
No matter what type of filling you choose for your pie iron tacos, you’re sure to have a delicious and tasty meal. Experiment with different combinations to find the perfect filling for your tacos.
What are some creative topping ideas for pie iron tacos?
With pie iron tacos, the possibilities of creative and delicious topping ideas are endless! From savory to sweet, there are plenty of topping options to choose from to make your tacos unique. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Spicy Salsa: Spice up your tacos with a homemade or store-bought salsa.
- Cheese: Add some extra cheesy goodness with freshly grated cheddar, mozzarella, or any other cheese of your choice.
- Guacamole: For a creamy, delicious topping, guacamole can’t be beat.
- Sour Cream: Cool and creamy sour cream is a great topping for any taco.
- Sliced Avocado: Add some freshness and nutrition with slices of avocado.
- Caramelized Onions: Caramelized onions add a sweet, savory flavor to your tacos.
- Pickled Jalapenos: For a little extra heat, top your tacos with pickled jalapenos.
- Green Onions: For an extra layer of flavor and texture, add some finely chopped green onions.
- Fresh Pico de Gallo: Pico de gallo is a classic topping for tacos, adding a fresh and flavorful touch.
- Shredded Lettuce: A light, crunchy topping, shredded lettuce adds a freshness to your tacos.
- Tomatoes: Top your tacos with fresh slices of tomatoes for a pop of flavor and color.
With these topping ideas, your pie iron tacos can be transformed into a delicious, creative meal. Whether you’re looking for something savory, sweet, or a mix of both, these topping ideas are sure to please.