I remember when I was a little girl and my grandmother would bake her famous Old Fashioned Coconut Cake. Every time I’d walk into her kitchen and catch a whiff of the sweet coconut aroma, it was like I’d been transported to a tropical paradise. The cake itself was even better, with a moist and fluffy texture, and the crunchy coconut flakes giving it a delightful crunch. Every bite was like a little piece of heaven! It’s been a family favorite ever since, and I’m excited to share my grandmother’s recipe with you.
Old Fashioned Coconut Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the coconut milk to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the shredded coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your delicious, homemade Old Fashioned Coconut Cake!
- Calories: 825
- Total Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Sodium: 856mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 122g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 82g
- Protein: 11g
What makes an old fashioned coconut cake so delicious?
There’s something truly special about an old fashioned coconut cake – it’s a classic Southern dessert that’s been enjoyed for generations! The secret to its deliciousness lies in the combination of fluffy cake layers, sweet coconut custard, and a generous layer of coconut frosting. The combination of these three elements is truly irresistible and gives the cake an out-of-this-world flavor.
The cake layers are made from a light and fluffy cake batter that’s flavored with coconut extract and coconut flakes. It’s baked to perfection in the oven and then stacked to form a moist and tender cake that’s full of sweet coconut flavor.
The coconut custard is what really sets this cake apart from other cakes. It’s made with coconut milk, sugar, and egg yolks, and it’s cooked until it’s thick and creamy. The custard adds a richness to the cake and helps to balance out the sweetness of the other components.
Finally, the cake is topped with a generous layer of coconut frosting. The frosting is made with butter, powdered sugar, and coconut extract, and it’s the perfect finishing touch. The frosting adds sweetness, texture, and a wonderful coconut flavor to the cake.
All of these components come together to create a classic Southern dessert that’s truly delicious.
What are some decorative ideas to make an old fashioned coconut cake look extra special?
When it comes to making old fashioned coconut cake look extra special, there’s no shortage of decorative ideas! Here are just a few that are sure to take your cake from classic to extraordinary:
- Top the cake with colorful, toasted coconut flakes. Not only will they give your cake a beautiful, tropical look, but they’ll also add a delightful crunch to each bite.
- If you’re feeling creative, try making your own cake topper with fondant. You can make fun shapes like lizards, palm trees, or even pineapples that will bring a sense of fun to your cake.
- For a more elegant look, adorn your cake with edible flowers. Rose petals, pansies, and violets make particularly beautiful decorations.
- If you want to give your cake some extra texture, try pressing macadamia nuts around the edges.
What are some tips for achieving the perfect texture for an old fashioned coconut cake?
Achieving the perfect texture for an old fashioned coconut cake is not as difficult as it may seem. Here are some easy tips to help you get the perfect texture for your coconut cake:
- Use cake flour for the best texture. Cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour, making it perfect for creating a soft and tender texture.
- Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature before you start baking. This will help your cake to rise evenly, creating a light and fluffy texture.
- Beat the eggs and butter together before adding the other ingredients. This will help to create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Bake the cake until it is slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Overbaking the cake will make it dry and crumbly.
- Cool the cake completely before frosting. This will help to ensure that the texture of your cake stays soft and moist.
- Frost the cake with a light and creamy frosting, such as a buttercream or cream cheese frosting. This will help to keep the texture light and fluffy.
How does the flavor of an old fashioned coconut cake compare to other types of cakes?
The flavor of an old fashioned coconut cake is unlike any other cake! It has a unique and exotic taste that tantalizes the taste buds and conjures up images of tropical island vacations. Here’s what sets the flavor of an old fashioned coconut cake apart from other types of cakes:
- Sweet and creamy coconut flavor: The most prominent flavor in an old fashioned coconut cake is the coconut itself. The flavor is sweet and creamy, with a slight nuttiness that brings out the unique flavor of the coconut.
- Vanilla and almond notes: Vanilla and almond extract also add to the flavor of an old fashioned coconut cake. The vanilla provides a hint of sweetness while the almond adds a nutty flavor.
- Subtle tropical notes: A hint of pineapple, mango, and other tropical fruits can be tasted in an old fashioned coconut cake. These subtle notes add a complexity to the flavor that you won’t find in other types of cakes.
- Aromatic spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices add a pleasant aroma and depth of flavor to an old fashioned coconut cake. These spices also provide a hint of warmth that makes the cake even more enjoyable.
In conclusion, the flavor of an old fashioned coconut cake is unlike any other cake. The sweet and creamy coconut flavor is complemented by the subtle notes of vanilla and almond, as well as the aromatic spices. The hint of tropical fruits adds a unique depth of flavor that sets the old fashioned coconut cake apart from other types of cakes.
What are some creative ways to serve an old fashioned coconut cake?
When it comes to serving an old fashioned coconut cake, the possibilities are endless! Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking for a fun way to enjoy the classic dessert, here are some creative ideas for adding a bit of flair to your next slice of coconut cake.
- Cut the cake into individual slices and serve them in a pineapple boat. This fun presentation will instantly add a tropical vibe to your cake.
- Create a parfait featuring layers of coconut cake and your favorite ice cream. This decadent treat is sure to please any crowd.
- If you want to keep it simple, top each slice of cake with a dollop of whipped cream and shredded coconut. This classic combination is always a hit.
- Put a twist on an old favorite by adding a scoop of coconut sorbet to the side of each slice.
- Garnish the cake with fresh fruit or a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
No matter how you choose to serve your old fashioned coconut cake, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone.