This recipe for molasses sugar cookies is a classic holiday favorite. The cookies are soft and chewy, with a rich flavor that comes from the molasses and spices. They’re perfect for holiday cookie exchanges or just to have on hand for when the mood strikes you.
- -1 cup butter, softened
- -1 cup sugar
- -1 egg
- -¼ cup molasses
- -2 cups all-purpose flour
- -½ teaspoon salt
- -2 teaspoons baking soda
- -1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- -½ teaspoon ground cloves
- -½ teaspoon ground ginger
1. In a bowl, cream together the butter flavored shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and molasses and beat well.
3. Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves and ginger. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
6. Roll into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar if desired (I usually don’t)and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet/baking tray .
7 Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown around edges but still soft in center when lightly touched with finger.. Cool slightly before removing from pan as they will be delicate!
- -1 cup butter, softened: 816 calories
- -1 cup sugar: 774 calories
- -1 egg: 143 calories
- -¼ cup molasses: 182 calories
- -2 cups all-purpose flour: 592 calories
- -½ teaspoon salt: 0 calories
- -2 teaspoons baking soda: 0 calories
- -1 teaspoon ground cinnamon: 6 calories
- -.5 teaspoon ground cloves 3 Calories
- -.5 teaspoon ground ginger 3 Calories
- Total recipe Molasses Sugar Cookies I : 2,236