When I’m looking for an easy and delicious dessert that’s sure to please any crowd, I always turn to my go-to recipe for Mixed Berry Crisp. I’ve been making this classic dessert for years, and it never fails to be a hit! The combination of juicy berries, crunchy oat topping, and sweet brown sugar makes this a truly irresistible treat. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do – let’s get started!
Mixed Berry Crisp Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Let’s get ready to make this delicious Mixed Berry Crisp! Here’s what you’ll need: 2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional). Now you’re ready to get started!
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F and grease a 9-inch pie plate or 8-inch square baking dish.
- Step 2: In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, fork, or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Step 3: In a separate bowl, combine the berries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Pour the berry mixture into the prepared dish.
- Step 4: Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the berries. If you’re using the almonds, sprinkle them over the top.
- Step 5: Bake for 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Step 6: Let cool for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy your Mixed Berry Crisp!
- Calories: 286 kcal, Carbohydrates: 39 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Sodium: 164 mg, Potassium: 179 mg, Fiber: 4 g, Sugar: 21 g, Vitamin A: 360 IU, Vitamin C: 17.5 mg, Calcium: 55 mg, Iron: 1.7 mg
What makes a mixed berry crisp so delicious?
A mixed berry crisp is an absolute taste sensation! The combination of sweet berries, crunchy topping, and creamy custard make it an unbeatable dessert. The combination of flavors and textures is what makes a mixed berry crisp so delicious.
The tartness of the berries is balanced by the sweetness of the topping, while the crunchy oats give the crisp its signature texture. The result is a dessert that’s both indulgent and light. Of course, the creamy custard or ice cream you choose to top it off with adds an extra layer of deliciousness.
Mixed berry crisps are incredibly versatile; you can use any combination of your favorite berries, from cherries and blueberries to raspberries and blackberries. You can also switch up the toppings and mix things up with the addition of crunchy nuts or coconut flakes.
This simple yet delicious dessert is a great way to use up seasonal fruit and is easy to throw together with pantry staples. Whether you make it for a special occasion or just for a mid-week treat, a mixed berry crisp is sure to please.
What are some tips for getting the perfect crust for a mixed berry crisp?
Making the perfect crust for a mixed berry crisp can be a challenge, but with a few simple tips, you can achieve a delicious, crunchy crust every time. Here are some of our favorite tips to get the perfect crust:
- Use a blend of butter and shortening for the best flavor and texture. Butter adds flavor and shortening helps to make the crust flaky.
- Don’t overmix the dough for the crust. The key is to just mix until the dough comes together; you don’t want it to be too wet or dry.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 1/8-inch thick. Then, use a fork to poke holes in the dough before baking.
- Bake the crust for about 12-14 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Assemble the crisp on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top the crust with your favorite mixed berry mixture, then sprinkle the top with a mixture of sugar, flour, and butter.
- Bake the crisp until the top is golden brown and the berries are bubbling.
Following these tips will ensure that you get the perfect crust for your mixed berry crisp every time.
What types of berries are best to use in a mixed berry crisp?
When it comes to making the perfect mixed berry crisp, there are so many options! Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries- the possibilities are endless! But if you’re looking for the perfect combination of flavor and texture, here are our top picks for the best berries to use in a mixed berry crisp:
Blueberries are a classic choice for a mixed berry crisp. They are sweet, juicy, and full of flavor. Plus, they are widely available and affordable, making them an easy choice for a delicious and budget-friendly dessert.
Raspberries add a nice balance of tartness and sweetness to a mixed berry crisp. Their bright and vibrant color also adds a nice visual contrast to the dessert.
Blackberries are a great option for a mixed berry crisp because of their deep, intense flavor. They also bring a nice texture to the crisp, with their small seeds adding a pleasant crunch.
Cranberries are a unique addition to a mixed berry crisp. They are tart and slightly sour, with a refreshing flavor that pairs nicely with the sweetness of the other berries.
No matter what combination of berries you choose, you are sure to end up with a delicious and beautiful dessert.
What other ingredients do you need to make a delicious mixed berry crisp?
You’re probably already drooling just thinking about a delicious mixed berry crisp, and you’ll be happy to know that the ingredients list is surprisingly short! In addition to the berries, you will need a few basic pantry items, including flour, sugar, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Flour forms the basis of the crisp topping, giving it an irresistibly crunchy texture. Sugar and brown sugar add sweetness and a subtle caramel flavor, while butter binds the ingredients together and also helps to create that coveted crispy texture. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt are added for a touch of warmth and flavor.
Once you have these ingredients, you’re ready to get baking! A classic mixed berry crisp is made with a mix of fresh berries like raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Feel free to experiment with other berries, like loganberries or boysenberries, or even with a combination of fresh and frozen berries.
Now all that’s left to do is mix up the topping ingredients and spread it over the berries before popping the crisp in the oven.
What type of topping will make your mixed berry crisp extra delicious?
If you’re looking to make your mixed berry crisp extra delicious, then the topping you should go with is a delicious crumble! A crumble is the perfect combination of oats, butter, and brown sugar that will create a crunchy, sweet topping that will perfectly complement the juicy berries underneath. It’s a classic topping that never fails to make your dish extra special. Plus, it’s quick and easy to make – just mix the crumble ingredients together and sprinkle it over the top of your crisp.
What’s the best way to layer the ingredients for a mixed berry crisp?
The best way to layer the ingredients for a mixed berry crisp is with a classic three-layer method! Start with a layer of buttery oat crumble, followed by a layer of frozen mixed berries, topped off with one more layer of oat crumble. This ensures that every bite is packed with flavor and texture, with a delicious crunchy topping. Not only is this method easy to master, but you can also switch up the ingredients to customize the flavor to your liking. A great way to mix things up is to use almond flour instead of oats for the crumble and add in some diced fresh fruit for an extra burst of flavor.
What’s the secret to making sure your mixed berry crisp turns out perfectly every time?
The key to making sure your mixed berry crisp turns out perfect every time is to use fresh, ripe berries and the best ingredients you can find! Having the right supplies on hand is crucial for creating a delicious and flavorful crisp.
When gathering your ingredients, make sure to use a mix of berries that you like and are in season. This will give your crisp the best flavor and texture. Berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all great options.
Once you have your ingredients, it’s time to assemble the crisp. Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Then, mix together the berries in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Next, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix them together until a crumbly mixture forms. Take the mixture and sprinkle it over the top of the berries in an even layer. Lastly, bake the crisp for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
If you follow these simple steps, you’ll have a delicious and perfectly cooked mixed berry crisp every time! The perfect combination of sweet and tart berries combined with a crunchy, crumbly topping is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.