I love Asian food, and these Minced Pork and Watermelon Lettuce Wraps are a perfect way to enjoy some delicious flavors without breaking the bank! I made these wraps for lunch the other day, and they were so delicious and flavorful! The combination of the pork and the watermelon really surprised me, and the lettuce wraps held everything together perfectly. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try if you’re looking for something a little different and flavorful.
Minced Pork and Watermelon Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 1 lb. lean ground pork
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 5 large lettuce leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the ground pork and red onion. Cook until the pork is lightly browned and the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, rice vinegar, and honey. Stir to combine and cook another 3 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the heat and add in the cubed watermelon and white pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place the lettuce leaves on a baking sheet. Divide the pork mixture among the leaves and fold them up like a burrito.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take the wraps out of the oven and serve warm. Enjoy!
- Calories: 300
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 470mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 14g
- Protein: 22g
What makes this minced pork and watermelon lettuce wrap recipe so special?
This minced pork and watermelon lettuce wrap recipe is truly special! Combining savory pork and sweet watermelon in a lettuce wrap is an unexpected and satisfying flavor combination. The crunchiness of the lettuce, juiciness of the watermelon, and savoriness of the pork come together to create an amazing texture experience. Plus, it’s a quick and easy meal that’s perfect for summer.
One of the key ingredients that makes this recipe so unique is the sweet and sticky hoisin sauce. The sweetness of the hoisin pairs perfectly with the pork and watermelon, and it adds a layer of flavor that really elevates the dish. The addition of fresh herbs like cilantro and mint also adds a freshness and brightness to this dish.
This recipe is not only delicious, but also incredibly versatile. You can substitute different types of lettuce, or even use a wrap of your choice. And, you can switch up the ingredients to your liking – try adding different vegetables, or even replacing the pork with a plant-based alternative.
Overall, this minced pork and watermelon lettuce wrap recipe is truly special. The combination of flavors, textures, and ingredients make it a unique and satisfying meal that’s perfect for summer. Plus, it’s incredibly versatile, so you can make it your own each time.
What are some creative alternatives to lettuce wraps?
If you’re looking for something different and delicious to replace traditional lettuce wraps, you’re in luck! There are plenty of creative alternatives that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. From tortillas to cheese slices, there are lots of options that offer up an irresistible combination of flavor and texture. Here are some of our favorite alternatives to minced pork and watermelon lettuce wraps:
- Baked Potato Skins: Potato skins are not only a great alternative to lettuce wraps, but they offer a unique and flavorful experience. Simply bake your potato skins, stuff them with minced pork and watermelon, and top with your favorite toppings.
- Cucumber Wrap: If you’re looking for something light and crunchy, cucumber wraps are a great alternative. Thinly slice cucumbers and fill them with minced pork and watermelon. For a bit of added flavor, top with sesame seeds and a dash of soy sauce.
- Cheese Slices: Who doesn’t love cheese? Cheese slices make a great wrap alternative and they hold together perfectly, keeping all the yummy filling inside. Try wrapping your minced pork and watermelon in your favorite cheese slices and enjoy!
- Peppadews: Peppadews are sweet, spicy and a great addition to any wrap. Stuff them with minced pork and watermelon, and you have a delicious, flavorful wrap that is sure to please.
- Collard Greens: Collard greens are a great alternative to lettuce wraps and they offer up a unique flavor and texture. Simply roll up your minced pork and watermelon in a collard green leaf and enjoy.
These creative alternatives to lettuce wraps are sure to take your dish to the next level.
What nutritional benefits can someone get from this dish?
- Minced Pork and Watermelon Lettuce Wraps are an incredibly nutritious dish! This combination of flavors packs a major health punch.
- The pork is a great source of protein, providing your body with a range of essential amino acids that are vital for muscle development and growth.
- Watermelon is rich in vitamins A, B6, and C, as well as a variety of minerals that help to support healthy skin and bones.
- Lettuce is a great source of dietary fiber, helping to keep your digestive system healthy and your cholesterol levels in check.
- This dish also provides a good dose of iron, magnesium, and zinc, which are essential for healthy blood, energy levels, and immune system function.
- All of these nutritional benefits make this a great option for a healthy lunch or dinner that is sure to leave you feeling satisfied and energized.
What are the best tips and tricks for wrapping the lettuce wrap?
Start with chilled lettuce. Iceberg lettuce is a great choice, but you can also choose butter lettuce or romaine lettuce.
- When adding the filling, use a spoon or spatula to spread the ingredients evenly over the lettuce.
- For an extra crunch, add some chopped nuts or toasted sesame seeds.
- Once you’ve added the filling and spices, roll up the lettuce to form a wrap.
- To keep the wrap together, use a toothpick or a piece of kitchen twine.
How can one add extra flavor to this recipe?
Adding extra flavor to Minced Pork and Watermelon Lettuce Wraps is easy and delicious! One of the best ways to bring out the flavors of this dish is by adding some fresh herbs and spices. For example, adding some fresh cilantro, chives, or basil to the pork mixture adds a bright and herbal flavor. Alternatively, you can also add some garlic, ginger, or chili pepper for a more intense flavor. If you want to add a bit of sweetness to the wraps, try adding a teaspoon of honey or a sprinkle of brown sugar. For a more savory flavor, add a few tablespoons of soy sauce or fish sauce.
What other vegetables or proteins can be used with this recipe?
Yes! This recipe is incredibly versatile and can be adapted to use a variety of other vegetables and proteins. For instance, if you don’t have minced pork, you could just as easily use ground chicken or turkey. You can also swap out the watermelon for diced cucumber or julienned carrots for a crunchier texture. And if you’re looking for some extra flavor, you can add in some chopped herbs like cilantro or basil.
What are some unique garnishes to top the lettuce wrap?
When it comes to these delectable Minced Pork and Watermelon Lettuce Wraps, you don’t want to skimp on the garnishes! To really take your wraps to the next level, there are a few unique garnishes you can use to top them off. Some tasty options include a sprinkle of feta cheese, a drizzle of balsamic glaze, a few sprigs of fresh mint, and a few slices of jalapeno. All of these delicious toppings work together to add a tangy, crunchy, and spicy flavor to the wraps and give them a restaurant-quality finish. So go ahead and be creative with your garnishes and make sure your lettuce wraps are anything but ordinary.