Delicious Meatloaf Casserole Recipe
I’ve been making this delicious Meatloaf Casserole for years, and it’s always a hit! It’s a classic comfort food recipe that’s simple to make and always so flavorful. Everyone always raves about this casserole and it’s sure to become a favorite in your household too!
Meatloaf Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup crushed crackers
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 2 pounds of lean ground beef, 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of chopped onion, 1/2 cup of crushed crackers, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of mustard powder, 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper, and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious Meatloaf Casserole!
- Calories: 415 kcal
- Total Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 151 mg
- Sodium: 600 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Protein: 38 g
What makes this meatloaf casserole recipe so special?
You’re going to love this meatloaf casserole recipe! It has all of the classic flavors of a traditional meatloaf, but with a few extra special ingredients that make it stand out from the crowd. The combination of ground beef and pork sausage, combined with a creamy mushroom sauce, make this a flavor-packed dish that is sure to please.
The key to making this casserole truly special is the addition of two key ingredients that add an extra layer of flavor. The first is a layer of sharp cheddar cheese that adds the perfect amount of kick and richness. The second is a mix of herbs and spices that give the casserole a unique flavor and aroma. The combination of these two ingredients makes this casserole a delicious and memorable dish.
The other great thing about this meatloaf casserole is that it’s easy to make. All you need to do is mix the ground beef, pork sausage, and herbs and spices together. Then layer the mixture in a casserole dish and top with the cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the casserole is cooked all the way through.
What ingredients do you need to make this delicious casserole?
You don’t need many ingredients to make this delicious Meatloaf Casserole. All you need is some ground beef, onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, and potatoes.
For the ground beef, you want to use 80/20 ground beef for the juiciest and most flavorful casserole. You’ll need about 1 to 1.5 pounds of ground beef, depending on how thick you want the layers of your casserole to be.
To make the casserole flavorful, you’ll need some diced onion and garlic. You’ll want to sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until they are softened. This should take about 5 minutes.
The egg is an essential ingredient for binding the meatloaf together. One large egg should be enough for the casserole.
To give the casserole a crunchy top, you’ll need some seasoned bread crumbs. If you don’t have any on hand, you can make your own by pulsing some plain bread crumbs in a food processor with some herbs and spices.
To add sweetness and tang to the casserole, you’ll need a little ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. You can adjust the ratio of these ingredients to your taste.
Finally, top the casserole with some shredded cheese and thinly sliced potatoes. The cheese will add a nice creaminess to the casserole, while the potatoes will give the casserole a nice golden crust.
What tips and tricks do you need to know to make this casserole perfectly?
Here are some tips and tricks to make your Meatloaf Casserole perfectly:
- Use extra-lean ground beef: Extra-lean ground beef contains very little fat which helps keep your casserole from becoming too greasy.
- Add some vegetables: Carrots, onions, and celery all make great additions to your meatloaf casserole. Chopping them up into small pieces and adding them to the mix will give your casserole a great flavor.
- Use fresh herbs: Fresh herbs add a burst of flavor to your casserole. Try adding some fresh parsley, basil, or oregano for a delicious twist.
- Use a combination of cheeses: Adding a combination of cheeses such as mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan will give your casserole a cheesy flavor.
- Topping it off: Sprinkling some breadcrumbs or panko on top of your casserole will give it a nice crunchy topping that will make it even more delicious.
- Bake it low and slow: The key to getting a perfectly cooked casserole is to bake it low and slow. This will make sure that your casserole is cooked all the way through without burning the top.
What tips can you give to make sure your meatloaf casserole comes out perfectly every time?
- First and foremost, be sure to use fresh ingredients. Choose the freshest ground beef you can find as well as herbs, spices, and other seasonings.
- When it comes to seasoning your meatloaf casserole, don’t be afraid to be bold and generous with your seasonings. Use a balanced mix of herbs and spices to give your casserole a unique flavor profile.
- Be sure to add plenty of moisture when making the meatloaf mixture. Add a few tablespoons of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or even a few tablespoons of broth to keep your casserole moist and flavorful.
- Form your meatloaf mixture into an even layer in the baking dish. This will help ensure even cooking and a beautiful finished casserole.
- When baking, be sure to preheat the oven and to keep an eye on the casserole. Depending on the size of your dish, the cooking time may vary. As a general rule, most meatloaf casseroles need to bake for at least 45 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center of the casserole reads 165F.
- Let your meatloaf casserole rest for at least 10 minutes after baking. This will allow the juices to redistribute, giving you a perfectly moist and flavorful casserole.
- Finish with a topping of your choice for a beautiful presentation. Choose from shredded cheese, crispy onions, fresh herbs, or a drizzle of your favorite sauce.
How easy is it to make this classic dish?
Making a classic Meatloaf Casserole is actually surprisingly easy! All you need are a few simple pantry staples, a few fresh ingredients, and about an hour of your time. Even if you’re new to cooking, you’ll be able to pull this dish off with no problem. Once you’ve got everything prepped, the casserole is practically a set-it-and-forget-it kind of meal.
The ingredients for this classic dish are pretty straightforward. All you need is ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, onions, garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper. You’ll also need some cheese to top it off with. Once you have all your ingredients gathered, the rest is easy.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, onions, garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until everything is well combined. Next, spread the mixture into an oven-safe dish and top with a layer of the carrots and celery. Finally, sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for about 45 minutes.
And that’s it! You’ll have a delicious Meatloaf Casserole ready to serve in no time. You don’t need to be a master chef to make this classic dish – just a few pantry staples, a bit of prep time, and you’ll have a beautiful, delicious casserole to serve.
What sides go best with a hearty meatloaf casserole?
When it comes to a hearty meatloaf casserole, you can never go wrong with a combination of classic sides. The classic sides will bring out the flavor of the meatloaf and give the casserole that extra something special. Some popular sides to pair with a meatloaf casserole include mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, cornbread, and green beans.
Mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish to accompany the hearty flavors of a meatloaf casserole. They are creamy and comforting and will provide a great texture to the dish. Roasted carrots are a great way to add a bit of sweetness and color to the casserole. These carrots can be drizzled with a bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic for an added flavor boost.
Cornbread is another classic side to serve with a meatloaf casserole. It’s a great way to bring some sweetness and texture to the dish. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be made in advance. Green beans are also a great accompaniment to a meatloaf casserole. They are healthy and flavorful and bring a bit of crunch and color to the dish.
A hearty meatloaf casserole can be enjoyed with all of these classic sides, or you can mix and match and add your own unique twist. No matter what sides you choose, you’ll be sure to have a delicious meal that everyone will love.
What variations can you make to this recipe to make it your own?
Have you ever been wanting to make a delicious Meatloaf Casserole but you want to add your own twist? Well look no further! There are plenty of ways to make this classic dish your own.
One way to mix it up is by trying different types of ground meat. You don’t have to stick with the classic beef, you can try ground pork, turkey, or chicken. Or, if you’re feeling extra adventurous, you can even try a combination of different types of meat!
Another way to make this casserole your own is to use different types of vegetables. You can start with the classic onion, celery, and bell pepper and then try adding some mushrooms or carrots. You can also experiment with different types of cheese like mozzarella or even blue cheese.
You can also try different flavors of breadcrumbs. You can use plain breadcrumbs but you can also try flavored ones such as garlic or Italian-style. This is a great way to give your casserole a unique flavor.
Finally, you can try different sauces for the topping. The classic ketchup is always a great option but you can also try barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, or even hot sauce.
These are just a few ideas for making your Meatloaf Casserole unique. With a little bit of creativity, you can come up with your own unique variation of this classic dish.