I’m a huge fan of sweet and tangy desserts, so when I discovered the Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake recipe I was beyond excited. Initially, I was a little intimidated by the idea of making a cake from scratch, but after giving it a try, I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to make. The combination of the soft, smooth ricotta cheese with a burst of citrus from the lemon was absolutely delicious. I can confidently say that this cake has become a favorite in my home.
Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake
- Let’s get started on this delicious Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake!
- First, we’ll need the following ingredients:
- /4 cup all-purpose flour
- teaspoon baking powder
- /4 teaspoon baking soda
- /4 teaspoon salt
- /2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- cup granulated sugar
- large eggs
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- /2 cup ricotta cheese
- /4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- tablespoon lemon zest
- /4 cup plain yogurt
- /2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Now let’s get started!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then mix in the vanilla extract, ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cake has cooled, combine the yogurt and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Drizzle the yogurt mixture over the cooled cake and enjoy!
- There you have it – your Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake! It took a total of 45 minutes of preparation and 40 minutes of baking time, but it was worth it! Enjoy!
- Calories: 441 kcal
- Total Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 92 mg
- Sodium: 242 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1 g
- Sugars: 35 g
- Protein: 8 g
What makes this lemon-ricotta dessert cake so special?
This lemon-ricotta dessert cake is truly something special! It’s a moist, fluffy, and tart cake that’s bursting with flavor. The lemon-ricotta filling gives it a creamy richness that can’t be found in any other cake. The combination of the sweet and tart flavors creates a unique taste that will keep you coming back for more.
What are the key ingredients in this delicious cake?
This delicious Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake is made with a few key ingredients that make it truly special. The star of the cake is the combination of ricotta cheese and lemon zest, which gives it a light and creamy texture. Other key ingredients include almond flour, vanilla extract, baking soda, and eggs. To finish, the cake is topped off with a luscious lemon glaze.
How do the flavors of ricotta and lemon pair together?
Yes! The zesty flavor of lemon and the creamy flavor of ricotta make for a delicious combination. Let’s dive into how the two can be used together to make a scrumptious dessert.
- Ricotta has a creamy, mild flavor and a fluffy texture. This helps to balance the tartness of the lemon, creating a pleasant balance of flavors.
- When making a cake, ricotta can be used to make the cake light and moist. This helps to create a fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth texture that pairs perfectly with the zing of the lemon.
- The combination of ricotta and lemon can also be used to make a deliciously creamy custard. This custard can then be used as a filling for a tart or can be served as a standalone dessert.
- Another great way to use the combination of ricotta and lemon is to make a smooth and creamy cheesecake. The ricotta adds a creamy richness to the flavorful lemon, making for a delightful treat.
Using ricotta and lemon together is a great way to create a tasty and unique dessert. The combination of the creamy ricotta and the zesty lemon make for a delicious flavor combination that is sure to delight your taste buds.
What are the benefits of using ricotta in a cake?
Ricotta lends a light, fluffy texture to the cake, giving it a delicious, creamy consistency.
- The ricotta also adds a subtle, slightly tangy flavor to the cake, creating an uncommon but delicious flavor profile.
- The ricotta helps to keep the cake moist and tender, making it easier to slice and serve.
- Ricotta adds a protein boost to the cake, making it more healthful and nutritious.
- Ricotta is a low-fat alternative to traditional cake ingredients, making it perfect for those watching their calorie intake.
What tips and tricks can you use to make the perfect lemon-ricotta dessert cake?
Make sure to use fresh lemons: Fresh lemons will provide the best flavor and texture for your dessert cake. Start by zesting your lemons and then cutting them in half and squeezing out the juice.
- Use full-fat ricotta cheese: When it comes to your ricotta, make sure to use full-fat. This will provide the best flavor and texture for your cake.
- Carefully fold in the ingredients: When you are folding in the ingredients, be sure not to over-mix them. This will help the cake rise and achieve a light and airy texture.
- Bake until golden brown: When baking your cake, be sure to bake it until it is a golden brown. This will help you achieve the perfect flavor and texture.
- Use a toothpick test: Before taking your cake out of the oven, be sure to use a toothpick test. This will help you determine if your cake is done baking.
- Let your cake cool: Once you have taken your cake out of the oven, be sure to let it cool completely before adding any glazes or decorations.
- Use a simple glaze: A simple glaze is the best way to finish off your perfect lemon-ricotta dessert cake. Try using a simple lemon glaze made from freshly squeezed lemon juice, sugar, and butter.
What are some unique ways to serve this cake?
Serving Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake is a great way to bring a taste of Italy to your table. With its light and fluffy texture, it’s sure to be a hit! But if you really want to wow your guests, it’s time to think outside the box. Here are some unique ways to serve this delicious cake:
- Layer it up. Layer slices of the cake with fresh ricotta cheese and top with a sprinkle of lemon zest for a delicious and impressive dessert.
- Go mini. Cut the cake into mini slices and serve as individual desserts. Top with a dollop of fresh cream and a sprinkle of lemon zest for added flavor.
- Get fruity. Serve the cake with a side of fresh, seasonal fruit. Strawberries, blueberries, and oranges are great options to pair with the lemony flavor of the cake.
- Serve with ice cream. Serve slices of the cake with a scoop of your favorite ice cream for an extra special treat.
No matter how you decide to serve it, Lemon-Ricotta Dessert Cake is sure to be a hit.