Delicious Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancakes Recipe
I’m so excited to share with you my favorite Latvian dish – Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancakes! Growing up in Latvia, I was surrounded by the traditional and delicious flavors of Latvian cuisine. The Latvian cottage cheese pancakes have always been a favorite of mine, and I’m so happy to share the recipe with you so that you can experience the same deliciousness I grew up with. Let’s get cooking!
Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional butter, for cooking pancakes
- Get ready to make some delicious Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancakes! Start by gathering all of the ingredients you’ll need: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, 2 large eggs, 2 tablespoons butter (melted), 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and additional butter for cooking pancakes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk them together until they’re evenly blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, eggs, melted butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt some butter.
- Drop about 1/4 cup of the pancake batter into the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the skillet as needed.
- Serve your Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancakes warm with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Calories: 202 kcal
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 74 mg
- Sodium: 316 mg
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Protein: 9 g
What makes latvian cottage cheese pancakes so special?
Latvian cottage cheese pancakes are special because they are incredibly light and fluffy, while also being incredibly flavorful. The combination of creamy cottage cheese, sweet and tangy applesauce, and a hint of cinnamon make them an irresistible breakfast treat. Serve them up with a dollop of sour cream and you’ve got yourself a delicious and nutritious morning meal.
The secret to making these pancakes so light and fluffy is to use the right ingredients. The key is to use a high-quality cottage cheese that is low in fat. You also want to use a mix of all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and baking powder. This combination gives the pancakes a light and airy texture.
Once you’ve got the perfect batter, you’ll need to add the applesauce and cinnamon. Applesauce adds a lovely sweetness to the pancakes and the cinnamon gives them a warm and comforting flavor. Be sure to mix these ingredients into the batter until evenly distributed.
Once you’ve got the perfect batter, you’ll need to cook the pancakes. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a bit of oil. When the pan is hot, pour in a ladle of the batter and cook until golden brown on both sides. Serve your pancakes with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a delicious and nutritious breakfast treat.
Latvian cottage cheese pancakes are a delicious and nutritious breakfast treat. With their light and fluffy texture, sweet applesauce, and warm cinnamon flavor, they’re sure to be a hit with family and friends.
How do latvian cottage cheese pancakes differ from traditional pancakes?
Latvian cottage cheese pancakes differ from traditional pancakes in a few key ways! Here’s what you need to know:
- They’re made with a combination of cottage cheese and eggs, so they have a distinctive creamy, cheesy flavor.
- They’re thicker than traditional pancakes, with a lighter, spongier texture.
- They’re often served with jam, sour cream, or applesauce as a topping.
- They typically don’t use added sugar, so they’re a great option if you’re looking for a low-sugar alternative.
- They’re best served hot, right off the griddle!.
So, if you’re looking for something unique, give Latvian cottage cheese pancakes a try! With their creamy, cheesy flavor and spongy texture, they’re sure to be a hit.
What tips do you have for making the perfect latvian cottage cheese pancakes?
Have fun! Making Latvian cottage cheese pancakes should be an enjoyable experience. Gather your family and friends to help make the pancakes and to enjoy the end product.
- Use the right ingredients. Latvian cottage cheese pancakes are traditionally made with cottage cheese, eggs, flour, and a pinch of salt. Other ingredients can be added to the batter for flavor.
- Heat the pan properly. Before adding the batter, make sure the pan is hot enough so that the pancakes will cook evenly.
- Keep the pancakes small. Latvian cottage cheese pancakes are usually served in small, round shapes, so use a tablespoon to measure the batter for each one.
- Cook the pancakes on both sides. Cook each side for about two minutes, flipping the pancakes carefully with a spatula.
- Use the right topping. Latvian cottage cheese pancakes are often served with sour cream, jam, or honey. Other toppings can be used as well, depending on your preference.
- Enjoy! Latvian cottage cheese pancakes are a delicious treat that your family and friends are sure to enjoy.
What ingredients do you need to make latvian cottage cheese pancakes?
To make Latvian cottage cheese pancakes, you’ll need a few simple ingredients. All you need is cottage cheese, flour, eggs, sugar, butter, and a pinch of salt. You can even add a few tablespoons of raisins or chopped nuts for an extra burst of flavor.
To begin, mix the cottage cheese, flour, eggs, sugar, butter, and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until they form a smooth batter. If you want to add raisins or nuts, mix them in at this stage.
Then, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Grease the pan with butter or cooking spray and ladle a small scoop of pancake batter onto the pan. Cook the pancakes for about 2 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and the center is set. Flip the pancake and cook for another 2 minutes.
Continue this process until all the pancake batter is used. Serve the pancakes hot with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of sugar, and a sprig of mint.
How can you make latvian cottage cheese pancakes extra special?
You can make Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancakes extra special by adding a few ingredients to the batter! Try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon for a sweet and spicy flavor, or a few tablespoons of poppy seeds for a nutty crunch. For a bit of sweetness, try adding a tablespoon of brown sugar or honey. And if you want a bit of a kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or chili flakes. You can even top off the pancakes with some fresh berries or fruit compote for a delicious and colorful finish.
What do you think are the best accompaniments for latvian cottage cheese pancakes?
You can never go wrong with a classic combination of sour cream and jam! Both of these condiments add a lovely sweetness that goes perfectly with the rich and savoury flavour of the pancakes. If you’re looking for something a bit more unusual, why not try topping your pancakes with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and honey? The creamy yoghurt adds a nice tanginess to the pancakes, and the honey adds a delightful sweetness. You can also add a bit of crunch to the pancakes by sprinkling over some toasted nuts or seeds. This adds a lovely texture to the dish and adds some extra nutrition too. Finally, you can’t go wrong with some fresh fruits like berries or peaches. The tartness of the berries and the sweetness of the peaches provide the perfect balance to the pancakes.
What other recipes can you make with latvian cottage cheese pancakes?
You can make so much more than just your traditional Latvian cottage cheese pancakes with this versatile and delicious dish! Here are a few delicious recipes to get you started:
- Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancake Roll-Ups: Try adding some herbs and spices to your pancakes, then rolling them up with a filling of your choice. Serve with a side of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancake Pie: Layer your pancakes in a pie dish with a filling of your choice and top with a crispy layer of cheese. Bake until golden and serve with a side of fruit.
- Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancake Lasagna: Start by making a lasagna-style dish with alternating layers of your pancakes, a filling, and a cheesy topping. Bake and serve with a side of steamed vegetables or a salad.
- Latvian Cottage Cheese Pancake Bites: Cut your pancakes into bite-size pieces, then fry or bake them. Serve with a sour cream or Greek yogurt dip.
These recipes are sure to get you and your family excited about Latvian cottage cheese pancakes.