Deliciously Crispy Sesame Chicken – Perfect For Any Occasion!
Growing up, my favorite restaurant meal was always sesame chicken. I used to beg my mom to take me there, and I’d order it every time without fail. Years later, I decided to try my hand at making it myself, and I’m thrilled to share with you my recipe for homemade sesame chicken. The combination of the crunchy sesame seeds, the sweet and savory sauce, and the juicy chicken is an unforgettable flavor experience. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do!
Homemade Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 whole chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, white sugar, sesame seeds and cornstarch. Whisk until all ingredients are completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cold water and cornstarch until a thick paste forms.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Drain off any excess oil.
- Pour the sesame sauce over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the white rice according to the package instructions.
- After 25 minutes, remove the sesame chicken from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve the sesame chicken over the cooked white rice. Enjoy!
- Calories: 397 kcal, Carbohydrates: 36.7 g, Protein: 15.3 g, Fat: 19.8 g, Saturated Fat: 3.7 g, Cholesterol: 57 mg, Sodium: 855 mg, Potassium: 245 mg, Fiber: 0.7 g, Sugar: 19.7 g, Vitamin A: 45 IU, Vitamin C: 0.7 mg, Calcium: 15 mg, Iron: 1.2 mg
What is the difference between homemade and store-bought sesame chicken?
The primary difference between homemade and store-bought sesame chicken is the amount of control over the flavor and ingredients. When preparing sesame chicken at home, the cook is able to decide which ingredients to use, how much of each ingredient, and how to flavor the dish. Store-bought sesame chicken is typically made to a recipe that has been predetermined by the manufacturer, making it harder to customize to individual tastes.
When preparing homemade sesame chicken, the cook has the option to choose the type of chicken used, the type of sauce, and the level of spiciness. For instance, a cook may want to use dark meat chicken for their sesame chicken, while a store-bought product may only use white meat. The cook is also able to choose how much of each ingredient to use, and adjust the flavor to their liking.
Another major difference between homemade and store-bought sesame chicken is the freshness of the ingredients. Homemade sesame chicken is typically made with fresh ingredients that have been purchased from the grocery store or farmers’ market. Store-bought sesame chicken can contain preservatives, additives, and other artificial ingredients. Therefore, homemade sesame chicken is typically healthier and more flavorful than store-bought.
Finally, homemade sesame chicken is usually less expensive than store-bought. The cost of ingredients and the time required to prepare the meal will vary depending on the recipe, but it is typically cheaper to make sesame chicken at home than to buy it from a restaurant or store.
In conclusion, the main difference between homemade and store-bought sesame chicken is the amount of control over the flavor and ingredients. Homemade sesame chicken is typically healthier, more flavorful, and less expensive than store-bought.
What benefits does making sesame chicken at home offer?
Making sesame chicken at home offers several benefits:
- Taste: Homemade sesame chicken has a unique and delicious flavor that cannot be replicated in a restaurant or store-bought meal.
- Health: When you make sesame chicken at home, you can control the ingredients used, ensuring it is made with a healthier recipe than what is often served in restaurants.
- Cost: Making sesame chicken at home can be cheaper than ordering it from a restaurant or buying it premade.
- Time: You can save time by making sesame chicken at home, as you can make a large batch and store it in the freezer for quick and easy meals.
- Versatility: Sesame chicken can be served a variety of ways, from a classic stir-fry to tacos to sandwiches. Making it at home allows you to customize the dish to suit your tastes.
What tips can be used to ensure a delicious homemade sesame chicken?
Begin by marinating the chicken in a mixture of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil. This will provide a flavorful base and also help keep the chicken tender during cooking.
- Use a wok or pan with deep sides to get the best results with the sesame chicken. This will allow the chicken to be cooked evenly, allowing the sauce and sesame flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Add the vegetables to the pan after the chicken has been cooked through. This will ensure they are cooked evenly and keep their texture and flavor.
- Finally, use toasted sesame seeds to garnish the dish. This will provide a nice crunch and extra flavor to the finished dish.
What are some health benefits associated with sesame chicken?
Sesame Chicken is a delicious and nutritious dish that has a variety of health benefits.
- It is low in fat, making it ideal for those who are trying to lose weight or watching their calorie intake.
- It is also high in protein, providing essential amino acids for building strong muscles.
- The toasted sesame seeds used in the dish provide a number of beneficial minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and zinc, which can help strengthen bones and teeth.
- The dish also contains a good amount of fiber, which can help promote digestive health.
- Sesame Chicken is also rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body from free radical damage and boost the immune system.
- Eating the dish can also help reduce inflammation in the body and provide relief from sore joints and muscles.
What ingredients are needed to make sesame chicken?
To make homemade sesame chicken, you’ll need a few basic ingredients: chicken, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, and cornstarch.
For the chicken, you can use either boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. If you prefer a juicier, more flavorful chicken, thighs are the best choice. Once you have the chicken, you’ll need to cut it into cubes or strips for the sesame chicken recipe.
Sesame oil is the key ingredient for this dish. It adds an authentic Asian flavor to the dish and helps to thicken the sauce. Soy sauce adds a salty, umami flavor and provides a bit of acidity to balance out the sweetness of the honey.
Garlic and ginger provide a pungent flavor to the sesame chicken. You can use freshly grated ginger and garlic or you can use pre-minced versions. Honey adds a bit of sweetness and helps to balance out the other flavors in the dish.
Finally, cornstarch is used to thicken the sauce. It is mixed with a bit of water to create a slurry, which is added to the sauce near the end of the cooking time.
Once you have all of the ingredients, you’re ready to make homemade sesame chicken. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a delicious, flavorful dish that your family will love.
What techniques can be used to create restaurant-style sesame chicken?
Creating restaurant-style sesame chicken at home is easy and can be done with a few simple techniques. The key to achieving that authentic flavor is to use ingredients that are readily available, as well as a few tricks to get the texture and crunch just right. Here are some tips for creating a delicious sesame chicken dish at home:
- Marinate the chicken: To get that juicy, succulent texture, marinating the chicken overnight is a must. Use a combination of honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger to infuse the chicken with flavor.
- Coat the chicken in a combination of cornstarch and egg: This will help create a crunchy crust on the outside of the chicken, while keeping the meat moist and tender on the inside.
- Fry the chicken: To get that golden-brown color and crunchy texture, fry the chicken in a few inches of oil heated to 365 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make the sauce: To replicate that restaurant-style flavor, whisk together a combination of hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Toss the chicken in the sauce: Once the chicken is cooked, toss it in the sauce and garnish with additional sesame seeds and green onions.
By following these simple techniques, you can easily create a delicious sesame chicken dish that tastes like it came from a restaurant. With just a few ingredients and some simple steps, you can whip up a tasty meal that is sure to please your family and friends.
What sides pair well with homemade sesame chicken?
When it comes to enjoying homemade sesame chicken, there are a number of delicious side dishes to choose from. Some of the most popular accompaniments to sesame chicken include steamed white rice, stir-fried vegetables, and crunchy noodles. To add a bit of extra flavor, many people also opt to include a flavorful sauce or condiment, such as soy sauce or sriracha, when serving the dish.
For those who prefer a heartier side dish, steamed white rice is a classic option. This simple, comforting side pairs perfectly with the flavorful sesame chicken and can be enjoyed on its own or served with a variety of sauces, seasonings, and spices.
For a lighter side, a stir-fried vegetable dish is a great choice. Mixed vegetables, such as bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli, are a great combination that adds a touch of sweetness to the plate. Stir-fried vegetables are also easy to customize, so you can add in your favorite vegetables and spices to create a dish tailored to your tastes.
Finally, for a bit of crunch, crispy noodles are a great option. These golden, crunchy noodles are easy to make and provide a delicious contrast to the softer sesame chicken. You can also top your noodles with a variety of seasonings or sauces for an extra bit of flavor.
No matter which sides you choose to serve with your homemade sesame chicken, you can be sure that each dish will be a delicious addition to the meal. With a variety of flavors and textures to choose from, you can find the perfect accompaniments to make your sesame chicken dish truly sensational.