Oh boy, am I excited to share this amazing recipe with you! I recently had the pleasure of tasting Hawaiian Hush Puppies for the first time, and let me tell you, they are out of this world! The combination of sweet pineapple, crunchy macadamia nuts, and creamy coconut makes this an irresistible treat that I just can’t get enough of. I’m sure you’ll love them too, so let’s get started!
Hawaiian Hush Puppies Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup diced ham
- ½ cup diced bell pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Let’s start making Hawaiian Hush Puppies! Gather your ingredients: 2 cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup cornmeal, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, lightly beaten, 1 cup pineapple juice, 2 tablespoons butter, melted, ½ cup diced ham, ½ cup diced bell pepper, ½ cup diced onion, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and vegetable oil for frying.
- In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, pineapple juice, and melted butter.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the diced ham, bell pepper, onion, and cheddar cheese.
- Heat a few inches of vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large pot to 375°F.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to drop rounded spoonfuls of the hush puppy batter into the hot oil. Fry for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the hush puppies from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Let the hush puppies cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 303 kcal
- Total Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 79 mg
- Sodium: 567 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 31 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 10 g
What is the history of hawaiian hush puppies?
Hawaiian hush puppies have been around for a long time! The exact origins of the dish are a bit of a mystery, but it’s believed to have been created in the early 1900s when Chinese immigrants began to arrive in Hawaii. The dish was born out of necessity, as they needed a quick and affordable meal. The traditional Hawaiian hush puppy is a simple mix of mochi rice flour, water, and a few other ingredients, fried in oil. The result is a deep-fried treat that is crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
The dish has since become a staple of Hawaiian cuisine, with variations popping up all over the islands. For example, the popular Okinawan version consists of pork, shrimp, and other ingredients, while the Hawaiian version is made with a base of mochi rice flour.
Today, Hawaiian hush puppies are a popular snack in Hawaii and can be found at many restaurants and street vendors. They are also a popular item to bring to parties and celebrations, and can be enjoyed with a variety of dipping sauces.
So if you’re looking for a tasty treat that has a rich history, Hawaiian hush puppies are a great option.
What are the main ingredients used in hawaiian hush puppies?
Hawaiian hush puppies are one of the most delicious dishes you can find in Hawaii! The main ingredients used in this tasty treat are sweet potatoes, shredded coconut, and banana. These three ingredients come together to create a unique and flavorful snack.
Sweet potatoes are the star of the dish, providing the bulk of the flavor and texture. They are mashed and then mixed together with the other ingredients, making them the perfect base for the hush puppies. The shredded coconut adds a nice nutty flavor while the banana adds sweetness and helps to bind the ingredients together.
These ingredients are then formed into small patties which are then fried in hot oil. The result is a crunchy and delicious snack that can be enjoyed as a side dish or even as a main course.
What flavors are characteristic of hawaiian hush puppies?
Hawaiian hush puppies are savory fried treats that are incredibly flavorful! The classic flavors that you’ll find in Hawaiian hush puppies are garlic, onion, ginger, and a hint of sweetness from brown sugar. These ingredients combine to create a unique, balanced flavor that is uniquely Hawaiian. The addition of coconut and macadamia nuts to the hush puppies gives them an extra layer of sweetness and crunch. These flavors will transport you to the tropical islands of Hawaii, making you feel like you’re right there in paradise.
How can you make hawaiian hush puppies at home?
Yes you can! Making Hawaiian hush puppies at home is easier than you think. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch of these delicious treats in no time. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- cup of all-purpose flour
- teaspoon of baking powder
- /2 teaspoon of salt
- /2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- /4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- /4 cup of sugar
- /4 cup of vegetable oil
- /2 cup of cold water
- /2 cup of finely chopped macadamia nuts
Once you have all your ingredients ready, it’s time to get cooking! Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then stirring in the oil and water until the mixture is smooth. Then, add in the macadamia nuts and stir until everything is well blended.
Next, heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Drop about a tablespoon of the batter onto the skillet for each hush puppy and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Once cooked, remove from heat and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Are there any variations of hawaiian hush puppies?
Yes! Hawaiian hush puppies are a delicious snack and there are some amazing variations you can try. From savory flavors like bacon and cheese to sweet treats like pineapple and coconut, you can mix up your hush puppies to create unique and delicious flavors. Let’s take a look at some of the different variations you can try.
If you’re looking for a savory twist on the traditional Hawaiian hush puppy, try adding bacon and cheese. Start by adding a generous helping of crispy bacon and some grated cheese to your hush puppy batter. You can also add some diced onions or jalapeño peppers for an extra kick. Once you’ve mixed all the ingredients together, fry up your hush puppies in a skillet or deep fryer. The result will be a delicious snack with a savory flavor that’s sure to be a hit.
For a sweet variation, try adding pineapple and coconut. Start by adding some diced pineapple and shredded coconut to the hush puppy batter. This will give the hush puppies a tropical flavor that’s sure to be a hit. You can also add some cinnamon and nutmeg for a bit of warmth. Fry up the hush puppies in a skillet or deep fryer, and enjoy a sweet and delicious snack.
No matter which variation you choose, Hawaiian hush puppies are sure to be a hit. With a variety of savory and sweet flavors, you’re sure to find a recipe you love.
What are some interesting ways to serve hawaiian hush puppies?
If you’re looking for some creative and delicious ways to serve Hawaiian hush puppies, you’ve come to the right place! Hawaiian hush puppies are a wonderful treat that are both tasty and easy to make. There are a variety of interesting and delicious ways to serve them. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Hawaiian Hush Puppies with Pineapple Salsa – For a tropical twist, serve your Hawaiian hush puppies with a homemade pineapple salsa. Simply mix together diced pineapple, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Serve it with the hush puppies for a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors.
- Sweet and Spicy Hawaiian Hush Puppies – For a sweet and spicy twist, try serving your Hawaiian hush puppies with a honey-sriracha dip. Simply mix together honey, sriracha, lime juice and salt. Serve it with the hush puppies for a delicious combination of sweet and spicy flavors.
- Hawaiian Hush Puppies with Avocado Crema – For a creamy, flavorful dip, serve your Hawaiian hush puppies with a homemade avocado crema. Simply blend together Greek yogurt, avocado, lime juice, garlic and salt. Serve it with the hush puppies for a delicious combination of creamy and zesty flavors.
No matter which way you choose to serve your Hawaiian hush puppies, you’re sure to have a delicious and unique snack that will please everyone.
What are some creative garnishes and toppings to add to hawaiian hush puppies?
Adding some creative garnishes and toppings to Hawaiian hush puppies can take them to the next level! These tasty little treats are already delicious on their own, but with a few simple additions, they can become an even more flavorful and enjoyable experience. Here are some ideas for creative garnishes and toppings to add to Hawaiian hush puppies:
- Mango salsa: This zesty and sweet salsa is a great accompaniment to Hawaiian hush puppies and adds a tropical flavor to the dish.
- Pineapple sauce: This delicious sauce is made by blending together pineapple, sugar, and butter and can be served as a topping for Hawaiian hush puppies.
- Coconut flakes: Toasted coconut flakes are a great garnish for Hawaiian hush puppies and add a nutty flavor that complements the dish perfectly.
- Macadamia nuts: Crushed macadamia nuts are a great way to add crunch and nuttiness to Hawaiian hush puppies.
- Cilantro: Chopped fresh cilantro adds a bright, herby flavor to Hawaiian hush puppies that is sure to be a hit.
- Lime juice: Squeezing some fresh lime juice over Hawaiian hush puppies before serving adds a zingy flavor and brightens up the dish.