Layered With Love: Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas
I love Mexican food, so when I discovered Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas, I knew I had to give it a try. The combination of green chile sauce, cheese, and corn tortillas is the perfect balance of flavor and texture. I had no idea how delicious this dish would be, but one bite and I was hooked. Every time I make them, the combination of zesty chiles, creamy cheese, and crispy tortillas is pure heaven! I’m sure you’ll love them as much as I do.
Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, and diced green chiles and cook for another minute.
- Add the salt and cooked chicken and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Top with 4 of the tortillas.
- Spread 1/2 of the remaining chicken mixture over the tortillas. Top with 1/2 of the remaining cheese.
- Top with 4 more tortillas and spread 1/3 of the remaining chicken mixture.
- Top with the remaining cheese and 4 more tortillas.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, top with the fresh cilantro, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream. Enjoy!
- Calories: 578
- Total Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 726mg
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 33g
What are the key ingredients in green chile stacked enchiladas?
The key ingredients in green chile stacked enchiladas are corn tortillas, cheese, green chile sauce, and a variety of additional fillings such as beans, chicken, and beef.
Green chile stacked enchiladas are a classic Mexican dish that consists of layers of corn tortillas, cheese, and green chile sauce. The green chile sauce can be prepared with a variety of different ingredients including jalapenos, tomatillos, garlic, and onions. The enchiladas can be filled with a variety of ingredients such as beans, chicken, beef, and even vegetables.
When preparing green chile stacked enchiladas, it is important to start with the sauce. To make the sauce, you will need to saute the jalapenos, tomatillos, garlic, and onions in a pan until everything is soft and fragrant. Then add the remaining ingredients such as green chiles, broth, and cilantro. Simmer the sauce and season it to taste.
Once the sauce is prepared, it is time to assemble the enchiladas. Start by heating a skillet on medium-high heat and lightly oiling it. Place a corn tortilla in the skillet and heat it until it is slightly crispy. Spread a layer of green chile sauce on top of the tortilla and then add a layer of cheese. Add the desired filling and top with another layer of cheese. Then top with a second tortilla and repeat the process until all of the tortillas are used.
Once the enchiladas are assembled, heat them in the oven until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy. Serve the green chile stacked enchiladas with extra green chile sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.
How long does it take to make green chile stacked enchiladas?
It typically takes about 40 minutes to make a batch of green chile stacked enchiladas. This includes time for prepping the ingredients, assembling the enchiladas, and baking them.
Green chile stacked enchiladas are a delicious, savory dish made with layers of corn tortillas, cheese, and green chile. To make them, begin by prepping the ingredients. You will need canned green chiles, shredded cheese, cooking oil, onion, garlic, and ground beef. Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion and garlic until they are golden. Then add the ground beef and cook until it is browned. Next, add the green chiles to the skillet and simmer until all the ingredients are combined.
Once the ingredients are prepped, it’s time to assemble the enchiladas. Take a 9×13-inch baking dish and spread a thin layer of oil across the bottom. Place a single layer of corn tortillas in the bottom of the dish. Evenly distribute the meat and green chile mixture over the tortillas and top with a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat the layering process, ending with a layer of cheese on top.
Finally, bake the enchiladas in a 350-degree oven for around 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow the enchiladas to cool slightly before serving.
What are the health benefits of green chile stacked enchiladas?
Green chile stacked enchiladas are a healthy and nutritious meal option with a variety of health benefits.
The health benefits of green chile stacked enchiladas include:
- High in protein: Green chile stacked enchiladas are a great source of protein, which helps to build and repair cells and tissues in the body.
- Low in saturated fat: This type of enchilada is lower in saturated fat than other types of enchiladas, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- High in vitamins and minerals: Green chiles are rich in vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron.
- High in fiber: Green chiles are a good source of dietary fiber, which helps keep the digestive system functioning properly.
- Low in calories: Green chile stacked enchiladas are a low-calorie meal option, making them an ideal choice for those trying to lose weight.
- Low in sodium: Green chiles are naturally low in sodium, which is important for maintaining a healthy blood pressure.
In addition to the health benefits, green chile stacked enchiladas are a delicious and flavorful meal option that can be enjoyed by the whole family. With their unique combination of proteins, vitamins, and minerals, green chile stacked enchiladas are a nutritious and tasty meal option that can be enjoyed any day of the week.
What makes green chile stacked enchiladas unique?
Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas are a unique take on the traditional enchilada dish. They are made by layering corn tortillas, cheese, and a flavorful green chile sauce, and then baking them until they’re golden and bubbly. The end result is an ooey-gooey, cheesy masterpiece that’s packed with flavor.
The main difference between Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas and regular enchiladas is the lack of filling. Instead of stuffing the enchiladas with ground beef, chicken, or beans, the layers of cheese and green chile sauce are enough to make them incredibly flavorful. This makes them perfect for those who prefer lighter dishes, or for vegetarians.
Another unique aspect of Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas is the use of green chile sauce. Typically, enchiladas are topped with red chile sauce, but green chile sauce adds a more complex, earthy flavor. It can be made from either fresh or canned chiles, and is usually made with a combination of tomatillos, onions, garlic, and spices.
Finally, Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas are easy to make and can be customized with your favorite topping or filling. They can be served as an entrée, a side dish, or even as a snack. There’s no wrong way to enjoy them!
In conclusion, Green Chile Stacked Enchiladas are a unique twist on the traditional enchilada dish. They’re made by layering corn tortillas, cheese, and a flavorful green chile sauce, and then baking them until they’re golden and bubbly. The lack of filling, the use of green chile sauce, and the ability to customize them with favorite toppings or fillings make them an incredibly flavorful and versatile dish.
What are some creative ways to customize green chile stacked enchiladas?
When it comes to green chile stacked enchiladas, there are many creative ways to customize them. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Spice it up: Add more of your favorite chili peppers or chili powders to the enchilada sauce for an extra kick. You can also top the enchiladas with jalapeños, cayenne pepper, and other hot spices for a spicier dish.
- Add some crunch: Add crunchy toppings such as crispy tortilla strips, crushed tortilla chips, and/or crushed corn chips.
- Make it cheesy: To get your cheesy fix, top the enchiladas with a combination of shredded cheese, queso fresco, or crumbled chorizo.
- Go vegetarian: Add a variety of vegetables such as zucchini, mushrooms, and bell peppers.
- Get creative with the filling: Fill the enchiladas with pulled pork, ground beef, or chicken for a hearty meal.
- Stuff it with seafood: Crab meat, shrimp, and/or scallops make for a delicious seafood version of green chile stacked enchiladas.
- Make it Mexican: Add Mexican-inspired toppings such as guacamole, pico de gallo, and cilantro.
These are just a few of the many creative ways to customize your green chile stacked enchiladas.
How can green chile stacked enchiladas fit into a balanced diet?
Green chile stacked enchiladas can fit into a balanced diet if the individual preparing them takes steps to ensure that the dish is prepared in a healthy way. By making some simple substitutions and adding in some healthy sides, green chile stacked enchiladas can be a delicious and nutritious meal.
For starters, making the enchilada sauce from scratch is a healthier alternative to using store bought sauces, as homemade sauces typically contain fewer preservatives and additives. Additionally, using lean proteins such as chicken or turkey, and reducing the amount of cheese used can also help to reduce the calorie count of the dish.
To further increase the nutritional value of green chile stacked enchiladas, adding in vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes can help to increase the nutritional content of the meal. For added fiber, replacing some or all of the white rice with brown rice can also help. Additionally, increasing the amount of sauce in each enchilada will help to add moisture to the dish while also providing a flavorful punch.
To complete the meal, adding some healthy sides such as a side salad, roasted vegetables, or a bowl of soup can help to round out the meal and ensure that it contains all of the essential nutrients that a balanced diet requires.
With a few simple modifications, green chile stacked enchiladas can easily fit into a balanced diet. By controlling the ingredients used, adding in some healthy sides, and increasing the amount of sauce, anyone can enjoy this delicious dish while still maintaining a healthy and nutritious diet.