Delicious Homemade French Baguette Recipe
I love the smell of freshly baked French baguettes! I have been baking them for years and I absolutely love the crunchy crust and soft, fluffy center that this classic French bread offers. Making French baguettes is my favorite way to enjoy a comforting homemade meal. There’s nothing like the smell of a homemade French baguette wafting through the house! I’m excited to share my go-to recipe for making the perfect French baguettes.
French Baguette Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- Gather all your ingredients: 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon active dry yeast, and 1½ cups warm water.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir until combined.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it sit for about 25 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two and shape them into baguettes.
- Place them on a greased baking sheet and let it sit for another 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- When done, take the baguettes out of the oven and let them cool before serving.
- Enjoy your freshly baked French baguettes!
- Calories: 1100
- Total Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 1970 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 224 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9 g
- Sugars: 0 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 6%
- Iron: 61%
What is a french baguette and what makes it so special?
If you’re an avid eater of bread, you’ve probably heard of the famous French baguette. A French baguette is a long, thin loaf of bread that originated in France. But what makes it so special?
The French baguette is known for its crunchy crust and soft, airy center. It’s usually made with just flour, water, yeast, and salt. This simple combination of ingredients allows the flavor of the flour to really shine.
Aside from its delicious flavor, the French baguette is also known for its versatility. It can be eaten as-is, used to make sandwiches, or even sliced and toasted. It’s also easy to store in the freezer, so you can always have a fresh baguette on hand.
What really sets the French baguette apart is its unique shape. The traditional baguette is about a foot long, and as thin as a pencil. This shape is what gives it its iconic crunchy crust.
So, what makes the French baguette so special? It’s a combination of its simple yet delicious flavor, its versatility, and its unique shape. Whether you’re eating it as-is, making sandwiches, or toasting it up, a French baguette is always a delicious choice.
What are the classic ingredients used to make a french baguette?
When it comes to baking a classic French baguette, you’ll need just four ingredients: all-purpose flour, water, salt, and yeast. While these are the only essential ingredients you’ll need to get the job done, you can also add a bit of olive oil to the mix to give it a more flavorful and complex taste.
When it comes to the flour, you’ll want to use unbleached all-purpose flour with a protein level of 10 to 12 percent. This type of flour is higher in protein, giving the dough more structure and elasticity, which will help it hold its shape as it rises.
For the water, you’ll want to use a lukewarm temperature, about 95 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help to activate the yeast, which will give the bread its signature flavor and texture. For the salt, use a high-quality sea salt or kosher salt. This will add flavor and balance to the bread.
And, lastly, you’ll need to use active dry yeast. This type of yeast is designed to be mixed with water and flour. You’ll want to make sure that the yeast is still active by mixing it with a bit of water prior to adding it to the mixture.
With these four classic ingredients, you’ll be able to bake a delicious French baguette in no time. The key is to use the right ingredients and follow the directions carefully to ensure that the bread turns out just right.
How do you properly store a french baguette?
Storing a French baguette is easy! Here are a few tips to help you enjoy its beautiful crusty exterior and soft, chewy center:
- Wrap it in a clean kitchen towel: This will help keep the baguette soft and also absorbs any condensation when storing it.
- Don’t store in the fridge: It’s best to store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Use within one day: French baguettes are best eaten within one day of being bought, so make sure you eat it quickly!.
- To revive a stale baguette, heat it in the oven: If you’ve left it too long, wrap it in foil and heat for 10-15 minutes in a hot oven.
What are some interesting tips and tricks for making the perfect french baguette?
If you’re looking to make a delicious and authentic French baguette, then you’re in the right place! Here are some expert tips and tricks that will help you make a perfect French baguette:
- Start by using the best ingredients you can find. High-quality flour, good quality yeast, and filtered water are all essential for creating a delicious and fluffy baguette.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, then let it rest for at least two hours before shaping it. This will help create a light and fluffy baguette.
- When shaping the baguettes, use your hands and not a rolling pin. This will help give the baguette its characteristic shape.
- Make sure your oven is hot – around 500°F (260°C) – when baking the baguettes. This will help give the baguettes their crunchy crust.
- Brush the baguettes with a little bit of water before baking them. This will give them their characteristic golden-brown color.
- Let the baguettes cool down completely before slicing them. This will help them stay fluffy and delicious.
What are some creative variations of the french baguette?
If you’re looking for a delicious and creative twist on the classic French Baguette, you’re in luck! There are plenty of tasty, creative variations that you can make at home with simple ingredients. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Cheese and Chive Baguette: For a savory twist on the classic baguette, try adding shredded cheese and chopped chives. Simply spread the cheese and chives on the baguette slices before baking, and you’ll have a flavorful, cheesy snack.
- Onion and Garlic Baguette: If you love the flavors of garlic and onion, this variation of the French baguette is for you. Sauté the onions and garlic in butter until softened, and spread the mixture over the baguette slices before baking.
- Olive and Herb Baguette: For a Mediterranean-style baguette, try adding olives and herbs to the mix. Simply mix the olives and herbs together, spread the mixture over the baguette slices before baking, and you’ll have a flavorful, aromatic snack.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Baguette: For a flavorful, Italian-style baguette, try adding sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil. Simply mix the tomatoes and basil together, spread the mixture over the baguette slices before baking, and you’ll have a tasty treat.
These are just a few creative twists on the classic French Baguette.
What are some unique ways to enjoy a french baguette?
You don’t have to stick to the traditional way to enjoy a French baguette. There are lots of creative and delicious ways to enjoy this classic French staple. Here are some of the most unique and delicious ways to enjoy a French baguette:
- French Baguette Pizza: Swap out the regular pizza crust for a French baguette instead. Top with your favorite sauce, cheese and toppings, and enjoy a unique twist on regular pizza.
- French Baguette Grilled Cheese: Spread the inside of the baguette with butter, top with your favorite cheese and grill until golden and gooey.
- French Baguette Sandwiches: Layer your favorite sandwich ingredients between two slices of French baguette for an epic panini.
- French Baguette French Toast: Dip the French baguette in an egg, milk and cinnamon mixture and fry until golden. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- French Baguette Croutons: Cut the French baguette into cubes, toss with olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and bake. Top your favorite salads and soups with these flavorful croutons.
No matter how you choose to enjoy your French baguette, you’re sure to have a unique and delicious experience.