Ermine Icing Recipe – Easy, Delicious And Versatile Frosting
I can hardly believe how creamy and delicious this Ermine Icing is! The secret to its smooth texture is the cooked flour and milk mixture that is folded into the butter and sugar. This icing is so incredibly versatile and can be used to top cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and more. Every time I make it, I get a ton of compliments and requests for the recipe. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll never go back to store-bought icing again!
Ermine Icing Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- Start by gathering all your ingredients and prepping your supplies. You will need 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1 egg yolk.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir until combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and stir until everything is combined.
- Add the sugar and salt to the mixture and stir until dissolved.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk for about 2 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla extract and egg yolk. Whisk to combine.
- Allow the mixture to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, use the mixture to frost your cake or cupcakes! Enjoy your delicious Ermine Icing!
- Calories: 182
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Sodium: 187mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 17.5g
- Protein: 3.5g
What is ermine icing?
You’ve likely heard of traditional buttercream and cream cheese frostings, but have you heard of ermine icing? Ermine icing is a classic, old-fashioned frosting that has a light, fluffy texture and is slightly sweet. It’s made with ingredients you likely already have in the kitchen, and it’s simple to make. Its slightly sweet flavor and lightness make it the perfect compliment to richly-flavored cakes or cupcakes.
The key to ermine icing is whisking together a cooked roux and milk, then gradually adding it to soft butter and sugar. The roux is cooked on the stove until it’s thick and creamy and then cooled to room temperature. The cooked roux is then combined with the softened butter and sugar while being continuously whisked until it’s light and fluffy. It takes a little bit of patience and muscle power, but it’s totally worth it in the end.
Ermine icing can be flavored with a variety of extracts like vanilla, almond, or lemon and it can also be colored with food coloring for a custom look. It’s the perfect icing for a special occasion cake or cupcakes, as it looks and tastes amazing without being overly sweet. Give it a try and you’ll be sure to impress your guests with this classic, old-fashioned frosting.
What are the benefits of using ermine icing?
Ermine icing is a classic, creamy and light icing that is perfect for special occasion cakes. It is easy to make and can be used to create smooth and beautiful frostings with a glossy finish.
- Ermine icing has a rich, buttery texture and a subtle sweetness that is not too overpowering. It is not overly sweet like some other icings, which makes it a great choice for cakes that you want to keep light and fluffy.
- Ermine icing also has a nice, glossy finish that is perfect for special events such as weddings or birthdays. The glossy finish will make your cake look elegant and professional.
- Ermine icing is also very versatile and can be used to create a variety of different styles. It can be used for intricate designs, for piping, for smooth, buttery frosting, and for decorating.
- Finally, ermine icing is a great choice for those who are looking for an easy way to create stunning cakes. It is easy to make and use and doesn’t require any special skills or tools.
What are some tips for making ermine icing?
Start with room-temperature butter and granulated sugar. Beat them together until they form a smooth and creamy paste.
- Separately, heat milk and flour together in a saucepan until it forms a thick paste. Let it cool before adding it to the butter-sugar paste.
- Once the milk and flour paste is cool, add it to the butter-sugar paste, and beat until they’re combined.
- Keep beating until the mixture has a fluffy and light texture. If it’s too thick, add a splash of milk.
- To sweeten your icing, add powdered sugar to taste.
- If you’d like to give your icing a unique flavor, try adding a pinch of vanilla extract, lemon juice, or almond extract for a unique twist.
- Finally, to give the icing a beautiful finish, add a few drops of cream or milk and beat until light and fluffy.
What makes ermine icing special?
Ermine icing is special because it is incredibly creamy, light, and fluffy. It’s much smoother and more luxurious than traditional buttercream frostings, making it a popular choice for cakes. Ermine icing is made with flour, sugar, butter, and whole milk, which together create a heavenly texture. It’s surprisingly easy to make, too—you just have to whisk together the ingredients in the right order! Plus, it’s a great choice for those who are looking to cut down on sugar, since ermine icing contains less sugar than traditional buttercream. Its unique flavor and texture make it an ideal topping for any special occasion or celebration cake.
What are some ways to use ermine icing?
You can use ermine icing to make delicious and fluffy frostings for your cakes, cookies, and cupcakes. It’s a classic frosting that has a light and airy texture, making it perfect for creating smooth and creamy frosting. Ermine icing is also versatile and can be used to make different types of icing designs. Here are some of the most popular ways to use ermine icing:
- Piped Flowers: Ermine icing can be used to make beautiful and delicate piped flowers, like roses, daisies, and tulips. You can use a pastry bag and different tips to create a variety of flower designs.
- Ruffles: Ermine icing can be used to make ruffles that look like real fabric. Start by piping a line of icing and then using a spatula to pull the icing towards you for a ruffled effect.
- Swirls: Ermine icing can also be used to create swirls and other patterns. You can use a pastry bag with a star tip to pipe the icing onto your cake, cupcake, or cookie.
- Drop Flowers: Drop flowers are a fun way to decorate cupcakes and cakes. Start by creating a circle of icing and then use a spoon to scoop the circle and drop it onto the cake or cupcake.
Ermine icing is a classic and versatile icing that can be used to make beautiful and delicious frostings. Whether you’re creating piped flowers, ruffles, swirls, or drop flowers, you can be sure that your cakes, cookies, and cupcakes will look and taste amazing with ermine icing.
What are some creative ideas for decorating with ermine icing?
If you’re looking to add a unique touch to your cakes and desserts, ermine icing is a great choice! It’s a classic, yet versatile, icing that can help you create a beautiful masterpiece. Here are some creative ideas for decorating with ermine icing that will make your desserts stand out from the rest:
- Get creative with color! Ermine icing can be colored with food dye, so why not go for a bold and vibrant look? Try combining different colors together to create a unique design.
- Create a special design. Try using a star tip to make an intricate design on the top of the cake or cupcakes. You can also make swirls and shapes to give your dessert an extra bit of flair.
- Add a bit of texture. Sprinkle crushed candy, nuts, or sprinkles onto the ermine icing before it sets. This will create a unique texture that is sure to be a hit.
- Make a unique border. Use a star tip to make a border around the top of your cake or cupcakes. This simple step can add a lot of visual interest to your desserts.
- Get creative with flavors. Try combining different flavors of ermine icing together to create a unique flavor profile. Vanilla and chocolate, raspberry and lemon, or peanut butter and jelly are just a few of the possibilities.
No matter how you choose to decorate with ermine icing, it’s sure to be the star of the show. With a little bit of creativity and imagination, you can create a stunning dessert that will wow your guests.