Homemade Empanada Pie – A Deliciously Decadent Treat
I’m a big fan of savory pies, and my favorite has to be Empanada Pie. It’s a delicious combination of ground beef, chorizo, and raisins, all enveloped in a flaky, golden-brown crust. I always look forward to making this dish because it’s so tasty and easy to make. Plus, it’s a great way to feed a crowd since it serves up to 12 people. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do!
Empanada Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Hey there! Get ready to make a delicious Empanada Pie! Here are the instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup white sugar, 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Use a fork or your hands to mix until it becomes a crumbly texture.
- Add 1/2 cup cold water and mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle. Place the dough onto a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 peeled, cored, and diced apples, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, and 1/4 cup golden raisins.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the nutmeg-ginger-vanilla mixture over the top of the pie.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- And there you have it – a delicious Empanada Pie! Enjoy!
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 20g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 250mg
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 15g
- Protein: 3g
What is an empanada pie and why is it so special?
An empanada pie is a delicious and unique pastry that originates from Spain. It is made with a crust and filling, which can be savory or sweet. This delectable treat has been enjoyed for centuries and is often seen at festivals, family gatherings, and other special occasions.
The main ingredient of an empanada pie is a dough made from flour, butter, and eggs. The dough is then rolled out and cut into circles, which are filled with a variety of ingredients such as beef, pork, chicken, or vegetables. The pies are then baked or fried until golden brown.
The distinct flavor of an empanada pie comes from the combination of the dough and filling. The crust has a delicious buttery flavor and the filling is usually spiced with herbs and spices like cumin, garlic, and paprika. This unique combination of flavors makes empanada pies a tasty and irresistible snack.
Empanada pies are not only delicious but they are also incredibly versatile. The dough and filling can be easily customized to suit the individual’s preference. This means that the pies can be served as an appetizer, snack, or even as a main course.
Overall, an empanada pie is a delicious pastry with a unique flavor that is sure to tantalize the taste buds. It is a versatile treat that can be served as a snack or a main course, making it perfect for any occasion.
What are the key ingredients used to make an empanada pie?
When it comes to making an empanada pie, there are a few key ingredients that you need to have on hand. These ingredients are key to creating a delicious, flaky and flavorful pie. The main ingredients you need are puff pastry dough, ground beef, onion, garlic, tomato, cumin, paprika, and salt.
To begin, you need to preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your puff pastry dough according to the instructions on the package. While the dough is preheating, you can begin to prepare the filling.
In a large skillet, brown your ground beef, onion, and garlic. Once the beef is cooked through, add in the tomato, cumin, paprika, and salt and mix together. Allow the mixture to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the mixture is cooked through, set it aside.
Once the dough is ready, roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into circles, about 6 inches in diameter. Place the circles onto a greased baking sheet. Place a spoonful of the beef mixture in the center of each circle and fold the sides up to form a triangle shape. Use a fork to press the edges together.
Bake the empanadas in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown and flaky. Serve warm and enjoy!
These key ingredients are all you need to make an empanada pie that is sure to impress.
How do you make an empanada pie from scratch?
Making an empanada pie from scratch doesn’t have to be intimidating! With a few simple recipes and some practice, you can make this delicious and classic dish in no time. Here’s how to do it:
- Prepare the pastry: Begin by making a basic, flaky pastry dough. You can find recipes online or in cookbooks that will guide you through the process. Once the dough is prepared, set it aside and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Assemble the filling: While the dough rests, prepare the filling. Traditionally, empanada pies are filled with a combination of ground beef, onions, and spices. However, you can adjust the filling to your own preferences and dietary needs.
- Shape the empanadas: Once the filling is ready, roll out the pastry and cut it into small circles. Place the filling in the center of each circle and then fold the dough in half, pressing the edges to seal.
- Bake the empanadas: Place the empanadas on a baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven until they are golden and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy! Let the empanadas cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with a side of salsa, sour cream, or guacamole for an added kick of flavor.
Making an empanada pie from scratch is easier than you think! With a little practice and patience, you can enjoy this delicious dish any time.
What are some tips and tricks to make the perfect empanada pie?
Start with a good pastry dough. The key to a great empanada pie is a good pastry dough. For an easy and tasty dough that won’t break, mix equal parts of all-purpose flour, butter, and lard. Knead the dough until it is soft and pliable.
- Choose your filling. Empanada pies can be filled with just about anything you can imagine, from meats and cheeses to fruits and vegetables. Choose a filling that you know your family will love.
- Pre-cook the filling. Pre-cook the filling before putting it in the empanada pie. This will make sure that the filling is cooked all the way through when the empanada pie is finished baking.
- Roll out the dough. Roll out the dough into a circle that is slightly larger than the size of your pie plate. Place the dough in the plate, and then fill it with your pre-cooked filling.
- Seal the edges. To seal the edges of the empanada pie, use the tines of a fork to press down firmly around the edges. This will help to keep the filling inside.
- Bake. Bake your empanada pie in a preheated oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Allow the empanada pie to cool before eating.
What type of filling can you use for an empanada pie?
When it comes to empanada pie, the filling options are practically endless! Whether you’re looking for something vegetarian-friendly, something more traditional, or something unique, you can find the perfect filling for your empanada pie. Some of the most popular filling options include shredded pork, chorizo, ground beef, chicken, cheese, onions, potatoes, and garlic. Not only are these fillings delicious, but they’re also easy to prepare and make a great addition to any meal. For a vegetarian-friendly option, you can fill your empanada pie with a combination of black beans, corn, peppers, and onions. If you’re looking for something more traditional, you can go for a beef and cheese filling, or if you’re feeling adventurous, you can try something new like an apple and cinnamon filling. Whatever you choose, your empanada pie will be sure to bring smiles to your table.
What occasions is an empanada pie a great dish to serve?
An empanada pie is a great dish to serve for any special occasion! Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, throwing a backyard BBQ, or celebrating a birthday, an empanada pie is the perfect way to delight your guests. Not only is it delicious and easy to prepare, but it’s also a great way to bring some international flair to the table!
This traditional Latin American dish can be made with a variety of fillings, from savory to sweet. The most popular empanada filling is usually beef, but you can also use chicken, pork, chorizo, and even vegetarian fillings. For a sweeter version, you can fill your empanadas with diced apples, raisins, and brown sugar. Serve them with a side of your favorite salsa and you’ll have an unforgettable meal!
No matter the occasion, an empanada pie is sure to be a hit! It’s a great way to add some flair to your menu, and your guests will be sure to love it. Plus, it’s easy to make, so you’ll have more time to spend enjoying the party.