These tender cookies are a delightful treat any time of year. The sweet date filling is sandwiched between layers of rich, nutty dough, and the cookies are rolled into pinwheels for a festive presentation. These cookies will be a hit at your next holiday party or family gathering!
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1//2 cup white sugar packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 eggs, beaten well vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Chop pitted dates in food chopper. Place dates into small saucepan and add 1/4 cup sugar, dash of salt, and 1 1/4 cups of water. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is of a soft consistency. Remove from heat.
3. Add grated lemon rind, lemon juice, and chopped nuts then mix well and chill the mixture before proceeding.
4. Cream together 3/4 cup butter and gradually add 1/2 cup white sugar and 1cup packed brown sugar while beating well after each addition until light and fluffy..
5a) In a separate bowl whisk 2 eggs until thick then add it to the creamed mixture part at a time while mixing thoroughly after each addition
5b) Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract afterwards
6. Measure into a sifter 3 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder,1/4 teaspoon baking soda,and 3/4 teaspoon of salt then sift together twice
7a)Sift dry ingredients into the creamed mixture about ¼ at a time combining thoroughly after each gradual incorporation
7b) Once all of the ingredients are combined , cover dough with
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Sodium: 170 mg
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 16 g Protein 2g
How many calories are in a date pinwheel cookie?
A date pinwheel cookie typically contains around 67 calories. However, the exact amount of calories in a particular cookie may vary depending on the recipe and ingredients used. For example, if a recipe calls for more sugar or butter, the resulting cookie will likely be higher in calories.
When it comes to counting calories, it’s important to remember that not all calories are created equal. A calorie from a healthy whole grain is going to be different than a calorie from processed sugar. So, while 67 calories might not seem like much, it’s important to consider what those calories are coming from. If you’re trying to watch your weight or eat healthier, opting for a date pinwheel cookie made with whole wheat flour and natural sugars is probably a better choice than one made with white flour and refined sugars.
How to roll out date Pinwheel cookies?
In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a large saucepan, bring the dates, sugar and water to a boil. On a baking sheet, roll out each portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper into a 12×9-in. Remove waxed paper; spread with date mixture. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in.
How many calories are in a chocolate pinwheel?
A chocolate pinwheel is a popular dessert that can be found in many bakeries and restaurants. It typically contains 120 calories, with 45 of those coming from fat. This means that a chocolate pinwheel has a moderate amount of calories and fat, making it a good choice for those looking to enjoy a treat without overindulging.
How much sugar is in a pinwheel?
A pinwheel has 13 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of sugar. The amount of sugar in a pinwheel is therefore 15% sugar by weight.
How long to bake date pinwheel cookies?
To make date pinwheel cookies, you will need to preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Next, use a sharp knife to slice 1/4 inch thick slices off of rolls and place them on greased cookie sheets. Bake the cookies for 10 – 13 minutes.