I love a warm scone with a cup of tea in the morning and these cranberry-orange scones have quickly become my favorite. They are so fragrant and delicious, with just the right amount of sweetness. I love the combination of tart cranberries and tangy oranges, and the texture of these scones is simply divine. Plus, the best part is that they are easy to make and always come out perfect! If you’re looking for an indulgent breakfast treat, these cranberry-orange scones will definitely hit the spot.
Cranberry-Orange Scones Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes and add to the dry ingredients. Use your hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles a course meal.
- Add the dried cranberries to the mixture and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the orange juice, orange zest, and heavy cream.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until they are just combined. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a round disc. Cut the disc into 8 wedges and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the scones for 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let the scones cool for about 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy your Cranberry-Orange Scones!
- Calories: 281, Fat: 11.4g, Carbohydrates: 38.5g, Protein: 3.4g, Cholesterol: 24mg, Sodium: 238mg, Fiber: 1.9g
What makes cranberry-orange scones unique from other breakfast pastries?
Cranberry-Orange Scones are truly unique from other breakfast pastries! With a combination of tart cranberries, zesty orange zest, and just the right amount of sweetness, these scones offer a delicious and refreshing treat. The combination of the tart cranberries and zesty orange zest pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the scones, creating an irresistible flavor that will have your taste buds dancing. Plus, the addition of orange zest gives the scones a beautiful vibrant color that will brighten up any morning. Enjoy them alone or pair them with a cup of tea or coffee for a truly unique breakfast experience.
What flavor combinations do cranberry-orange scones offer?
Cranberry-Orange Scones offer tantalizing flavor combinations that tantalize the taste buds! Sweet and tart cranberries combine with the zesty flavor of oranges to create a delicious treat that’s perfect for breakfast or as a snack. The combination of flavors creates a light and airy scone with a hint of zest and a subtle sweetness. The tartness of the cranberries and the zest of the oranges bring a unique flavor to the scones that can’t be matched. Enjoy a warm scone with a cup of tea or coffee for a burst of flavor that will leave you wanting more.
What are the health benefits of eating cranberry-orange scones?
Eating cranberry-orange scones can have a host of health benefits!
- Cranberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C and fiber, helping to support a healthy immune system.
- Oranges are rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C, which can help to reduce inflammation and protect against disease.
- Together, the combination of cranberries and oranges can provide a boost of energy and important vitamins and minerals to help support your overall health.
- Scones also contain healthy fats, such as butter and coconut oil, which can help to reduce cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
- Eating cranberry-orange scones can also provide you with a good source of complex carbohydrates, which can help to keep you feeling full and energized.
- The combination of cranberries, oranges, and scones can offer a delicious and nutritious snack that can help you to maintain a healthy diet.
What baking tips and tricks can you use to make the perfect cranberry-orange scones?
Start with great ingredients! Make sure you use fresh cranberries and fresh orange juice for a delicious combination of flavors.
- Use cold butter for a light and flaky texture – cut it into small pieces before adding it to the dry ingredients.
- Don’t overmix the batter – just mix until the ingredients are just combined.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, then cut into desired shapes.
- Brush the scones with a beaten egg or cream before baking to give them a golden brown color.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
What are some creative ways to serve cranberry-orange scones?
Serving up cranberry-orange scones doesn’t have to be boring! There are plenty of creative ways to make your scones stand out. Here are a few ideas you can try out:
- Make the scones into a shape. Use a cookie cutter to cut the scone dough into a festive shape – stars, circles, even hearts!
- Top them with something special. Add a dollop of cream cheese frosting, a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, or a drizzle of honey.
- Add a layer of sweetness. Mix some orange marmalade with a bit of butter and spread it on top of the scones.
- Get creative with presentation. Place the scones on a platter in a star pattern, or stack them up like a tower.
- Serve with a side. Serve the scones with a cup of coffee or tea, or whip up a batch of cranberry-orange compote to go with them.
How can you adjust the recipe to make it more suitable for special diets?
If you’re looking to make this delicious Cranberry-Orange Scones recipe more suitable for special diets, then you’ve come to the right place! With a few simple tweaks, you can adjust the recipe to make it perfect for any dietary needs.
For those looking for a gluten-free version of the recipe, you’ll need to swap out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free baking flour. You can also use a gluten-free baking powder and baking soda for additional leavening.
If you’re looking for a vegan version of the recipe, you’ll need to swap out the butter for vegan butter, and the egg for a vegan egg replacement such as flaxseed or chia seed. You can also use a plant-based milk such as almond or oat milk in place of the dairy milk.
If you’re looking for a lower-sugar version of the recipe, you can reduce the amount of granulated sugar used in the recipe by half. You can also use a sugar substitute such as Stevia or monk fruit in place of the granulated sugar.
These are just a few simple ways to adjust this Cranberry-Orange Scones recipe to make it more suitable for special diets. With a few tweaks, you can make this recipe perfect for any dietary needs.
What ingredients and kitchen tools do you need to make cranberry-orange scones?
When it comes to making cranberry-orange scones, there are a few key ingredients and kitchen tools you’ll need. For the ingredients, you’ll need all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, butter, orange zest, an egg, and, of course, fresh or frozen cranberries. You’ll also need a few tools, such as a bowl to mix all the ingredients, a whisk or food processor, a baking sheet, and a baking brush.
Once you have all the necessary ingredients and kitchen tools, you can start baking the delicious scones. To begin, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into small cubes, then add it to the bowl and use a food processor or fork to mix it with the other ingredients until you have a crumbly texture.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and orange zest. Add this to the crumbly mix and stir lightly until everything is well combined. Finally, gently fold in the fresh or frozen cranberries. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a 1-inch disc and cut into wedges. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with a little milk or cream. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.