I am obsessed with quiche! But when I heard of Corn Tortilla Quiche, I was a little skeptical. After all, I couldn’t imagine transforming tortillas into something as delicious as a quiche. But I decided to take a chance and give it a try. To my surprise, it was a complete success! The crunchy texture of the tortillas, combined with the creamy and cheesy quiche filling, made for an absolutely delicious dish. I’m so glad I decided to give this recipe a try, as it has become one of my all-time favorite meals!
Corn Tortilla Quiche Recipe
Approximately 30 . mins
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9-inch pie dish with olive oil and place the 8 corn tortillas in the dish.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced red onion and minced garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the frozen corn, ground cumin, and smoked paprika and cook for another 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, 1 cup of half and half, 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Pour the egg and cheese mixture into the corn tortilla pie dish.
- Place the skillet with the cooked corn mixture on top of the egg mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the center of the quiche is set.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 416 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 236 mg
- Sodium: 488 mg
- Potassium: 272 mg
- Fiber: 5 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Vitamin A: 812 IU
- Vitamin C: 4 mg
- Calcium: 190 mg
- Iron: 2 mg
What types of ingredients can be used to make a corn tortilla quiche?
When making a corn tortilla quiche, there are a variety of ingredients that can be used to create a delicious dish. Popular ingredients include eggs, cheese, vegetables, and meats such as bacon or sausage. Eggs and cheese are usually the main ingredients, providing the bulk of the flavor. Vegetables, such as onions, bell peppers, and spinach, can add flavor and texture to the quiche. For added protein, meats like bacon and sausage can also be added. In addition, spices such as garlic, cumin, and chili powder can give the quiche an extra kick. Finally, corn tortillas can be used as the crust, adding a unique flavor and texture to the dish.
By combining these ingredients, a delicious corn tortilla quiche can be created. And with a variety of ingredients to choose from, the possibilities are nearly endless.
What are the health benefits of eating a corn tortilla quiche?
The health benefits of eating a corn tortilla quiche include:
- High fiber content – Corn tortillas are high in dietary fiber, which helps to promote healthy digestion and regularity.
- Low saturated fat content – Corn tortillas are relatively low in saturated fat compared to other types of flour tortillas, making them a healthier option.
- Low sodium content – Corn tortillas are typically lower in sodium than other flour tortillas, making them a better choice for those watching their sodium intake.
- Low cholesterol content – Corn tortillas also tend to be lower in cholesterol than other flour tortillas, making them a healthier option for those looking to reduce their cholesterol consumption.
- High vitamin content – Corn tortillas are high in vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A and niacin, which help to promote overall health.
- Low calorie content – A single corn tortilla quiche typically contains fewer calories than other quiches, making it a healthier option for those watching their calorie intake.
- High protein content – Corn tortillas are a good source of protein, which can help to maintain muscle mass and reduce hunger.
- High iron content – Corn tortillas are high in iron, which is important for healthy red blood cell production.
- Gluten-free – Corn tortillas are naturally gluten-free, making them a great choice for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances.
How can you modify a corn tortilla quiche to make it healthier?
You can make a healthier corn tortilla quiche by replacing the traditional ingredients with healthier alternatives. For example, use low-fat cheese, or try a vegetable-based cheese substitute. Replace regular eggs with egg whites or egg substitute. You can also use a combination of corn, wheat and spelt flours to make your crust instead of white flour. Additionally, adding vegetables to your quiche can increase the nutritional value and make it even healthier. Spinach, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions are all excellent additions. Finally, add some healthy fats like olive oil or avocado to your quiche for flavor and essential nutrients.
How long does a corn tortilla quiche take to prepare and cook?
A corn tortilla quiche typically takes about 45 minutes to prepare and cook.
Making a corn tortilla quiche is a delicious way to enjoy a hearty breakfast, brunch, or dinner. The dish is easy to prepare, and the ingredients are inexpensive and widely available. The quiche can be enjoyed hot out of the oven, or served cold the next day.
To make corn tortilla quiche, you will need 8-10 corn tortillas, 4 eggs, 1 cup of half and half, 1 cup of shredded cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. You will also need a 9-inch pie plate or tart pan.
First, preheat your oven to 375°F and lightly grease the pie plate or tart pan. Then, layer the corn tortillas on the bottom of the plate, folding them to fit. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the tortillas.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese and tortillas. Bake the quiche in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
Once the quiche is done, let it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
What are the different variations of a corn tortilla quiche?
There are several variations of a corn tortilla quiche. The most common type is a savory quiche that includes a corn tortilla, eggs, vegetables, cheese, and other ingredients. This type of quiche can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. Other variations of a corn tortilla quiche include a breakfast quiche with ingredients like sausage, potatoes, and cheese, as well as a sweet quiche with ingredients like fruit and sweetened condensed milk. No matter which variation you choose, a corn tortilla quiche is sure to be a hit with family and friends.