I can still remember the first time I ever tasted coffee cake. It was a chilly Sunday morning and my grandma had just pulled it out of the oven. The smell of cinnamon and sugar wafting through the house was like a warm hug. As soon as I took a bite, I knew I had experienced something truly special. This coffee cake recipe has been in my family for generations and I am excited to share it with you.
Coffee Cake Recipe
40 to 45 mins
75 to 80 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and gather all of your ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until everything is well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, melted butter, egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract until everything is smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until everything is fully combined.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the batter and gently stir them in.
- In a small bowl, combine the light brown sugar and ground cinnamon, and stir together.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan, spread it out evenly, and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy your delicious Coffee Cake!
- Calories: 441 kcal,
- Carbohydrates: 51 g,
- Protein: 5 g,
- Fat: 24 g,
- Saturated Fat: 10 g,
- Cholesterol: 59 mg,
- Sodium: 347 mg,
- Potassium: 161 mg,
- Fiber: 2 g,
- Sugar: 27 g,
- Vitamin A: 519 IU,
- Calcium: 86 mg,
- Iron: 1 mg
What is the history of coffee cake?
Coffee cake is one of those classic desserts that has been around for centuries! Its rich history dates all the way back to the late 18th century, when it began as a simple cake made with flour, butter, and sugar. It was originally served as a sweet accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee. Over time, its recipe evolved as ingredients such as eggs, nuts, spices, and dried fruits were added. Today, there are countless variations of coffee cake, including those that are topped with streusel, frosting, icing, or even a crumble-like topping.
Are there any health benefits to eating coffee cake?
Yes! Eating coffee cake can have some great health benefits. Here are a few of the best:
- Coffee cake is high in fiber, which can help you feel full for longer and support healthy digestion.
- Coffee cake is an excellent source of antioxidants, which can help protect your body from damage caused by free radicals.
- Coffee cake can help increase energy levels, as it contains caffeine and other natural stimulants.
- Eating coffee cake can help boost your mood and make you feel more positive.
- Coffee cake is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, and vitamin B.
- Coffee cake is low in fat and calories, so it’s a great snack for those watching their weight.
In short, coffee cake can be a healthy and delicious treat that can provide you with many health benefits.
What are some of the most popular flavors of coffee cake?
With so many delicious varieties of coffee cake to choose from, it can be hard to decide on a favorite! From classic cinnamon and nutmeg to unique combinations like banana and chocolate, there are plenty of mouth-watering flavors of coffee cake that are sure to satisfy your craving. Here are some of the most popular flavors of coffee cake:
- Cinnamon: A classic flavor, cinnamon adds a sweet, spicy aroma and flavor to coffee cake. This flavor is a favorite among coffee cake aficionados, as it pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee.
- Nutmeg: Another classic, nutmeg adds a warm and fragrant flavor to coffee cake. This flavor is popular for its subtle sweetness and nutty aroma.
- Chocolate: Chocolate is a popular flavor for many types of cakes, and it is no different for coffee cake. Rich and decadent, chocolate coffee cake is a favorite for those with a sweet tooth.
- Banana: Banana is a unique flavor for coffee cake, but it is surprisingly delicious. Sweet and creamy, this flavor is a great way to add a tropical twist to your morning cup of coffee.
- Vanilla: Vanilla bean is a popular choice for many types of cakes, and coffee cake is no exception. With its sweet and creamy flavor, vanilla coffee cake is a crowd-pleaser.
No matter which flavor of coffee cake you choose, you are sure to enjoy a delicious treat! Whether you opt for a classic flavor like cinnamon or try something new like banana, coffee cake is a great way to enjoy a sweet snack and a cup of coffee.
What are the key ingredients of coffee cake?
When it comes to coffee cake, there are a few key ingredients that make this beloved treat truly special and delicious. These components include all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, butter, eggs, milk, and, of course, flavorings like cinnamon and nutmeg. With these ingredients and a few simple steps, you can make a delicious and satisfying coffee cake that’s sure to be enjoyed by all.
To begin, you’ll mix together the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda – in a large bowl. Then, you’ll add in the wet ingredients – butter, eggs, milk, and your desired flavorings – and mix until the batter is smooth. Once the batter is ready, you can pour it into a greased baking pan and bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
The key to a great coffee cake is in the topping. This crunchy layer of cinnamon and sugar will give your cake the perfect finishing touch. To make the topping, mix together a few tablespoons of melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Then, spread the topping over the cake before baking to get that irresistible crunch.
Now that you know the key ingredients of coffee cake, you can make your own delicious version at home. With the right ingredients and a few simple steps, you can enjoy a tasty treat that’s sure to be a hit with family and friends.
How can coffee cake be served differently?
If you’re looking for new ways to serve up your favorite coffee cake, look no further! There are plenty of delicious and unique recipes out there that will make your coffee cake experience even more exciting. From a classic Italian-style coffee cake to a rich, creamy mocha-flavored cake, there’s something to satisfy every taste. Here are some creative ideas to get you started!
- Coffee Cake French Toast – For a special breakfast or brunch treat, try turning your coffee cake into French toast! Use two slices of your favorite coffee cake and fry them in butter until golden. Serve with a generous drizzle of maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.
- Coffee Cake Ice Cream Sandwich – With a scoop of your favorite ice cream sandwiched between two slices of coffee cake, you can make a decadent dessert that’s sure to please. For an extra special touch, drizzle the cake with melted chocolate or caramel sauce.
- Coffee Cake Trifle – Layer cubes of coffee cake with a mixture of cream, sugar, and espresso in a large glass bowl. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder. This delicious trifle is sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
- Coffee Cake Muffins – For a tasty morning snack, why not try making coffee cake muffins? Simply add some of your favorite coffee cake ingredients, such as nuts and dried fruit, to your favorite muffin batter and bake until golden. Serve with a cup of coffee or tea for a delicious treat.
There you have it – four creative and delicious ways to serve up coffee cake. With these recipes, you can enjoy a classic dessert in a whole new way.
What is the best way to store coffee cake?
The best way to store coffee cake is to keep it in an airtight container on your kitchen counter. This will help keep it fresh, moist, and delicious. It’s also important to make sure the container is away from any sources of heat, as this can cause the cake to dry out. If you do need to store your coffee cake in the refrigerator, make sure you wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil to keep it from absorbing any odors. Additionally, it’s recommended to only store coffee cake in the refrigerator for no longer than two days.
What are some creative ways to enjoy coffee cake?
Love coffee cake but getting bored with the same old same old? Well, fear not—there are plenty of creative ways to enjoy coffee cake. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Jazz up a classic coffee cake by adding a layer of apples in the center. This is a delicious way to add texture and flavor to the otherwise simple cake.
- Experiment with different toppings for your coffee cake. You can add a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar, a drizzle of icing, or some fresh fruit like blueberries or raspberries.
- Make a fancy French toast with your coffee cake. Cut it into thick slices and dip it in egg and milk mixture before frying in a pan. Add a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar for an extra special treat.
- Turn your coffee cake into a trifle. Layer pieces of the cake, some cream cheese frosting, and a few fresh berries into a large trifle bowl. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of chocolate chips.
- Try making coffee cake muffins. Make the batter as usual, then pour it into muffin tins. Bake for about 20 minutes and you’ll have delicious and portable coffee cake muffins.
These are just a few of the many creative ways you can enjoy coffee cake.