I’m always looking for new ways to bring an exotic twist to my home cooking, and this Chicken Tagine with Butternut Squash and Spinach is one of my favorite recipes that has come to my rescue. The combination of succulent chicken, sweet butternut squash and tangy spinach is enough to make my taste buds tingle! Not only that, but it’s surprisingly simple to make, which makes it perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. I’ve made this recipe countless times, and each time it’s been a delicious success!
Chicken Tagine with Butternut Squash and Spinach Recipe
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Let’s get started on this delicious Chicken Tagine with Butternut Squash and Spinach! First, take out five boneless, skinless chicken thighs and place them in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together two tablespoons of olive oil, one tablespoon of ground cumin, one teaspoon of ground cinnamon, one teaspoon of ground ginger, and one teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the chicken thighs and make sure that they are evenly coated.
- Now, prepare the vegetables! Mince two cloves of garlic and dice one onion. Peel and cube one butternut squash.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook for about 5 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onion to the skillet and cook until they are fragrant and softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cubed butternut squash to the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in one cup of chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and add the chicken thighs back to the skillet.
- Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 60-90 minutes.
- Toward the end of the cooking time, add 2 cups of baby spinach leaves and 1/4 cup of fresh parsley. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Now you’re ready to enjoy your delicious Chicken Tagine with Butternut Squash and Spinach! Serve with warm, crusty bread and enjoy!
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 135mg
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 19g
What is a chicken tagine?
A chicken tagine is a Moroccan dish that is incredibly flavorful and incredibly easy to make! It’s a slow-cooked chicken stew that is flavored with fragrant spices like cumin and cinnamon, and is usually served with vegetables like butternut squash and spinach. The secret to getting maximum flavor out of this dish is to allow it to simmer for a few hours until the chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender. The resulting tagine is a sublime combination of savory and sweet, and the tender chicken and juicy vegetables make for a really satisfying meal.
What are the best ways to cook with butternut squash?
If you’re looking for delicious and nutritious ways to cook with butternut squash, then look no further! Butternut squash is an incredibly versatile vegetable that is great for roasting, baking, sautéing, grilling and steaming. Here are some of the best ways to cook with butternut squash to get the most out of this delightful ingredient:
- Roasting: Roasting butternut squash is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to prepare it. Preheat your oven to 400°F and cut the squash into cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, then spread it in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes until the cubes are tender.
- Baking: Baking with butternut squash is a great way to make a flavorful and comforting dish. Try making a hearty butternut squash mac and cheese or a savory butternut squash galette. If you’re feeling adventurous, try making a delicious butternut squash gratin – it’s a great way to impress your guests!
- Sautéing: For a quick and easy side dish, sauté butternut squash with some garlic and onions. Heat some olive oil in a skillet and add the squash, garlic and onions. Sauté for about 8 minutes until the squash is tender. Add some salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- Grilling: Grilling butternut squash is an excellent way to give it some smoky flavor. Cut the squash into long slices, then brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side until the squash is tender. Serve with your favorite grilled meats or vegetables.
- Steaming: Steaming is a healthy and easy way to cook with butternut squash. Cut the squash into cubes, place in a steamer basket, and steam for about 10 minutes until the squash is tender. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
No matter which method you choose, butternut squash is sure to be a hit! Try out these delicious recipes and enjoy the amazing flavors of butternut squash.
What are the health benefits of eating chicken tagine?
Eating chicken tagine can provide numerous health benefits!
- Chicken tagine is packed with protein and healthy fats that help keep you feeling full and energized throughout the day.
- The combination of butternut squash and spinach in the tagine adds additional vitamins and minerals to the dish, providing even more health benefits.
- Butternut squash is a great source of fiber, which helps promote healthy digestion and blood sugar balance.
- Spinach is a great source of iron and vitamin K, both of which are essential for energy production and bone health.
- The healthy fats found in chicken tagine, such as olive oil, can help reduce inflammation and lower cholesterol levels.
- Eating chicken tagine can also help boost your immune system and reduce your risk of certain diseases.
- Finally, the combination of herbs and spices in chicken tagine adds an extra layer of flavor without the added calories or fat.
How does spinach complement a chicken tagine dish?
Yes, spinach is a great addition to a chicken tagine dish! Its earthy, mild taste complements the earthiness and savory flavors of the tagine perfectly. Here are some of the reasons why spinach is a great complement to a chicken tagine dish:
- Spinach adds a boost of nutrition to the dish, providing more vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Iron.
- It adds a mild flavor and crunchy texture to the dish, which helps to balance out the richness of the sauce and hearty vegetables.
- Spinach is a great source of fiber, which can help to make the dish more filling and satisfying.
- It helps to add more color and visual appeal to the dish, making it more attractive and appealing.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious, healthy, and flavorful way to add more nutrition and flavor to your chicken tagine, spinach is a great option.
What are some tips for making the perfect chicken tagine?
Start with a base of fragrant olive oil and garlic. Sautee the garlic until it’s golden and then add the chicken pieces. Cook the chicken until it’s cooked through, taking care to not overcook it.
- Choose the right spices. A traditional tagine includes cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Feel free to add other spices to your liking as well, such as turmeric and ginger.
- Add the vegetables. Once the chicken is cooked, add the cubed butternut squash and stir until the squash starts to caramelize. Then add the spinach and stir until it has wilted.
- Add a liquid. For the perfect tagine, use chicken or vegetable stock, or even some white wine to deglaze the pan and add flavor.
- Simmer. After adding the liquid, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
What are some creative ways to serve chicken tagine?
If you’re looking for creative and delicious ways to serve chicken tagine, you’re in luck! There are so many delicious options to choose from. Whether you’re looking for something to serve as a main course or a side dish, these ideas will help you create a meal that’s sure to please.
One way to serve up this tasty dish is as a wrap. Simply combine the cooked tagine with some butternut squash, spinach and other vegetables of your choice, then wrap it in a warm pita or tortilla. Not only is this a delicious way to eat your tagine, but it’s also a great way to use up any leftover ingredients you may have.
Another creative way to enjoy this dish is to serve it over a bed of couscous. The couscous will soak up all the flavor of the tagine, giving it an extra boost of flavor. You can also add some chopped almonds and herbs like parsley or cilantro to give it an extra kick.
For a more traditional presentation, try serving the tagine with a side of roasted vegetables. Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and adds an extra layer of flavor to your meal. For a truly memorable meal, consider adding some macadamia nuts or pine nuts to your roasted vegetables for an extra crunch.
Finally, you can always serve the tagine with a fresh salad. This is a great way to add some color and flavor to your meal, as well as lighten it up. Consider adding some feta cheese and olives to the salad for an extra Mediterranean flair.
No matter how you choose to serve your chicken tagine, you’re sure to have a delicious meal. With these creative ideas, you’ll be sure to impress your guests and have them coming back for more.