I love making chicken enchiladas. It’s my go-to dinner when I want something that’s the perfect mix of comfort and flavor. There’s something so special about the combination of the savory chicken, the creamy sauce, and the melted cheese – it’s like a party in your mouth. Best of all, it’s an easy recipe to make, so you can have a delicious dinner on the table in no time!
Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper to the skillet and cook for another minute, stirring to combine.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and enchilada sauce.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- To assemble the enchiladas, fill each tortilla with the chicken and vegetable mixture and a few tablespoons of the sauce. Roll the tortilla up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the enchiladas with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, guacamole, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Enjoy!
- Calories: 321
- Total Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 42 mg
- Sodium: 676 mg
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Protein: 18 g
What makes chicken enchiladas a delicious dish?
Chicken enchiladas are a delicious dish because they have a combination of savory flavors, a variety of textures, and are easy to prepare.
The savory flavors of chicken enchiladas come from the combination of the protein-packed chicken, the spicy enchilada sauce, and the salty cheese topping. The chicken can be cooked in a variety of ways, from grilled to boiled to shredded. The enchilada sauce, typically a blend of chili peppers, tomato sauce, and spices, adds a kick of flavor to the dish. The topping of melted cheese gives it a salty, creamy finish.
The variety of textures in chicken enchiladas makes them a delight to eat. The soft tortillas, the juicy chicken, the crunchy vegetables, and the creamy cheese all combine to provide an enjoyable eating experience.
Finally, chicken enchiladas are easy to make. All you need is chicken, tortillas, enchilada sauce, vegetables, and cheese. Simply roll the chicken and vegetables into the tortillas, top with the sauce and cheese, and bake in the oven. In no time at all, you have a delicious, home-cooked meal.
With their savory flavors, variety of textures, and ease of preparation, it’s no wonder why chicken enchiladas are such a tasty dish.
What are the health benefits of eating chicken enchiladas?
The health benefits of eating chicken enchiladas are numerous. Here are some of the most noteworthy:
- Chicken enchiladas are packed with protein. This helps to keep the body fueled, while also helping to build and maintain muscle mass.
- The combination of chicken, cheese, and sauce in chicken enchiladas can provide a balanced meal with a variety of nutrients such as calcium, iron, and fiber.
- Eating chicken enchiladas can also help to lower cholesterol levels, as chicken is naturally low in fat and free of saturated fat.
- The vegetables that are often found in chicken enchiladas can provide an additional source of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Eating chicken enchiladas can help to make sure that you are eating enough vegetables, as vegetables are often an afterthought when preparing a meal.
- Lastly, the spices used in making chicken enchiladas can also provide a variety of health benefits, such as helping to reduce inflammation and bolster the immune system.
How can you create a balanced flavor for chicken enchiladas?
Creating a balanced flavor for chicken enchiladas is all about finding the perfect combination of ingredients. The key is to include a variety of flavors, such as sweet, savory, spicy, and tangy. Here are some tips for creating a flavorful and delicious enchilada dish:
- Use a variety of spices to add depth and complexity to the flavor. Consider adding chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, and paprika.
- Experiment with different types of chilies, such as jalapenos, serranos, and chipotles. Each type of chili has a unique flavor that can add a unique dimension to the dish.
- Use a flavorful sauce, such as a tomatillo sauce or a mole sauce. These sauces add both color and flavor to the dish.
- Consider adding additional ingredients, such as roasted corn, black beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions. These ingredients can provide a variety of flavors and textures to the dish.
- Finally, top the enchiladas with cheese, sour cream, and/or cilantro for an added layer of flavor.
By following these tips, you can create a flavorful and delicious chicken enchilada dish that will satisfy any taste. With the perfect combination of ingredients, you can create a balanced flavor that everyone will enjoy.
What ingredients are required to prepare chicken enchiladas?
To prepare chicken enchiladas, you will need a few basic ingredients: cooked chicken, enchilada sauce, tortillas, and cheese. Additionally, you may want to add vegetables such as onions, peppers, and tomatoes, as well as spices such as cumin, chili powder, and garlic. These ingredients will help to bring out the flavor and make your enchiladas even more delicious!
The first step to preparing chicken enchiladas is to cook the chicken. You can do this in a variety of ways – you can bake, grill, or even poach your chicken. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it into small pieces.
Next, you will need to make the enchilada sauce. This can be done by combining tomatoes, chilies, onions, garlic, and spices in a blender or food processor. Once the ingredients are blended, simmer your enchilada sauce in a saucepan for about 10 minutes.
Once the chicken and the sauce are ready, it’s time to assemble the enchiladas. Start by heating the tortillas in the oven or on a skillet. Once they are warm and pliable, fill each tortilla with the chicken, vegetables, and cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place it in a baking dish.
Finally, pour the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, top with more cheese, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
How can you add variety to chicken enchiladas?
There are many ways to add variety to chicken enchiladas. You can experiment with different types of sauces and spices, switch up the ingredients inside the enchiladas, and use different toppings.
Sauces and Spices
When it comes to sauces, you can try using different types of enchilada sauces, such as green chile, red chile, tomatillo, or mole. For a milder flavor, you can experiment with different types of creams, such as sour cream or cream cheese. You can also add a kick of flavor by adding different types of spices, such as cumin, chili powder, oregano, or garlic powder.
When it comes to the ingredients inside the enchiladas, you can mix it up and use different types of cheeses, meats, beans, and vegetables. For example, you can try using different types of cheeses, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella. You can also switch up the type of meat you use, such as chicken, beef, or pork. And, if you don’t want to use meat, you can opt for beans or vegetables instead.
To add even more variety, you can top your enchiladas with different ingredients. If you’re looking for a crunchy topping, you can add crushed tortilla chips, diced onions, diced tomatoes, or sliced jalapenos. For a creamy topping, you can add sour cream, guacamole, or shredded cheese. You can also add cilantro, green onions, or olives for a flavorful garnish.
By experimenting with different sauces and spices, switching up the ingredients inside the enchiladas, and using different toppings, you can easily add variety to your chicken enchiladas.