Creamy Indian-Style Chicken And Butternut Squash Curry
Hey everyone, do I have an amazing dish to share with you! I’m so excited to share this delicious Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry recipe I tried out a few days ago. This is definitely one of the best dishes I’ve ever made, and I’m sure it will be a hit in your kitchen too. The combination of flavors is just so amazing, and it’s an incredibly easy recipe to make. So let’s get cooking!
Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Let’s make Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry!
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
- Sprinkle in the cumin, coriander, garam masala, and chili pepper and mix to combine.
- Add the cubed chicken and cook until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the butternut squash cubes and stir to combine.
- Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and butternut squash are both fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Add the cilantro, season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve the Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry over rice or couscous and enjoy!
- Total Time: 35 minutes of preparation plus 55 minutes of cooking.
- Calories: 571
- Total Fat: 33 g
- Saturated Fat: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 98 mg
- Sodium: 531 mg
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Sugar: 10 g
- Protein: 42 g
What makes chicken and butternut squash curry a delicious and nutritious meal?
Chicken and butternut squash curry is a delicious and nutritious meal that packs a flavorful punch! This simple curry is made with chicken, butternut squash, and a blend of spices that create a savory and slightly sweet flavor. The squash adds a creamy texture and a boost of nutrition to the dish, while the chicken provides lean protein. The combination of flavors and textures is sure to delight even the pickiest of eaters. Plus, the health benefits make it a great choice for a weeknight meal.
This dish is loaded with vitamins and minerals, making it a great way to increase your daily intake of essential nutrients. Butternut squash offers a significant amount of dietary fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C. The chicken is an excellent source of lean protein and B vitamins. In addition, the blend of spices used in this curry is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
This curry is also very easy to make and can be thrown together in just a few minutes. It’s a great way to use up any leftover chicken you may have on hand, and the leftovers make a great lunch or snack the next day. With its delicious flavor and nutritious ingredients, chicken and butternut squash curry is the perfect meal for any night of the week.
What spices and herbs best complement chicken and butternut squash curry?
When it comes to making a delicious and aromatic chicken and butternut squash curry, you’ll want to get the spices and herbs just right. The perfect blend of spices can turn a simple curry into something truly special. So, what are the best spices and herbs for this dish?
The essential spices for the curry are garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder. These five spices give the curry a warm and earthy flavor, perfect for the butternut squash. To add a little bit of sweetness, you can also add a pinch of cinnamon.
For the herbs, you’ll want to use fresh cilantro and a bit of fresh mint. The cilantro gives the curry a citrusy flavor and the mint adds a hint of coolness. For a more flavorful dish, you can also add fresh mint and ginger, which will bring out the flavor of the chicken and squash even more.
To complete the meal, you can also add a few drops of lemon juice for brightness, and a pinch of salt and black pepper for a touch of heat.
With these spices and herbs, your chicken and butternut squash curry will be a flavorful and aromatic delight.
What are the key benefits of including chicken and butternut squash in a curry dish?
The key benefits of including chicken and butternut squash in a curry dish are numerous! Here are some of the top reasons why this combination is a great choice:
- Versatile: Chicken and butternut squash curry can be tailored to suit a range of dietary needs. Whether you’re looking for a vegan or vegetarian option, or want to add a bit of protein to the dish, this combination is perfect.
- Nutritious: Chicken and butternut squash are both rich in essential vitamins and minerals. The squash provides important dietary fiber, while the chicken is a great source of lean protein.
- Flavorful: The combination of chicken and butternut squash is a match made in heaven. The sweetness of the squash compliments the savory flavors of the chicken, creating a delicious and highly flavorful dish.
- Easy to Make: Chicken and butternut squash curry is a relatively easy dish to prepare. It can be cooked in one pot on the stovetop or in the oven, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Economical: Chicken and butternut squash are both relatively inexpensive ingredients, making this dish a great budget-friendly option.
Overall, adding chicken and butternut squash to a curry dish is a great way to create a delicious, nutritious, and economical meal.
What tips can be used to ensure a successful chicken and butternut squash curry?
Making a delicious chicken and butternut squash curry doesn’t have to be difficult! To ensure a successful dish, here are some top tips:
- Marinate your chicken in a mixture of your favorite spices, such as cumin, coriander and turmeric, for at least an hour before cooking. This will help to infuse the curry with flavor.
- Use fresh butternut squash and cut it into cubes that are all the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Use a generous amount of quality curry paste, such as Thai red or green curry paste. This will give the curry a rich and flavorful taste.
- Simmer the curry for at least 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is tender. This will allow the flavors to meld together.
- Finally, add a handful of fresh herbs, such as coriander or mint, for an extra burst of flavor.
How can the flavor of chicken and butternut squash curry be varied to suit individual tastes?
There are so many ways to vary the flavor of chicken and butternut squash curry to suit individual tastes! Whether you’re a fan of spicy dishes or prefer more subtle flavors, you can easily tweak the ingredients to get the perfect taste. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
For a spicy kick, add a teaspoon or two of chili flakes or finely chopped fresh chili pepper. You can also try different types of curry powder like Madras or Korma. If you like things sweet, try adding a bit of honey or brown sugar. If you prefer a milder flavor, decrease the amount of curry powder and turmeric, and add more ginger and garlic.
If you like tangy flavors, try adding a bit of lime juice or diced tomatoes. For a creamy curry, add a can of coconut milk or some Greek yogurt. To make it more nutty, add roasted cashew nuts or almonds. If you want to try something different, add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or tahini.
Whatever your preference, it’s easy to experiment with different ingredients and spices to get the perfect taste for your chicken and butternut squash curry.
What sides and accompaniments pair best with chicken and butternut squash curry?
When it comes to Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry, there are so many delicious side dishes and accompaniments that can be served with it! While traditionally served with basmati rice, there are plenty of other options that can help make your meal even more special. Here are some of our favorite sides and accompaniments that pair perfectly with Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry:
• Naan bread – This traditional Indian flatbread is a great accompaniment for soaking up all the delicious flavors of Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry.
• Raita – This cooling yogurt-based side dish is a great way to add a refreshing contrast to the heat of the curry.
• Cucumber salad – A refreshing cucumber salad is a great way to add a bit of crunch and a hint of sweetness to the meal.
• Roasted vegetables – Roasted vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, and cauliflower are an excellent way to add some extra nutrition to the dish.
• Mango chutney – A sweet and tangy mango chutney is a great way to add an extra flavor punch to your curry.
• Plain yogurt – A simple dollop of plain yogurt can help to cool down the heat of the curry and add a bit of creaminess to the dish.