I love baking and I especially love baking with cherries! So when I came across this recipe for Cherry Shortbread Bars, I was thrilled. These bars have a delicious buttery shortbread base, topped with a tart cherry filling and a crumbly streusel topping. Every time I make them, they never last long! The combination of flavors and textures is absolutely irresistible. I can guarantee that these Cherry Shortbread Bars will be a huge hit with your family and friends, so let’s get baking!
Cherry Shortbread Bars Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped cherries
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar for topping
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, and salt. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to mix everything together until it’s well-combined and has a crumbly texture.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and cherries and mix until everything is evenly distributed.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until the dough comes together.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Place the dough in the baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges of the dough turn a golden brown.
- Allow the cherry shortbread bars to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 300 kcal
- Total Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Sodium: 200 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 40 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 7 g
- Protein: 4 g
What makes cherry shortbread bars the perfect dessert?
Cherry shortbread bars are the perfect dessert because they combine the buttery, crumbly texture of a traditional shortbread cookie with the sweet and tart flavor of juicy cherries and a hint of almond extract. They are easy to make, delicious to eat, and sure to be a hit with everyone who takes a bite. Plus, since they can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator or freezer, they’re a great last-minute dessert option.
These bars are made with a buttery shortbread base, then topped with a layer of thick, sweet cherry filling. The combination of the sweet and tart cherries with the almond extract creates a flavor explosion that will have everyone going back for more. The shortbread base adds a nice crunch that pairs perfectly with the juicy cherries.
Since these bars are so easy to make, they are great for a wide variety of occasions. From family dinners to potlucks to parties, they can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. They can also be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator or freezer, making them a great last-minute option.
Cherry shortbread bars are a delicious, easy-to-make dessert that everyone will love. With their buttery shortbread base, thick cherry filling, and hint of almond extract, they are sure to be a hit at any gathering. They can be adapted to any occasion and made in advance, making them the perfect last-minute dessert option.
What are the essential ingredients for cherry shortbread bars?
Believe it or not, the essential ingredients for making delicious cherry shortbread bars are only four! Yes, you read that right – just four ingredients are all you need to make these delectable treats. The ingredients you need are butter, all-purpose flour, sugar, and cherry preserves. That’s it! Now, let’s talk about how to put these four ingredients together for the perfect cherry shortbread bars.
To begin, in a medium bowl, combine one cup of butter, two and a quarter cups of all-purpose flour, and half a cup of sugar. Using a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients together until they form a crumbly dough.
Once the dough is ready, line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and press the dough into the pan. Make sure the dough is evenly distributed and pressed firmly into the pan.
After the dough is in the pan, spread one cup of cherry preserves over the top of the dough. Make sure the preserves are spread evenly.
Finally, bake the pan of cherry shortbread bars in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the bars cool before cutting and serving.
And there you have it – four simple ingredients and easy steps to make delicious cherry shortbread bars.
What are some tips and tricks to making cherry shortbread bars?
Make sure to use cold butter! Cut the cold butter into small cubes and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. This will ensure that your shortbread bars have the perfect crumbly texture.
- When adding the cherries, make sure to use a food processor to chop them up. This will make sure that the cherries are spread evenly throughout the bars.
- Add the eggs and almond extract at the end. This will add a delicious nutty flavor and also make sure that the cherries are evenly distributed.
- When forming the bars, make sure to use a 9-inch pan. This will ensure that the bars are the perfect size and shape.
- After baking, let the bars cool completely before slicing and serving. This will make sure that the bars hold their shape and are the perfect texture.
How long does it take to make cherry shortbread bars?
Making cherry shortbread bars is a quick and simple baking project that you can complete in less than an hour! All you need is a few ingredients, a little bit of time, and you can have delicious, homemade cherry shortbread bars in no time.
To make cherry shortbread bars, you’ll need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, mix together one cup of butter, one-third cup of sugar, and two cups of flour. Knead the dough until it forms a ball and then spread it out onto a greased baking tray.
Next, add the cherries to the top of the dough. You can use either fresh or canned cherries. For a sweet-tart flavor, try mixing together equal parts of both. Once the cherries are spread out evenly, spread the remaining dough over the top and press down lightly.
Finally, bake your cherry shortbread bars for 25 minutes or until the top is golden-brown. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into small squares.
What flavors work best with cherry shortbread bars?
Ah, the ever-tempting cherry shortbread bar! Delicious, chewy and sweet, these bars can be enjoyed with a variety of flavors. The classic combination is of course cherries and chocolate, but there are many other delicious flavors that work beautifully with this treat. Here’s a look at some of the best flavors to pair with cherry shortbread bars.
One of the best flavors to complement cherry shortbread bars is almond. Whether you’re using almond extract, almond butter, or chopped almonds, the nutty flavor of almonds perfectly complements the sweetness of cherries. This is a flavorful and classic combination that is sure to make your cherry shortbread bars extra special.
Another great flavor to try is coconut. Coconut flakes, coconut oil, or coconut extract can all be used to add a unique and tropical flavor to your shortbread bars. The combination of cherries and coconut is truly irresistible and will make your cherry shortbread bars stand out from the crowd.
If you’re looking for something a bit more traditional, vanilla is the way to go. Vanilla extract or bean paste can be added to the shortbread batter to give it a nice, sweet flavor. The flavor of vanilla is light enough to not overpower the cherries, but strong enough to add a hint of sweetness.
And lastly, if you’re feeling adventurous, why not try adding a hint of spice? Cinnamon and nutmeg are two spices that work really well with cherries. Adding a pinch of either of these spices to the batter will give your cherry shortbread bars an extra bit of flavor that will make them even more delicious.
So, there you have it: a few flavors that work perfectly with cherry shortbread bars. Whether you’re looking for something classic or something a bit more daring, there is a flavor that will work with your cherry shortbread bars.
What are the creative ways to serve cherry shortbread bars?
Serving cherry shortbread bars is a great way to add a delicious and creative touch to any get-together or special occasion. There are many ways to make them even more interesting, from presentation ideas to flavour combinations. Here are some of our favourite ways to serve these tasty treats!
- Skewers – A great way to make cherry shortbread bars more fun is to serve them on skewers. Simply pierce a cherry shortbread bar on one end of the skewer and a cherry on the other end. You can even add other fruits like strawberries or raspberries to the mix.
- Sandwich – Another great way to serve cherry shortbread bars is to make a shortbread sandwich. Simply place two pieces of shortbread together with a layer of cherry jam in between. This will add a delicious burst of flavour to your bars.
- Layer Cake – Why not make a cherry shortbread layer cake? Make a layer of cherry shortbread bars, followed by a layer of cherry jam and then a layer of whipped cream. This will look beautiful when presented to your guests.
- Soft Serve – Take your cherry shortbread bars to the next level by turning them into a soft serve ice cream. Simply blend the bars together with some cherry syrup and pour into a cone. The result will be a delicious and creamy treat.
No matter which way you serve your cherry shortbread bars, they are sure to be a hit. With these creative ideas, you can make them even more special and memorable.