I love to cook and create unique dishes, but nothing beats the classic comfort of an enchilada. I recently tried my hand at butternut squash enchiladas and was amazed by the flavor and texture. The creamy butternut squash, the spicy enchilada sauce, and the gooey melted cheese blend together perfectly to create a unique yet comforting dish. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make enchilada recipe, this butternut squash enchilada is the way to go!
Butternut Squash Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked cubed butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Butternut Squash Enchiladas
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 35 minutes
- Additional time: 10 minutes
- tablespoons olive oil
- small yellow onion, diced
- cloves garlic, minced
- cups cooked cubed butternut squash
- teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoon chili powder
- /2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- cups enchilada sauce
- (6-inch) corn tortillas
- cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- /4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Working one at a time, fill each tortilla with a few tablespoons of the butternut squash mixture and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Roll up and place seam-side down in the prepared dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with chopped cilantro. Serve. Enjoy!
- Serving size: 1 enchilada
- Calories: 333
- Total Fat: 14.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Sodium: 838mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 39.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.5g
- Sugars: 9.7g
- Protein: 11.7g
What flavor and texture profile do butternut squash enchiladas offer?
Butternut squash enchiladas offer a unique flavor and texture profile that is both savory and sweet. The sweet taste of the butternut squash is complemented by the Mexican flavors of the enchilada sauce and spices, while the creamy texture of the squash provides a nice contrast to the crunch of the tortilla. The combination of all these flavors and textures make butternut squash enchiladas an enjoyable and satisfying meal.
When butternut squash is cooked, it develops a sweet and nutty taste that blends well with the Mexican flavors of enchilada sauce, cumin, chili powder, and garlic. The creamy texture of the cooked squash helps to provide a pleasant contrast to the crunch of the tortilla. The combination of these flavors and textures creates an enjoyable and flavorful meal.
The texture of butternut squash enchiladas also adds to the overall experience. The creamy texture of the squash combined with the crunch of the tortilla creates a unique and enjoyable texture. The tortillas are lightly fried before the enchiladas are rolled, adding a hint of crispness to the dish. The resulting texture profile of the butternut squash enchiladas is both satisfying and flavorful.
Overall, butternut squash enchiladas offer a unique flavor and texture profile that is both savory and sweet. The combination of Mexican spices, the creamy texture of the squash, and the crunch of the tortilla makes for a flavorful and enjoyable meal.
What seasonings and spices pair best with butternut squash enchiladas?
When it comes to seasoning butternut squash enchiladas, there are several spices and seasonings that pair well with the squash. These include cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Additionally, adding a hint of lime juice or cilantro can add a refreshing twist to the enchiladas.
Cumin is a cornerstone of Mexican cooking, and it is essential for making flavorful butternut squash enchiladas. Its earthy aroma pairs perfectly with the sweet, nutty flavor of the squash. Chili powder is another classic Mexican spice, and it adds a spicy-smoky kick to the enchiladas. Smoked paprika is a milder version of regular paprika, but it adds a deep smokiness that complements the sweetness of the squash. Garlic powder adds a subtle hint of garlic, while oregano adds a slightly bitter, herbal flavor. Finally, a pinch of cayenne pepper will give the enchiladas a pleasant heat.
To add a refreshing twist to the enchiladas, a squeeze of lime juice or a sprinkle of cilantro will do the trick. The sourness of the lime juice will balance the sweetness of the squash, while the cilantro will add a bright, herby flavor to the dish.
In conclusion, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper are all excellent seasonings for butternut squash enchiladas. A squeeze of lime juice or a handful of cilantro will add a refreshing twist to the dish. With these spices and seasonings, you can enjoy delicious and flavorful butternut squash enchiladas.
What health benefits can this dish provide?
Butternut Squash Enchiladas offer numerous health benefits when included as part of a balanced diet. Here are some of the main benefits:
- High in fiber: Butternut squash is high in fiber, which can help keep digestion running smoothly and can help you feel full for longer.
- Low in calories: Butternut squash is low in calories so it can be a great choice for those looking to lose weight.
- Rich in antioxidants: Butternut squash contains antioxidants, which can help protect the body from free radical damage and can help reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Butternut squash is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. All of these vitamins and minerals are essential for good health.
- Low in fat: Butternut squash is low in fat, making it an excellent choice for those looking to reduce their fat intake.
Overall, Butternut Squash Enchiladas can be a great addition to a balanced diet, providing numerous health benefits.
How can butternut squash enchiladas be adapted to suit different dietary needs?
Butternut squash enchiladas can easily be adapted to suit different dietary needs. Depending on the individual’s needs, the dish can be prepared to be vegan, gluten-free, low-carb, and more.
For vegan diets, the dish can be prepared with vegan cheese and plant-based proteins, such as tofu or tempeh. The enchiladas can also be made with a vegan red enchilada sauce and other vegan-friendly ingredients.
For gluten-free diets, the enchiladas can be made with corn tortillas, which are naturally gluten-free. The sauce should also be checked for gluten-containing ingredients, such as wheat flour or barley malt.
Low-carb diets can also enjoy butternut squash enchiladas, by using low-carb tortillas, such as those made with almond flour. The filling can also be adjusted to include more vegetables and less cheese, to reduce the overall carb content.
Butternut squash enchiladas can be adapted to meet any dietary need. With a few simple adjustments, anyone can enjoy this delicious dish.
What are some creative toppings to add to butternut squash enchiladas?
Adding creative toppings to butternut squash enchiladas is a great way to give a delicious dish a unique twist. Topping options range from traditional Mexican-inspired ingredients to unexpected flavor combinations. Some top choices to consider include: diced tomatoes, crumbled queso fresco, diced avocados, sliced jalapenos, minced cilantro, crumbled bacon, diced red onions, and shredded cheese.
For a more unusual topping, try adding a combination of diced apples, toasted pecans, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. This sweet and savory topping adds a unique flavor to your butternut squash enchiladas that will have your guests talking.
If you’re searching for a topping with a kick, try adding chopped pineapple, diced jalapenos, and a drizzle of hot sauce. This combination will give your dish a spicy flavor that will tantalize your taste buds.
For a southwestern-inspired topping, combine chorizo, diced bell peppers, and a dollop of sour cream. This mix of flavors will give your butternut squash enchiladas a unique, south-of-the-border flair.
These creative topping ideas will help you take your butternut squash enchiladas to the next level. Experiment with different combinations to find the perfect topping for your dish.