Delicious Buttermilk Crumpets – An Easy Recipe
There’s nothing better than biting into a freshly-made Buttermilk Crumpet – it’s my absolute favorite snack! I’ve been making these fluffy, buttery beauties for years, and I’m always amazed at how quick and easy it is to whip up a batch. You don’t need any special equipment or ingredients – just a few simple items from your pantry and you’re good to go. Plus, the delicious smell of these crumpets cooking will make your mouth water! Get ready to enjoy a treat that’s sure to become a family favorite.
Buttermilk Crumpets Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon white vinegar
- Get ready to wow your friends and family with these delicious buttermilk crumpets! Start by prepping your ingredients: in a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups buttermilk with 1 large egg, 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, and ¼ teaspoon white vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Grease a griddle or large non-stick pan with butter and heat over medium-high heat.
- Drop ¼ cup of batter onto the griddle and spread out into a circle using the back of a spoon. Cook until the edges of the crumpet begin to dry out, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the crumpet and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove the crumpet from the griddle and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the crumpets warm with butter and jam, or your favorite topping! Enjoy!
- Calories: 309 kcal
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.8 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 541 mg
- Cholesterol: 52 mg
- Sugar: 5.3 g
What are buttermilk crumpets and why have they become so popular?
Buttermilk crumpets are a delicious snack that’s been gaining popularity in recent years. They’re made with a combination of buttermilk, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. The batter is poured into a crumpet ring and then cooked until golden brown. The result is a sweet, fluffy and delicious treat.
But why have buttermilk crumpets become so popular? Well, for one, they’re incredibly easy to make. All you need is a few simple ingredients, a crumpet ring, and a stove. And, because they’re so easy to make, they can be enjoyed any time of day, as an afternoon snack or even as a light breakfast.
Additionally, buttermilk crumpets have a unique texture and flavor, making them a great choice for those looking for something new and different. The buttermilk gives the crumpets a slightly tangy taste, while the baking powder helps them to become fluffy and light. And, because the crumpets are cooked in a crumpet ring, they get a nice crisp edge around the outside, making them even more enjoyable to eat.
Finally, buttermilk crumpets are incredibly versatile. They can be enjoyed plain, or as a savory snack when topped with cheese, bacon, and other toppings. They can also be enjoyed sweet, drizzled with honey, chocolate sauce, or even marshmallow fluff. No matter how you like to enjoy them, buttermilk crumpets are sure to please.
All in all, it’s easy to see why buttermilk crumpets have become so popular. They’re easy to make, they have a unique flavor and texture, and they’re incredibly versatile.
What makes buttermilk crumpets unique and special?
You might be wondering what makes buttermilk crumpets so unique and special? Well, the answer lies in the combination of buttermilk and crumpet.
Buttermilk is a type of fermented milk that has a slightly sour taste and a creamy texture. It’s high in protein, which makes it a great addition to baked goods like crumpets.
On the other hand, crumpets are small, round spongy cakes that are made from a mixture of flour and yeast. They are traditionally cooked in a pan on a stove until they become golden and crispy on the outside.
The combination of buttermilk and crumpets create a unique and delicious flavor that is hard to resist. The buttermilk adds a tartness to the crumpets, while the crumpets themselves remain light and fluffy. Plus, the combination of high-protein buttermilk and fluffy crumpets results in a satisfying and filling treat.
Buttermilk crumpets are also incredibly versatile. You can enjoy them sweet or savory, and they can be served with a variety of toppings. Whether you top them with butter and jam, or cheese and herbs, they are sure to be a hit with everyone.
Finally, buttermilk crumpets are simple to make and require minimal ingredients. This makes them an ideal treat to whip up and enjoy in no time!
So, what makes buttermilk crumpets unique and special? It’s the combination of buttermilk and crumpets which creates a unique flavor, their versatility and the fact that they are easy to make.
What are some of the health benefits of buttermilk crumpets?
Buttermilk crumpets are packed with health benefits! Here are some of the top reasons why you should include them in your diet:
- Low in Calories: Buttermilk crumpets are low in calories, so you can enjoy them without worrying about packing on extra pounds.
- High in Protein: Buttermilk crumpets are high in protein, offering a great source of energy and helping to keep you full for longer.
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: Buttermilk crumpets are rich in vitamins and minerals, helping to boost immunity and keep you healthy.
- Good Source of Fiber: Buttermilk crumpets are also a good source of fiber, helping to aid digestion and keep your gut healthy.
- Low in Sugar: Buttermilk crumpets are low in sugar, so you can enjoy them without the worry of a sugar spike.
- Healthy Fats: Buttermilk crumpets are also a great source of healthy fats, helping to keep your heart healthy and reduce cholesterol levels.
What are some tips and tricks to make the perfect buttermilk crumpets?
Start with high-quality ingredients: Get the best-quality buttermilk you can find, as well as the highest-grade flour and butter. This will ensure that your crumpets have the best taste and texture.
- Mix it up: Combine the buttermilk, flour, and butter in a large bowl, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Add a little extra: To make your crumpets extra fluffy and light, add a teaspoon of baking powder.
- Cook with care: Heat a lightly greased skillet over medium-high heat. Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the skillet, taking care to make them as round as possible.
- Flip it: After a few minutes, the crumpets should be golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip them over and cook the other side until it is also golden brown.
- Serve it up: Serve the crumpets while they’re still hot and fluffy.
What is the best way to make buttermilk crumpets at home?
Making buttermilk crumpets at home is something you’ll want to do once you get a taste of these delicious treats! The best way to make them is with a few simple ingredients, a griddle or skillet, and a little bit of patience. Here’s what you’ll need:
- cups of all-purpose flour
- teaspoons baking powder
- teaspoon baking soda
- teaspoon sugar
- /4 teaspoon salt
- cups buttermilk
To begin, mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl and make sure they’re well combined. Then, add the buttermilk and stir until the mixture is thick and dough-like. Once your batter is ready, heat your griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Grease the surface with a bit of butter or oil to prevent sticking.
Now you’re ready to cook! Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the greased surface and let them cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on the crumpets and flip them when they begin to bubble and brown.
Enjoy the delicious aroma filling your kitchen as the crumpets cook to perfection. Once they’re done, top them with your favorite spread, honey, or jam and enjoy!
Making buttermilk crumpets at home is a great way to treat yourself or your family to a delicious snack. With a few simple ingredients and a little bit of patience, you can make delicious buttermilk crumpets right in your own kitchen.
What can you serve with buttermilk crumpets to make a complete meal?
You can make a complete meal out of buttermilk crumpets by adding some sides to them! Serve them with some lightly dressed arugula, roasted root vegetables like carrots and beets, and a creamy soup. You can also add some grilled proteins like chicken or salmon to make it a heartier meal.
Arugula and roasted root vegetables make a great side for buttermilk crumpets. Start by washing and drying a few handfuls of arugula. Drizzle the leaves with some extra virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast some carrots, beets, and other root vegetables with some oil, salt and pepper. When they’re done, serve them alongside the crumpets.
Soups are a great addition to a buttermilk crumpet meal. Serve a creamy soup like a potato leek soup or roasted red pepper soup. Alternatively, try a tomato basil soup for a lighter option.
If you’re looking for a heartier meal, grill some chicken or salmon and serve it with the crumpets. Sprinkle some herbs and spices on the chicken or salmon before cooking, and serve it with a side of your favorite sauce.
Buttermilk crumpets are a great base for a meal, and with some fresh sides, a creamy soup, and grilled proteins, you can make a complete meal out of them.
What are some creative ways to dress up buttermilk crumpets?
You can dress up buttermilk crumpets in so many creative ways! Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Top your crumpets with a sweet and savory combination of cream cheese, honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Go for a classic sweet treat by topping your crumpets with butter, jam, and a light dusting of powdered sugar.
- Make your crumpets into an indulgent breakfast treat by adding a poached egg and a drizzle of melted butter.
- Get a little adventurous by adding some fresh fruit and a dollop of Greek yogurt for a healthy and delicious start to your day.
- Make a delicious lunch by adding some sliced avocado, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Get a little bit of everything by topping your crumpets with a combination of cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers, and a sprinkle of dill.