I’m excited to share with you my favorite comfort food recipe – Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM! This dish is so delicious and easy to make – sure to become a family favorite. I’ve been making this recipe for years, and it always brings a smile to my family’s faces. With the salty-sweet taste of SPAM, the savory mushrooms, and the sweet onions, this dish is sure to please even the pickiest eaters. So, let’s get cooking!
Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM Recipe
- 4 cups dry broken uncooked pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 12 ounces can SPAM, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Gather all the ingredients listed above.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add the broken uncooked pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms, and sauté until they are softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir in the oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cubed SPAM in a separate skillet over medium-high heat and cook until it is golden and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the SPAM to the pasta mixture and stir in the butter and parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Let the pasta cool for 25 minutes before serving and enjoy!
- Calories: 393 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Sodium: 1706 mg
- Potassium: 397 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Vitamin A: 282 IU
- Vitamin C: 2 mg
- Calcium: 67 mg
- Iron: 1 mg
Have you ever cooked with spam before?
Have you ever cooked with Spam before? Well, you should give it a try! Spam is a versatile ingredient that can add a flare of flavor to any dish. And if you haven’t cooked with Spam before, you’re in for a treat, because this Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM recipe is the perfect place to start.
This recipe is guaranteed to have your taste buds singing. The combination of flavors from the mushrooms, onions, and Spam all create a party in your mouth. Plus, the Spam adds a wonderful crunch that contrasts so nicely with the softness of the mushroom and onion. Plus, the dish is easy to make and sure to become a favorite for the whole family.
To make this scrumptious dish, start by frying the Spam in a pan until crisp. Then add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook until soft. Once the vegetables are done cooking, add the broken pasta and cook until al dente. Then add in a bit of broth and some seasonings, bring the mixture to a boil and let simmer until done.
The end result is a delicious, comforting meal with a unique flavor. The combination of crunchy Spam and the creamy pasta is simply divine. So, if you’re looking to try something new, give this Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM recipe a try! You won’t be disappointed.
How does the broken pasta add texture to this dish?
Yes, broken pasta adds a delightful texture to this dish! Here are a few ways it does so:
- The broken pasta pieces create an interesting and unique texture, while still having the same great taste of traditional pasta.
- The broken pieces are smaller and easier to cook, allowing the dish to be assembled quickly and easily.
- The broken pieces provide a great contrast between the soft, mushy mushrooms and the crispy SPAM, giving the dish a delicious texture.
- The broken pieces add a crunchy bite as they are cooked, giving the dish an extra bit of texture.
Overall, broken pasta adds an amazing texture and complexity to this dish. By combining the creamy mushrooms, crispy SPAM, and the crunchy broken pasta pieces, you can create a truly delicious meal.
How does the smell of this dish make you feel?
The smell of this dish will make you feel like you’re in the perfect comfort zone. It’s a combination of aromas that will make your senses come alive! Here are a few of the ingredients that make this dish so aromatic:
- Mushrooms: Their earthy smell will transport you to a cozy evening in the woods.
- Onion: Its sharp and pungent smell will bring forth memories of family dinners.
- Crispy SPAM: Its savory and salty smell will make your mouth water.
These ingredients combine to create a unique and delicious smell that will make you feel like you’re in a world of comfort. Even when you’re not able to physically be with family, the smell of this dish will give you a sense of warmth and nostalgia. It’s a smell that will make you feel like you’re right at home.
What do you think of the combination of mushrooms, onions, and crispy spam?
I love the combination of mushrooms, onions, and crispy spam! The umami flavor of the mushrooms pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the onions and the crispiness of the SPAM adds a great texture to the dish. Not to mention, the dish is really easy to make with minimal ingredients.
Broken pasta with mushroom, onion, and crispy SPAM is a great way to make a delicious weeknight meal without having to visit the grocery store. All you need to do is grab some broken pasta, mushrooms, onions, and SPAM from your pantry. Then, you can just quickly sauté the mushrooms and onions, add the broken pasta and some broth, and finish by adding the crispy SPAM. The whole dish comes together in under 30 minutes, making it an ideal option for a busy weeknight.
The combination of mushrooms, onions, and crispy SPAM is a great way to add flavor and texture to a simple dish. Plus, the broken pasta makes it a great way to use up any broken or leftover pasta you may have in your pantry.
What other ingredients could you add to create a unique flavor?
When it comes to making your own unique version of the classic dish Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM, there are so many possibilities! To really take your creation to the next level, why not add some extra ingredients to create a truly unique flavor?
For a hint of sweetness, try adding diced apples or a sprinkle of brown sugar to the mix. The sweetness will play off the savory flavors from the other ingredients, giving your dish a deeper flavor profile. To add a bit of zest to the dish, you can try adding some diced jalapenos, diced peppers, or a pinch of red pepper flakes. These little additions will add a touch of heat that will make your dish stand out.
If you’re looking to add a bit of smoky flavor, why not try adding some diced bacon or a pinch of smoked paprika? This will give your dish a touch of smokiness that will really make it stand out. For a touch of creaminess, you can try adding a dollop of sour cream or cream cheese. This will add just the right amount of richness to balance out the flavors.
As you can see, there are so many possibilities when it comes to adding extra ingredients to your Broken Pasta with Mushroom, Onion, and Crispy SPAM to create a unique flavor. With just a few extra ingredients, you can take this classic dish to the next level.
What’s the best way to crisp up the spam?
The best way to crisp up the SPAM is to fry it in a hot skillet or pan until it’s golden brown and perfectly crisp! You can start off by heating up the skillet over medium-high heat and adding your SPAM in a single layer. Then, let it cook until it’s golden and crispy on one side before flipping it to crisp up the other side. The cooking time will depend on how thick the slices are, but it should take about 2-3 minutes per side.
Is this dish a good way to use up leftover pasta?
Absolutely! This dish is an amazing way to use up leftover pasta.
The beauty of this dish is that it’s incredibly simple and easy to make. All you need is some leftover spaghetti or linguine, a few pantry staples, and some SPAM. If you’ve got those, you’ve got yourself a delicious dinner.
The star of the show is, of course, the SPAM. It’s cut into cubes and fried until it’s golden and crispy. Then it’s added to the pasta with some mushrooms and onions, creating a savory and satisfying dish.
The pasta itself is broken into smaller pieces, creating a nice texture variation. The broken pieces also make it easier to mix the ingredients together and coat everything evenly in the flavorful sauce.
All in all, this is a great way to use up leftover pasta. It’s tasty, easy to make, and a great way to get creative with pantry staples.