I love cooking with brie! It’s such a creamy, luxurious cheese that can add a delicious element to just about any recipe. And today, I’m going to share a favorite of mine – Brie and Caramelized Onion Pinwheels. This savory appetizer is easy to make and so packed with flavor. The combination of creamy brie and sweet, caramelized onions is truly mouthwatering. So let’s get started!
Brie and Caramelized Onion Pinwheels Recipe
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 wheel of brie cheese, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Begin by slicing your onion into paper-thin slices. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add in the onion. Allow the onion to cook and caramelize, stirring occasionally. Once the onion becomes golden and tender, add the sugar, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined and remove from the heat.
- While the onion is cooking, roll out one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Spread the Dijon mustard evenly over the pastry.
- Top the mustard with the caramelized onions and sprinkle with the fresh thyme.
- Place the brie slices on top of the onions and thyme.
- Carefully roll the pastry up, jelly-roll style, and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat the same process with the second sheet of pastry.
- Cut each pastry roll into 8 one-inch pinwheels and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the brie has melted.
- Allow the pinwheels to cool for 10 minutes and then enjoy!
- Calories: 565, Fat: 35g, Carbohydrates: 44g, Protein: 11g, Sodium: 917mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 5g
What makes brie and caramelized onion pinwheels a delicious and easy-to-make snack?
You won’t find a more delicious and easy-to-make snack than brie and caramelized onion pinwheels! From the creamy, luscious brie to the sweet and savory caramelized onions, this delectable combination of flavors will have you coming back for more. These pinwheels are a great way to impress guests or just treat yourself for a delicious snack.
What makes brie and caramelized onion pinwheels so special? It all starts with the brie, which is a soft, creamy cheese with a mild flavor. This creamy cheese is the perfect base for the flavor of the caramelized onions. Caramelized onions are cooked in butter until they are golden brown, giving them a sweet, savory flavor that pairs perfectly with the brie. When these two flavors come together, the result is a rich, delicious snack that is sure to please.
These pinwheels are also incredibly easy to make. All you need to do is spread the brie on a sheet of puff pastry, top it with the caramelized onions, and roll it up. Then all that’s left to do is bake it in the oven and enjoy! The result is a crunchy, flaky outer crust and a creamy, savory center. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures.
The best part about these brie and caramelized onion pinwheels is that they are a great make-ahead snack. You can prepare them the night before and just bake them off when you’re ready to serve. This makes them a great option for entertaining, or just for when you need a quick and easy snack.
So if you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make snack, brie and caramelized onion pinwheels are the perfect choice. With its creamy brie and sweet, savory caramelized onions, this snack is sure to please. And with its simple preparation, you can have a delicious snack in no time.
How can you make the perfect caramelized onions for the pinwheels?
Making the perfect caramelized onions to top your Brie and Caramelized Onion Pinwheels is a breeze! All you need to do is heat up some oil or butter in a large pan on medium-high heat, add some thinly sliced onions to the pan, and let them cook for about 10 minutes until they start to soften. Then, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the onions cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are golden brown. Finally, season them with salt and pepper to taste, and voila! You have the perfect caramelized onions to top your pinwheels.
What are the benefits of making brie and caramelized onion pinwheels instead of other snacks?
If you’re looking for a tasty snack that is sure to impress, look no further than brie and caramelized onion pinwheels! These savory treats offer a variety of benefits compared to other snacks. Here are a few:
- Delicious Flavor: The combination of brie, caramelized onions and puff pastry creates an unforgettable flavor combination that you’ll want to savor.
- Easy to Make: With only a few ingredients and a few minutes of prep time, you can easily whip up a batch of these delicious pinwheels.
- Versatile: You can customize your pinwheels with various fillings, such as mushrooms, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and more.
- Healthy Option: Brie and caramelized onions are both low in calories and fat, making them a healthier snack option than many others.
- Perfect for Entertaining: With their impressive flavor and look, these pinwheels will be the star of any party or gathering.
There’s no doubt that brie and caramelized onion pinwheels are a great snack option.
What extra ingredients can you add to the brie and caramelized onion pinwheels to make them even more flavorful?
You can easily customize the flavor of your Brie and Caramelized Onion Pinwheels by adding a few extra ingredients. Consider adding some fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or oregano for an earthy flavor. Or, if you want something a bit more savory, add some chopped bacon to the filling. Adding a bit of crushed red pepper flakes is also a great way to give the pinwheels an extra kick of heat. You can also create a sweet-and-savory combination by adding some maple syrup or honey to the caramelized onions before rolling them up in the dough. No matter what you decide to add, you can make these pinwheels your own and create a unique flavor that your family and friends will love.
What are some creative ways to serve brie and caramelized onion pinwheels?
You can’t go wrong with serving brie and caramelized onion pinwheels at your next gathering! They’re simple to make, delicious to eat, and always a crowd pleaser! To really make them stand out, though, try serving them with one of these creative ideas:
- Serve them warm with a balsamic reduction – the tartness of the balsamic pairs perfectly with the creamy brie and sweet caramelized onions.
- Add a little crunch with a topping of chopped nuts or crushed croutons.
- Dip them in a herbed or honey mustard sauce for a unique flavor.
- Serve them with a sweet dipping sauce such as a raspberry or strawberry sauce.
- Make them mini-pinwheels and serve them as hors d’oeuvres or appetizers.
- Top them with a dollop of chutney or salsa for a spicy twist.
- Wrap them in prosciutto or bacon for a savory, salty addition.
How long should you bake the brie and caramelized onion pinwheels to get the perfect texture?
You want to bake your brie and caramelized onion pinwheels to a perfect golden brown that’s soft and flaky on the inside. To achieve the ideal texture, bake the pinwheels for around 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep an eye on the pinwheels while they’re baking and take them out when they’re golden brown.
For the best results, use high-quality puff pastry dough and make sure it’s rolled out thinly. The thinner the dough, the crispier the pockets of brie and caramelized onions will be. If it’s rolled out too thick, the inside might not cook evenly and the pinwheels will be soggy.
When the pinwheels are golden brown, remove them from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes before serving.
What type of brie cheese should you use to make the brie and caramelized onion pinwheels?
If you’re looking for a delicious appetizer to wow your guests, look no further than brie and caramelized onion pinwheels! The combination of creamy brie and sweet caramelized onions is sure to tantalize the taste buds. But what type of brie cheese should you use? The best cheese for these pinwheels is a soft and creamy triple crème brie.
Triple crème brie has a higher fat content than other types of brie, giving it a rich and creamy texture. This type of cheese has a mild, slightly sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweet caramelized onions. Plus, triple crème brie is soft enough to easily spread on the puff pastry, making it ideal for rolling into pinwheels.
When shopping for brie cheese, look for the words “triple crème” on the label. This type of brie is usually labeled as a triple crème or triple cream cheese. It generally comes in a small, round wheel, which is perfect for slicing into thin pieces for the pinwheels. If you have trouble finding triple crème brie, you can also use a soft brie or even a camembert cheese.
So when you’re making brie and caramelized onion pinwheels, be sure to use a triple crème brie for the best results.