I absolutely love baking bread, and this Braided Italian Herb Bread is one of my all-time favorite recipes! The aroma of rosemary, oregano, and thyme fills the kitchen while the bread is baking, and the combination of herbs gives the bread a wonderful flavor. The loaves have a beautiful golden-brown color, and the braided shape makes them look extra special. I’m always proud to serve up a loaf of this bread, and I know it will be a hit with everyone who tries it!
Braided Italian Herb Bread Recipe
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Gather all your ingredients: 3 teaspoons of active dry yeast, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 cups of warm water, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 6-7 cups of all-purpose flour, and 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning.
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water in a large bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, olive oil, and 3 cups of flour to the bowl and mix it together.
- Gradually add the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until the dough is soft and manageable.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning onto the dough and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into three portions.
- Roll each portion into a long rope, about 24 inches in length.
- Braid the ropes together and place the braid onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cover the braid and let it rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and bake the bread for 25 minutes.
- Let the braided Italian herb bread cool before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 458
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 82 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Sodium: 542 mg
- Sugars: 6 g
What makes braided italian herb bread so special?
You might be wondering what makes braided Italian herb bread so special? Well, the answer is simple: it’s truly delicious! This bread is made with a tasty combination of herbs like basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. It has a light and fluffy texture, with a nice crunchy crust on top. It’s the perfect companion to a warm bowl of soup or a hearty salad.
But what really sets this bread apart from other types of bread is its unique braid shape. This intricate pattern is created by carefully intertwining the dough in a specific way. It adds a visually appealing element to the bread that is both beautiful and unique.
Plus, this bread has a lot of added benefits. The herbs give it a wonderful flavor, and the braiding technique helps to keep the bread moist and fluffy. It also helps to keep the bread from becoming crumbly or dry.
Overall, braided Italian herb bread is a great choice for any meal. Whether you’re looking for something to serve as the main course or just a side dish, this bread will definitely be the star of the show. With its unique flavor, texture, and presentation, it’s no wonder why this bread is so special.
What are some creative ways to incorporate herbs into your braided italian herb bread?
When it comes to incorporating herbs into your braided Italian herb bread, the possibilities are endless! Here are some creative ideas for making your bread even tastier and more flavorful:
- For a great savory kick, try adding fresh rosemary and oregano to your dough. This combination is perfect for bread to be served alongside a hearty meal.
- For a more subtle flavor, add basil and thyme to your dough. This combination works well for sandwiches and is an excellent way to add a little extra flavor to your bread.
- If you’re looking for an even more unique flavor, try adding sage and chives to your dough. This combination has a unique earthy flavor that is sure to be a hit.
- For a sweet and spicy kick, try adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves to your dough. This combination is perfect for sweet and savory dishes, like a breakfast strata.
No matter what herbs you choose to add to your braided Italian herb bread, you can be sure that it will be full of flavor and sure to please all who try it.
How do you make your own braided italian herb bread?
Making your own braided Italian herb bread is easy and enjoyable! Here’s how:
- Gather the ingredients: You will need all-purpose flour, sugar, active dry yeast, olive oil, warm water, an egg, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Prepare the dough: In a large bowl, mix together 1 ½ cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 package of active dry yeast. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 cup of warm water and 1 egg. Stir until the ingredients are combined and a soft dough is formed. Knead the dough for about 8 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Add the Italian seasoning: Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rise for about an hour. Once the dough has doubled in size, add the Italian seasoning and salt. Knead the dough until the seasoning is incorporated.
- Shape the dough: Divide the dough into three equal portions and roll each one into an 18-inch rope. Braid the ropes together and tuck the ends in to form a loaf.
- Bake the bread: Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes, or until it is golden brown. Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
What are the benefits of using herbs in your bread?
You’ll experience an explosion of flavor in your bread when you add herbs! Whether you’re making a classic braided Italian herb bread or adding herbs for an extra layer of flavor to your favorite recipes, you’re sure to get a delicious dish that everyone will love. Here are some of the benefits of using herbs in your bread:
- Herbs provide a natural flavor boost. Herbs are packed with flavor, so adding them to your bread can take a simple recipe to the next level. Herbs like oregano, rosemary, and garlic can give your bread a delicious, savory kick.
- Herbs are great for your health. Many herbs are high in vitamins and minerals. Adding them to your bread is a great way to get more of these essential nutrients into your diet.
- Herbs are a great way to get creative. You can experiment with different herbs to create new and exciting flavors that you won’t find anywhere else. Try adding herbs like thyme and basil to give your bread a unique, herby twist.
- Herbs are easy to use. You don’t need to be an expert chef to use herbs in your bread. Just add a teaspoon of your favorite herb and you’re all set!.
Using herbs in your bread is a great way to enjoy delicious flavors and get creative in the kitchen.
What are the tips and tricks for getting the perfect braided italian herb bread every time?
Are you looking to make the perfect braided Italian herb bread every time? Here are some tips and tricks to get you started on your journey towards bread-making excellence:
- Start by gathering the right tools. You’ll need a large bowl for the dough, a small bowl for the herbs, a rolling pin, a sharp knife, and a baking sheet.
- The next step is to mix up the dough. Combine all-purpose flour, sugar, yeast, water, and oil in the bowl and mix until the dough forms a ball. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 8-10 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Now it’s time to add the herbs. Mix together herbs such as oregano, basil, garlic, and rosemary in the small bowl. Then add the herb mixture to the dough and knead for another 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle and brush with melted butter. Then sprinkle with the herbs and roll the dough up into a log.
- Cut the log into two equal pieces and braid them together. Place the braided dough onto a baking sheet and let it rise for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 25-30 minutes.
How do you store and serve braided italian herb bread?
Storing and Serving Braided Italian Herb Bread is easy! Here’s what you need to do:
- If you are planning to serve the bread immediately, simply leave it out at room temperature and it will stay fresh for up to four days.
- If you need to store the bread for longer, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to a week.
- To serve the bread, slice it into thick pieces and serve it warm or at room temperature.
- If you are feeling fancy, you can garnish the bread with fresh herbs, or serve it with butter or olive oil on the side.
How long does it take to bake a braided italian herb bread?
It only takes about 40 minutes to bake a delicious braided Italian herb bread. With a few simple ingredients like flour, olive oil, eggs, and herbs, you can quickly create a delectable bread to serve your family and friends.
To make your own braided Italian herb bread, you’ll first need to prepare the dough. Start by combining the warm water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes until it starts to bubble. In another bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and herbs.
Once the dough is ready, knead it for about 5 minutes on a floured surface until it’s smooth and elastic. Then, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Braid the three ropes together to form the bread and place it on a greased baking sheet.
Brush the top of the bread with an egg wash and bake it in the preheated oven at 375°F for 30-40 minutes. The bread should be golden brown and have a flaky, crispy crust. Let the bread cool before slicing and serving.
Baking a braided Italian herb bread is a simple and rewarding experience. In just 40 minutes, you can savor the delicious aroma of freshly baked bread wafting through your kitchen.