I love to eat, and I’m always looking for new recipes to try. My absolute favorite is the Beef and Scallion Rolls (Negimaki), a delicious combination of beef and scallion wrapped in thinly-sliced beef. The beef and scallion combination is one of my favorite flavor profiles, and these rolls take it to a whole new level! They are easy to make, and so delicious that everyone who tries them loves them. Plus, the presentation is beautiful and will definitely impress your dinner guests. Even if you’re not a master chef, you can make this tasty dish. Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Beef and Scallion Rolls (Negimaki) Recipe
- 2 lbs. flank steak, sliced thin
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- Salt, to taste
- 5 sheets of roasted seaweed (nori)
- Start by prepping your ingredients. Cut the flank steak into thin slices and cut the scallions into 2-inch lengths.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. Mix together and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef slices and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Add the scallions to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and the beef and scallions are lightly coated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and season with salt to taste.
- Place one sheet of roasted seaweed on a cutting board and spoon a layer of the beef and scallion mixture onto the sheet. Roll the sheet up, starting at one end and rolling it towards the other.
- Repeat steps 7-8 with the remaining sheets of seaweed and beef filling.
- Place the Beef and Scallion Rolls on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for 30-45 minutes.
- Allow the rolls to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories: 240 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Sodium: 590mg
- Potassium: 268mg
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 4g
- Vitamin A: 28IU
- Vitamin C: 0.9mg
- Calcium: 10mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
What is beef and scallion rolls (negimaki)?
If you’re looking for a delicious, savory dish, look no further than beef and scallion rolls (negimaki)! This Japanese dish is made of tender beef rolls wrapped around fresh scallions and grilled to perfection. It’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures, with the juicy beef and the crunchy scallions balancing each other out. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy to make and can be served as a main course or as a side dish.
The dish is traditionally made from thinly sliced beef, such as sirloin, that is rolled around scallions and grilled or broiled. The beef is often marinated in a combination of sake, mirin (a sweet rice wine), soy sauce, and sugar for a few hours before cooking. This marinade adds a sweet and salty flavor to the beef and further tenderizes it. The marinated beef is then wrapped around the scallions and grilled until the beef is cooked through and the scallions are lightly charred.
Negimaki is typically served with a dipping sauce, such as a teriyaki or ponzu sauce. The dish can also be served with other accompaniments, such as cooked vegetables, rice, or noodles. You can also try adding different ingredients to the rolls for extra flavor and texture, such as shiitake mushrooms, asparagus, or bell peppers.
Beef and scallion rolls (negimaki) is an easy and delicious dish that can be served as a main course or a side dish. The combination of juicy beef and crunchy scallions is a perfect balance of flavors and textures that is sure to please any crowd.
What makes negimaki so delicious?
You know something is really delicious when you can’t stop eating it! That’s how it is with Negimaki, the Japanese beef and scallion rolls. The combination of marinated beef, scallions, and teriyaki sauce makes for a delicious, flavorful dish that’s hard to resist.
The marinade for the beef gives an incredible depth of flavor, and the scallions add the perfect crunchy texture. The teriyaki sauce adds the perfect amount of sweetness and subtle umami flavor. All these elements together create a unique flavor profile that’s unlike anything else you’ve ever tasted.
The presentation is also part of what makes Negimaki so delicious. The rolls look impressive and make for a great presentation on the plate. They are also easy to make, so you can impress your guests with this beautiful dish.
Overall, the combination of marinated beef, scallions, and teriyaki sauce creates a unique flavor and texture that’s hard to beat. The presentation also adds to the deliciousness. If you’re looking for a delicious and impressive dish, Negimaki is the perfect choice.
What are the key ingredients in negimaki?
Negimaki is a delicious and unique Japanese dish featuring beef and scallions rolled up together. The key ingredients in negimaki are thinly sliced beef, scallions, sake, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin.
The beef is the star of the show, as it provides the main source of protein. Look for thinly sliced beef, preferably sirloin, as this is what will give negimaki its signature flavor. The scallions add a wonderful oniony flavor that compliments the beef nicely.
The sake, soy sauce, sugar, and mirin are the other key components of negimaki. The sake is used to tenderize the beef and give it a layer of flavor. Soy sauce and mirin complement the beef and add a delicious umami taste. The sugar helps balance out the flavors and adds a bit of sweetness to the dish.
When combined together, these ingredients create a wonderful and unique flavor that is sure to please any palate. With these simple ingredients, you can make a delicious, restaurant-quality negimaki right in your own kitchen.
What are the steps for making negimaki?
Making negimaki is easier than you may think! These Japanese beef and scallion rolls are a tasty way to switch up your dinner routine. All you need is some thinly sliced beef, scallions, sugar, soy sauce, and a few other ingredients to get started. Here are the steps for making negimaki:
- Marinate the Beef – Start by marinating the beef in a mixture of sugar, sake, soy sauce, and mirin. Leave the beef to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Scallions – Cut the scallions into 3-inch pieces and blanch them in hot water. Once the scallions have softened, cool them in an ice bath. This will help them retain their bright green color.
- Roll the Beef – Place a slice of beef on a flat surface and top it with a few pieces of scallions. Roll the beef up tightly and secure it with a toothpick. Repeat this process until all of the beef has been used.
- Cook the Rolls – Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the beef rolls on a baking sheet and brush them with a mixture of soy sauce and mirin. Bake them for about 25 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.
- Enjoy Your Negimaki – Once the rolls are cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
What are some variations of negimaki?
When it comes to Negimaki, you can get creative! Negimaki is the Japanese dish of beef and scallion rolls, and there are all kinds of variations you can try for a delicious and unique twist.
For starters, you can switch up the meat. Instead of beef, you can use chicken, pork, or even fish for a seafood version. You can also get creative with the fillings by adding things like mushrooms, peppers, or asparagus. You can even add rice or noodles to make the rolls more filling.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even fill your Negimaki rolls with sushi ingredients like avocado, cucumber, and salmon. Or, you can stuff them with ingredients like cream cheese and spinach. The possibilities are endless!
You can also try using different seasonings and sauces. For a Korean twist, you can use gochujang, a sweet and spicy red pepper paste. Or, you can use teriyaki sauce or even a honey-soy glaze. These sauces can be brushed over the rolls before or after cooking.
Negimaki can be cooked in a variety of ways. They can be grilled, fried, or even baked in the oven. You can also wrap them in bacon for a savory and smoky flavor.
No matter what variation you choose, Negimaki is sure to be a hit.
How can you serve negimaki for a delicious meal?
Serving negimaki for a delicious meal is simple! This Japanese delicacy, also known as beef and scallion rolls, is a classic appetizer or side dish. It’s made with thinly sliced beef rolled around scallions and then grilled or broiled. The result is a savory, tender, and flavorful dish that’s sure to please.
The best way to serve negimaki is to slice it into bite-sized pieces and arrange on a plate. This makes it easy for everyone to enjoy. You can serve it with a dipping sauce such as soy sauce and wasabi, or a sweet and sour sauce. For a more traditional presentation, you can serve it with a soy sauce-based dipping sauce called tare.
If you’re looking for a more substantial meal, you can serve negimaki with steamed rice or noodles. It also pairs nicely with vegetables, such as stir-fried bok choy or mushrooms. For a complete meal, you can also add a salad or soup.
No matter how you serve it, negimaki is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. With its savory flavor, tender texture, and easy preparation, it’s a great option for any occasion.