I’ll never forget the first time I made Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole. It was one of those recipes that promised so much, and it definitely delivered. With its sweet, crunchy topping and creamy, custardy center, this casserole is the definition of comfort food. It’s a delightful breakfast that is sure to please everyone at the table. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make – just mix, assemble, and let it sit overnight. So, let’s get baking!
Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 8 eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with the melted butter.
- Place the cubed French bread in the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top of the bread, if desired.
- Bake the casserole overnight, uncovered, or for at least 10 minutes.
- When the casserole is finished baking, drizzle maple syrup over the top, if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole!
- Calories: 370 calories
- Total fat: 13 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Sodium: 390 mg
- Total carbohydrates: 47 g
- Dietary fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 18 g
- Protein: 13 g
What is the best way to make an overnight french toast casserole?
The best way to make an overnight french toast casserole is to begin by layering the bread cubes into a greased baking dish. Then, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and top with melted butter. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. When ready to bake, top with a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon, pour over a mixture of melted butter and maple syrup, and bake until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar and an extra drizzle of maple syrup.
What are the key ingredients and how do they contribute to the flavor of the dish?
The key ingredients in a Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole are bread, eggs, milk, butter, sugar, and cinnamon. The bread provides a good base for the casserole and the eggs give it a creamy texture. The milk and butter provide a richness, while the sugar and cinnamon add sweetness and spice. All of these ingredients come together for a delicious flavor that is sure to please the whole family! The butter and sugar also help to caramelize the bread on top, creating a golden, crunchy crust.
How does this recipe compare to traditional french toast?
This Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole is a delicious twist on a classic breakfast dish. Here are some ways this recipe stands out from traditional French Toast:
- It’s made in one pan, so there’s no need to stand over the stove flipping individual pieces of toast.
- The overnight bake ensures the bread is soaked all the way through, giving it a creamy and soft texture.
- The optional addition of fresh fruit and nuts makes it a healthy and filling option.
- This recipe can easily be made vegan-friendly by substituting dairy-free milk and egg replacements.
- You can customize the flavors by adding whatever spices or extracts you prefer.
So if you’re looking for a delicious breakfast that’s easy to make and packed with flavor, this Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole is the perfect choice.
What are some tips for making this dish easy and hassle-free?
Prepare the casserole the night before: The great thing about this dish is that you can prepare it the night before, so you don’t have to worry about scrambling to get it ready in the morning. Simply mix together your ingredients in a baking dish, cover it with foil, and refrigerate it overnight.
- Use stale bread: Stale bread works best for this dish. If you don’t have stale bread, you can always put a few slices of white bread in the oven at a low temperature for a few minutes to dry them out.
- Use pre-made ingredients: To make this dish even easier, use pre-made ingredients, like store-bought eggnog, pre-sliced bread, and pre-made cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Don’t forget the toppings: Once your casserole is done baking, don’t forget to top it with some maple syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and some fresh berries.
What special occasions or holidays make this dish a great choice?
There’s no shortage of special occasions or holidays where Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole makes a great choice. It’s the perfect dish for a holiday breakfast like Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving, as it can be prepped the night before and popped into the oven the next morning. It’s also a delicious and easy brunch dish that can easily be served up for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, or a bridal or baby shower. And of course, it’s a great treat to serve up for a cozy winter night, like a snow day or a New Year’s celebration.
What are some creative ways to customize this recipe to suit different tastes?
When it comes to baking, the possibilities are endless! For this Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole, there are plenty of creative ways to customize it to your liking. Whether it’s adding a bit of spice, omitting ingredients, or tweaking the flavors, you can transform this recipe into a whole new breakfast dish. Here are some great ways to customize this recipe and make it your own.
First, why not add a little flavor and spice to the dish? You can add a few teaspoons of cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom to the custard to give it a bit of warmth. You can also add some chopped nuts, fruit, or chocolate chips if you’d like some texture.
Next, you can play around with the ingredients and omit certain elements of the recipe to suit different tastes. For example, if you don’t like the taste of maple syrup, you can skip that step and opt for honey or agave instead. You can also omit the cream cheese layer if you’re not a fan of its flavor.
Finally, you can customize the flavor of the dish by changing the type of bread you use. For example, you can switch out the white bread for whole wheat, or switch it up with a French baguette. You can also try a sweeter bread like cinnamon raisin, or even a savory bread like rye or pumpernickel.
These are just a few creative ways to customize the Baked Overnight French Toast Casserole to your liking. Get creative, experiment with different flavors, and you’ll be sure to have a delicious breakfast dish that’s perfect for any occasion.