The Perfectly Tart Amish Cran-Apple Pie
I love making pies. Biting into the sweet, buttery crust and the tangy apple filling is a pure delight. Making pies from scratch can be a labor of love, but the taste of a homemade pie is worth it. That’s why I’m so excited to share this Amish Cran-Apple Pie recipe with you. It’s a family recipe I’ve been making for years, and it never fails to impress. With a flaky pastry dough crust, a sweet-tart cran-apple filling, and a crunchy streusel topping, this pie is sure to become a favorite in your home. Let’s get baking!
Amish Cran-Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 cups peeled, cored and diced apples
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Let’s get started on some delicious Amish Cran-Apple Pie! Grab 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 cup of cold butter, and 4 tablespoons of ice water.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and butter until it forms a crumbly mixture. Then slowly add in the ice water and mix until it forms a ball.
- Place your dough ball on a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a circle. Place it in a 9-inch pie dish, trim the edges, and set it aside.
- To make the filling, mix together 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, 3 cups of peeled, cored, and diced apples, 2 cups of fresh cranberries, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Pour the filling over the pie crust and spread it out evenly. Place a piece of parchment paper over the pie and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Once the pie is done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy your Amish Cran-Apple Pie!
- Calories: 430
- Total Fat: 17g
- Sodium: 291mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 66g
- Sugars: 37g
- Protein: 5g
What is the amish tradition behind amish cran-apple pie?
The Amish tradition behind Amish Cran-Apple Pie is a long and cherished one! This classic dessert is believed to have originated in the 1700s when the Amish first settled in Pennsylvania. The recipe has been passed down through generations and has become a beloved favorite among both Amish and non-Amish alike.
The key ingredients of an Amish Cran-Apple Pie include tart apples, dried cranberries, and spices, all arranged in a flaky, buttery crust. The tartness of the apples and the sweetness of the cranberries combine to create a unique flavor that many find irresistible! The pie also typically includes a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, which adds a delightful creaminess to the dessert.
The Amish take great pride in their unique recipes and baking traditions. The recipe for Amish Cran-Apple Pie is a closely guarded secret and has been passed down through generations of Amish bakers. The unique flavor of the pie is one that many have come to love, and it remains a beloved part of Amish culture.
So, the next time you’re looking for a special dessert to share with family and friends, consider trying an Amish Cran-Apple Pie.
What are the health benefits of eating amish cran-apple pie?
The health benefits of eating Amish Cran-Apple Pie are numerous! This delicious treat is packed with nutrition, full of flavor, and sure to become a favorite of yours! Here are some of the benefits you can look forward to:
- Vitamins and Minerals: Amish Cran-Apple Pie is packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and potassium. This delicious treat will help you stay healthy and strong!.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Amish Cran-Apple Pie is a great source of antioxidants, which can help protect your body against oxidative stress and cell damage.
- Low in Calories: Enjoying a slice of Amish Cran-Apple Pie won’t ruin your diet – it’s low in calories and fat.
- High in Fiber: Amish Cran-Apple Pie is a great source of dietary fiber, which can help keep you full and aid digestion.
- Delicious Taste: Last but not least, Amish Cran-Apple Pie tastes amazing! Enjoy the sweet and tart flavors of apples and cranberries, combined with a flaky and buttery crust.
What are some tips and tricks for baking the perfect amish cran-apple pie?
The key to baking the perfect Amish cran-apple pie is to use fresh ingredients and follow the recipe closely.
- Make sure you use the right type of apples – Granny Smith apples are the most commonly used type for this type of pie.
- For the crust, make sure it is nice and flaky – you can do this by using cold butter and not overworking the dough.
- Roll out the dough to the right size and shape, as it will affect the appearance of your finished pie.
- For the best texture, mix in a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg with the apples and cranberry filling.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with the top of your pie – you can use lattice crusts, braids, or a traditional double-crust to create a unique look.
- Be sure to bake your pie long enough – it can take up to an hour for the filling to be cooked through and for the crust to be golden brown.
- Let your pie cool for at least an hour before serving – this will help ensure that the filling has properly set and will have a nice, thick consistency.
What is the traditional recipe for amish cran-apple pie?
The traditional recipe for Amish Cran-Apple Pie is a delicious combination of sweet and tart flavors that is sure to please. This classic pie starts with a flaky, buttery crust that is filled with tart cranberries and sweet apples. The filling is then topped off with a generous sprinkle of sugar and a sprinkling of nutmeg. The combination of flavors is both unique and delicious!
This classic pie is not only delicious, but it’s also easy to make. All you need are a few ingredients and a few simple steps. To make the filling, you’ll need: fresh apples, cranberries, sugar, nutmeg, and a few tablespoons of butter. To make the crust, you’ll need: all-purpose flour, cold butter, and a pinch of salt.
To begin, prepare the crust. In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Add a tablespoon of cold water and mix until it forms a ball of dough. Wrap the dough in plastic and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Next, prepare the filling. Start by peeling and cutting the apples into thin slices. In a large bowl, combine the apples, cranberries, sugar, and nutmeg. Mix until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
Now it’s time to assemble the pie. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Fill the dish with the apple-cranberry mixture. Dot with butter. Cut the edges of the dough and crimp. Cut vents in the top of the crust.
Finally, bake the pie for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Let the pie cool before serving.
What are some creative ways to serve amish cran-apple pie?
There are so many creative ways to serve up Amish Cran-Apple Pie! Here are a few of our favorite ideas that are sure to make this traditional dessert even more delicious:
- Amish Cran-Apple Pie Casserole: Turn this classic pie into a warm and comforting casserole! Start by combining cooked apples, cranberries, and spices in a large bowl and stir until everything is evenly mixed. Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish and top with a homemade pie crust. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes and enjoy!
- Amish Cran-Apple Pie Bites: These bite-sized treats are perfect for parties and entertaining! Start by rolling out your homemade dough and cutting into small circles. Add a teaspoon of the apple-cranberry mixture into each circle, fold over, and crimp the edges closed with a fork. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes and enjoy!
- Amish Cran-Apple Pie French Toast: Start your morning off right with this delicious twist on a classic breakfast dish! Begin by dipping thick slices of bread in a mixture of beaten eggs and milk. Place the slices in a hot skillet and cook until golden brown. To serve, top with a dollop of Amish cran-apple pie filling and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
How can amish cran-apple pie be customized to suit different tastes?
Adding your own special twists to Amish Cran-Apple Pie is an excellent way to make it your own. Whether you’re a fan of tart or sweet, there are many ways to customize this classic Amish recipe and add a personalized touch. Here are a few suggestions for how you can take your Amish Cran-Apple Pie to the next level.
For those who prefer a tart flavor, try adding a teaspoon of lemon juice or replacing some of the sugar with a sugar substitute. You can also adjust the ratio of cranberries and apples to have a more tart or sweet pie. If you like a sweeter flavor, consider adding more sugar or a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon for an extra burst of flavor.
For a creative twist, you can add chopped walnuts or pecans to the crust or top with a layer of streusel. If you’re looking for a more indulgent version, try drizzling melted butter and brown sugar over the pie before baking. For a healthier version, you can use a sugar-free substitute, whole wheat crust, or reduce the amount of butter used in the recipe.
No matter how you prefer to customize your Amish Cran-Apple Pie, it’s sure to be a hit. Get creative and experiment with different ingredients to suit your individual taste.