This recipe for almond shortbread is a classic favorite. The cookies are buttery and rich, with a delicate almond flavor. They are perfect for holiday cookie platters or any time you need a special treat.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
1. In a large bowl, beat butter with 1/2 cup sugar and almond extract until light and fluffy.
2. With a wooden spoon, stir in flour until smooth and well combined. Divide dough into 2 parts. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). On lightly sugared surface, roll out dough, one part at a time, about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out cookies with a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart 4 Make an indentation in the center of each cookie with the end of a wooden spoon 5 Bake in preheated oven until cookies are light golden brown around the edges 25 to 30 minutes While still warm roll in sugar 6 Cool completely on a wire rack Store in an air-tight container
- Calories: 1600
- Total Fat: 100g
- Saturated Fat: 60g
- Cholesterol: 240mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 176g
- Protein: 24g
Should shortbread be soft when it comes out of the oven?
Shortbread is a type of biscuit that is made from flour, sugar, butter, and sometimes salt. The dough is usually rolled out and then cut into shapes before being baked. Shortbread has a very distinctive taste and texture – it should be tender and melting, but also slightly crisp when you bite into it.
So, what does this all mean for how the shortbread should be when it comes out of the oven? Generally speaking, it should not be damp or wet – the ground shouldn’t be too moist. However, some people do like their shortbread to have a softer consistency. If this is the case, then you may want to take it out of the oven sooner rather than later. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.
If you’re unsure about whether your shortbread is done, err on the side of caution and take it out sooner rather than later.
What is almond used for in baking?
Almond is a popular ingredient in baking, due to its delicate taste and wide range of uses. Sweet almonds are the most commonly used type of almond in baking, as they add a lovely flavor to breads, cookies, cakes and other sweet treats. Bitter almonds can also be used in baking, but their strong flavor means they are best used sparingly or in savory dishes.
Almonds can be used whole, sliced, ground into a flour or paste, or even made into an extract. They are a versatile ingredient that can be added to both sweet and savory recipes. When using almonds in baking, it is important to remember that they can burn easily so should be added towards the end of the cooking time.
Here are some delicious recipes that feature almond:
– Almond Cookies: These simple cookies are made with just three ingredients – butter, sugar and ground almonds. They make for a deliciously crumbly cookie that melts in your mouth! – Chocolate Almond Cake: This rich chocolate cake is made even more indulgent with the addition of ground almonds – it’s sure to satisfy any sweet tooth! – Almond Croissants: Flaky croissants filled with almond paste make for a decadent breakfast treat.
What is the difference between almond flour and almond?
There are two main types of almond flour: blanched and unblanched. Blanched almond flour is made from almonds that have had their skins removed, while unblanched almond flour still has the skin on.
The main difference between these two types of flour is texture. Blanched almond flour is much finer, while unblanched almond flour has a coarser texture. This can be important in recipes where texture makes a big difference, such as baked goods.
Almond meal is also made from ground almonds, but with the skins intact. This results in a coarser flour that may not be suitable for all recipes.
Can you put almonds in shortbread?
Almonds are a popular ingredient in shortbread cookies. Many people love the flavor and texture that almonds add to these cookies. However, some people are allergic to almonds or simply do not like the taste of them.
If you want to put almonds in your shortbread cookies, you can certainly do so. Simply substitute almond flour for regular flour in the recipe, and top the cookies with sliced almonds before baking. This will give them a delicious almond flavor and added crunch.
What is the trick to shortbread?
The trick to shortbread is to let the dough dry out. This was done by bakers in Mary’s time by letting the dough rest in a warm oven. Drying out the dough before baking it at the proper temperature resulted in a lighter and sweeter shortbread.